Outdoor Low Light Situation. Progressive/gradual Harvesting

• Thread starter Byros
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Byros

Aloha,

I am a new grower, working on my 3rd grow. We rent a very small place in Hawaii. No space inside. Very little space outside. Outside is filled with problems. I got a spot that is stealth so far. But, the plants are backed up into a corner and only get afternoon sun. But, with what light they get, they do amazing. They are located on the north side of the yard, picking up more nice, direct Hawaiian sun-rays as the sun shifts south for the winter. Right now I have an Aurora Indica that is 8 weeks in bloom. Half of the plant is looking ready to harvest. The other half looks like it needs another month or so.

Rotating the plants- I don't know if it is a good idea to turn the plants so all sides get the same amount of sunshine. I've just left this indica alone, with very little rotating. The back/shady side definitely show weakness (maybe even a fungus) from the lack of light.

I was going to do a gradual harvest. Picking what ripens, leaving the rest until they also ripen. The plant is also still putting on new blooms. I've never read of anyone doing this and wondered if the buds left a month or so longer to mature would be less potent than the buds that matured earlier. Or if there are any other issue to beware of. I could rotate the plant more often. I may have to. But, I have severe health issues and it's not easy anymore for me to rotate seven 15 gallon buckets every day or even every week.

I've tried working with AF's:

I've worked with AF's as a part of my grow on the last two grows. They do great in this area. However, I am not happy with the lower potency that the AFs seem to have. It's too bad because the AF's are super, super easy and fast to produce bud. Unreal how far that's come. And, I've read on line that they can handle the lower light better than the feminized or regulars. However, so far, I am finding these ruderalis hybirds to be a waste of time. No potency . . . for the strains I've tried anyway. I'll take suggestions on AF's if they are as easy to grow as the one's i've had. The other thing is production. Small harvests. Same schedule- every day the food, the water, the care, the staring at the beauty of the bud and flower. But, in the end, a whole lot less bud than a feminized or regular seed.

So, getting back to growing from feminized Aurora Indica that I currently have:

1. Because they barely get 5.5 hrs. of direct sunlight per day (at times, less), and they are backed up into a corner, not all buds are ready together. And, I have dead spots on the back/shady side of the plant. Should I rotate the plants? If so, how often? Or is it better to leave the bucket alone and live with the smaller crop/yield? Or is my choice on that one? Leaving it alone leaves a dead spot but also makes the buds on the sunny side even bigger.

2. On a gradual or progressive harvest idea, cutting what's ready and waiting for what's not? Is that good or bad or what? The plant is 8 weeks in bloom. Half the plant is almost ready (plenny brown hairs, some milky trichs, still no amber). The other half of the plant doesn't even have brown hairs yet. I was planning on cutting the amber trichs when ready and waiting on the rest. Whadoyathink?

3. Are there any strains (higher THC, mo betah) that thrive in a low amount of direct sunlight/time situation like mine?. They get awesome sun in the after noon from about noon until sundown. But, I'd like to get a higher quality of bud if I can. Are there any strains out there that might thrive more than others in a low light situation like mine?

Thanks for sharing your grow wisdom. We are supposed to have dispensaries coming to Hawaii. But, it may be a while. In the mean time, it's fun to experience why these islands can produce some of the best outdoor weed in the world. Amazing aloha sunshine.

outnin

outnin

hello there,
first of all if there was a marijuana growing paradise it would be hawaii pot plants love the air and the mild temps but what they really love is that volcanic soil.
to answer your questions,
1, When I grow outdoors I always use smart pot or something full of soil so I can rotate them and move them around every day 90 degrees they get fuller overall and finish evenly.

2, A sequential harvest is fine just use clean tools. the plant may go into shock for a couple of days but will then bounce back.
3, you live in freakin paradise if it were me I would try out some of the old school sativas like jack harrer etc. soaring highs and island tastes mmmm. any strain will do well there I would steer clear of feminized seeds though.

best of luck to you

TravelinSam

TravelinSam

I tried a staggered harvest, but it may have triggered the plant to start turning into a hermaphrodite. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a newbie so any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
In my opinion, the issue is genetics, not what you've done in terms of harvest.

Top Bottom