Outdoor mulching

• Thread starter zappafan99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zappafan99

I went down from the top post down to about the tenth thread and examined the pictures and found no mulch. Is there a reason against mulching for outdoor cannabis?

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
No. I use to use newspaper and leaves but now I use landscaper cloth and leaves. Holds down weeds and holds in water.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use Kellogg's 'Patio' soil or whatever it's called. They intend for it to be used as a soil, but it's mostly wood chips, works much better as a mulch. It's a must in my garden, an absolute must.

Blaze

Blaze

Always mulch - it has a ton of benefits. You will use less water, your plant's root zone will stay cooler, which will promote better growth and create a healthier environment for the soil biology.

The only thing you need to watch out for with mulch, is that if you use straw, or something similar, sometimes you can get rodents living in the base of your plant which can cause damage.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good point, Blaze. Out here the county requires freshly turned ground (construction) to be overlaid with straw mulch. That brings out BUTTLOADS of pinchbugs (aka earwigs). Anywhere there's a lot of decomposing material and cooler soil temps you'll find them, in droves.

Last year they got so bad they were dropping from the ceiling into my drinks. EWWWW!!!

Z

zappafan99

Thanks on the info everybody. I love the info about the earwig infestation. I had what would have been a beneficial one had I been growing indoors. Tens of thousands of ladybugs used to hatch at my house every year and I had them bouncing around the house constantly. I grow guerrilla style and I guess some of the gardens I looked at are legal garden beds. A patch you could get to and maintain daily might not need to much mulching. My first thought was that all that dark brown soil in the middle of a green forest sticks out like a sore thumb, especially from above. Plants don't grow with a big brown circle around them, much less in big, brown rectangular beds. I'm covering my plants with what is on the forest floor to camouflage my plants in with the surroundings. I'm in south eastern pine woods and am hoping all that lime I put out counterbalances the acids in the oak and pine needles.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks on the info everybody. I love the info about the earwig infestation. I had what would have been a beneficial one had I been growing indoors. Tens of thousands of ladybugs used to hatch at my house every year and I had them bouncing around the house constantly. I grow guerrilla style and I guess some of the gardens I looked at are legal garden beds. A patch you could get to and maintain daily might not need to much mulching. My first thought was that all that dark brown soil in the middle of a green forest sticks out like a sore thumb, especially from above. Plants don't grow with a big brown circle around them, much less in big, brown rectangular beds. I'm covering my plants with what is on the forest floor to camouflage my plants in with the surroundings. I'm in south eastern pine woods and am hoping all that lime I put out counterbalances the acids in the oak and pine needles.
Pine needles can be a fantastic mulch. You're correct about the lime. How's the soil itself? That mulch will prevent other plants from establishing too closely to your girls, you may not want that, may be better to let the brambles and weeds grow up close if it's a guerilla grow. You're correct, mine is a legal garden (doesn't mean my county is friendly, though).

Z

zappafan99

I made 2.5 to 3 ft sq holes in red brick clay and have filled with a peat/verm/per. starter mix with a wetting agent. I mix 1 bag more of verm. and perl. to this, add some mixed nuggets for solidity. I add lime for all the verm. and pine/oak acids. I put some organic fast and slow release with some worm castings, a tinge of a 20-20-20 and a little kelp. I let that sit for a month before planting to allow it to cool off. I am growing about 20 females this way. I am also growing in 5gal containers with the same mix. I can get to my plants about 2 times a week if needed. I stay away, but can keep a watch and tend them as needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom