Outdoor Hydro

• Thread starter Smoking Gun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

So for this summer I have decided to try some outdoor hydroponics to grow out some hot peppers. I was wondering if anyone here has run outdoor hydro set-ups before. If so what were the draw backs? What were the advantages? Are there going to be issues I have not foreseen? I greatly appreciate any advice that can be given.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Depends on your experience level. There are several "challenges" to outdoor hydroponics. What those are will depend on the environment and type of resources you have available to use.

Would need much information about the environment and the hardware to be able to help, but have grown many veggie gardens outside with Hydroponics. Probably one of my favorite ways to grow for sure!

Have you considered "Aquaponics" possibly? This is one of the BEST methods to growing PERIOD! You get awesome fish and great organic plants all in one big bang!

When using this method you basically cut cost for nutrients and water usage and space needed in half and sometimes much more depending on your technique. And the rewards are astronomical! When done correctly you create a "self sustained" environment! IMO it gets no better than that!

One year we used a product called "BioChar" but this was just a RDWC system outside, no fish just plants. Anyhow using the BioChar only, we were able to run the entire grow cycles to harvest with green peppers with no water changes and no nutrients added at all. Amazing stuff as it produced some of the healthiest plants I have ever seen to date!

All we did was feed the biology in the water.

Cheers!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Depends on your experience level. There are several "challenges" to outdoor hydroponics. What those are will depend on the environment and type of resources you have available to use.

Would need much information about the environment and the hardware to be able to help, but have grown many veggie gardens outside with Hydroponics. Probably one of my favorite ways to grow for sure!

Have you considered "Aquaponics" possibly? This is one of the BEST methods to growing PERIOD! You get awesome fish and great organic plants all in one big bang!

When using this method you basically cut cost for nutrients and water usage and space needed in half and sometimes much more depending on your technique. And the rewards are astronomical! When done correctly you create a "self sustained" environment! IMO it gets no better than that!

One year we used a product called "BioChar" but this was just a RDWC system outside, no fish just plants. Anyhow using the BioChar only, we were able to run the entire grow cycles to harvest with green peppers with no water changes and no nutrients added at all. Amazing stuff as it produced some of the healthiest plants I have ever seen to date!

All we did was feed the biology in the water.

Cheers!

Ok, so a bit more about the details, I am looking to grow hot peppers in DWC buckets; I am still debating on whether to run 3 or 5 gallon buckets but I am leaning heavily towards 3 gallon buckets as hot pepper roots do not get as big as other plant species. Using DWC buckets is simply to keep the initial costs down to a minimum. Another reason for this project is to test the Bloom (yellow bottles) nutrient line (Euro A & B, Sea Fuel, Sea Minerals and Seaweed). My biggest concern is the temperature of the water in the buckets. I was planning on digging holes large enough to fit at least 3/4 of the buckets into the ground to help insulate the water. My other concern is how often I should be switching out my water, but that is a bit less of a concern and something I am perfectly happy learning as I go along.

The set up will be in my backyard in a spot that will have direct sunlight about 6-8 hours a day, thought it will be near other larger bushes and trees that will offer some shade. I have an available power source for the air pump, so that is no issue.

Aquaponics is next years project. I have been doing some research into Aquaponics and am seeing that as the wave of the future in growing and even a revival of the small farm. If you can grow fish and plants in the same space you can double your profits in the same amount of space with no additional input. One big drawback for me with aquaponics is that where I live we have cold winters that the fish or plants would not survive. My other idea in conjunction with that was to build a greenhouse to house the aquaponics setup, but at the moment it is all out of my current budget.

vaporedout

vaporedout

i havent even searched this yet, but if its what im imagining then how cool would it be to have that..... im thinking this could be an idea

Higher Altitude

Higher Altitude

I have grown a few seasons of outdoor hydro for vegetables but the biggest challenge I found was keeping the solution cool enough to prevent algae from growing.
While a chiller would work well in an indoor application,
It would most likely not be cost effective for an outdoor garden.

Haze

Haze

Altitude is correct, there is a very good chance you will have issues keeping your fluids cool enough.

Luke OReilly

Luke OReilly

Some of the advantages seen when using hydroponics are due to the system being kept indoors and the conditions provided to your pants consistent. Once you move outdoors you loose a lot of control over the photo period, temperature and and other environmental conditions. When you provide you plants with a consistent photo period they will develop a routine that efficiently uses all the Co2, light energy and nutrients they can. I feel you would loose many of the perceived benefits of hydroponic gardening by moving your set up outdoors.

S

SucanatBuddy

I grow hot peppers outdoors in a NW area that gets 12-14 hours of sunlight, in a raised bed. Love them. we also grow Avocado's, Lemons, Peaches, Seedless Mandarin Oranges,(the BEST), seedless navel oranges, apricots, carrots, Artichokes, Blackberries, Summer squash, Tomatoes,and many herbs. For my herbs, I set up a vegetative room tent(4'x2'x5') and a Flower Tent(4x4x6.5) on an outdoor terrace. Weather can be difficult as can managing heat and humidity, high winds and rain, must be managed. Make double sure you are 20% under maximum wattage, all connections all set up safely, strips and/or boxes dry and secure, working in an outside grow tent is challenging, and I am in So. Cal! I learned many lessons the hard way, and continue to learn daily. Growing is chess, not Checkers, plan days and weeks in advance, anticipate and map out your grow set up. Do not forget circulation. Hydro or soil, outdoor grow areas all have the advantages/disadvantages of working with, or against, mother nature, heat, rain, sudden showers and wind can rise to red alert status. I have a large 470 CFM Air Scrubber, inline fan. I run it all day, 12/12 in sync, then for 20 minutes every 1-1 1/2 hours from 7pm until 7am. this solved a large outdoor grow problem. . . HEAT!!! The heat got to 113, RH stayed 40-55%, without the scrubber, it was and often 98-100 with 82-85 or lower ambiant temps. i run two clip on fans to keep the ladies dancing but the exhaust system has dropped the temps by 10-15 degrees!! What used to create 102 degree heat in the tent is now 86-88 and the plants love it!! As for hydro, not my expertise. I am a PC and a dirt guy. I do but enjoy using rock wool for clones and would try a clay pellet/bucket type of system. I almost bought this one. . . http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bucket-Water-Bubbler-System/dp/B0047PO26M/ref=pd_sbs_lg_4
or this one http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bucket-Water-Hydroponic-System/dp/B003QRBZ6M/ref=pd_sbs_lg_2
I think these would work best outdoors, again, not my area.
My girls:

Day30
Day29 WhiteUrkle
Day29 KaliKandy
Top Bottom