Outdoor in the ground date?

• Thread starter Dank Sinatra
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

So i have a buddy who lives up by boulder, he's tucked away up in the canyon, fully medical and wants to put a few babies outside this summer. He doesn't know when to put them outside so they wont freeze/ they'll finish up in time.

On the issue of freezing i said porbably not yet, we can't put our basil out yet... what night time temps is he looking for to stay safe?

Also, If you bee in colorado for a season when do the plants normally come down?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do you know the local last frost date? That's what a lot of people I know in Cali go for (including in the mountains), seems like it's the way to go out there, too. Can't answer the other except to say that I take 'em down mid-October, lands right there every year.

Btw, freezing temps will not kill them, unless they're terribly stressed otherwise, but I have yet to see it happen and I've tried. Heat and drought stress will, but freezing will just slow down or stop growth. I've had plants survive just fine @15F overnight temps (hoped it would kill them).

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I am shooting for mid June out here on the front range

Tex

rockymtnbuds

rockymtnbuds

Mine are going out this week end. They'll be in containers. Last year I harvested the end of Oct.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Hailed today in Boulder, killed a few outdoor gardens. I believe June 1st is the rule of thumb 'round here with the locals, but what do I know? Low chance of another serious freeze right now, but its a bit too wet and chilli this spring to make most varieties comfortable out there. How far up the canyon he is will also matter (elevation), and if he is in the canyon, can he get at least a good solid 6 hours of direct sunlight to his garden?

To get an earlier start, he will need some kind of cover, hoop house, greenhouse, etc, and have sufficient warmth and sunlight. Remember, cold + humid = mold. Plants should be sufficiently vegged and well rooted before being put outside, and be in good general health beforehand to withstand the elements. As far as varieties, you should pick strains that will be ready for harvest in mid to late September, as there can be early October snowstorms. My buddy tells me the best outdoor weed in Colorado is the stuff that stays out for the first frost, and you have to dust snow off your buds the next day....good luck!

Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

Been a while, been out to cali and seen some pretty set ups. Got a friend whos going to put his 3 outside this year finally. Going to check the frost date this week and see what the dealio is. But re asking any folks who are new to the forum :)

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Well, not new to the forum, but new to this 'thread' (the word I think you were looking for).

Elevation #1 determinate of temperature in Colorado, usually. You already gave latitude, the other.
Colorado also has micro climates, some warmer than others, probably not much up that way, but maybe.
Other plants are good indicators too, look around, when does the Spring bloom really take off around you.

Good luck, in a pinch cover plant and pray.

T

TopRock

were here at 7200ft on the western slope, into the greenhouse on apr1 or the first week, with heat at night, and additional light till june. june first or there abouts is when we put um in there pots.

we get a freeze last week of may first week of june, every freakin year. comes with a hard frost at times, and i can say they will not survive it, havent in the past. last week of sept beginnin of oct we get the first hard freeze, if you dont cover your plants, i guarantee the bud will freeze like a rock, sure they defrost but once dried there brown and nasty.

now like stated above, theres many micro climates just here in the valley temps differ 20+/- from the valley floor 5000ft to us at times. then theres the inversion, cold as hates in the valley and nice and warm on top the mountain 10,000ft.

rule of thumb here in CO, plant first week of june, harvest first weeks of oct. pretty much need to just have at it and keep track of whats happenin in your area year after year.

outdoor growin is very basic and quite easy once set up and well worth the effort.

bevin

bevin

I usually try to plant outdoors after mothers day here on the front range. Or you can plant out when tomatos are ready to plant out

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Check your hardiness zone. Most of the Front Range is either 5a or 5b. And then go by the recommended planting date for fast growing annuals, like tomatos, etc.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Starting blackout in greenhouse soon.....

Top Bottom