Outdoor Organic Grow - Need Some Help!

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

Ok, i am doing my first real organic outdoor grow this summer with some Iranian Auto's from Greenthumb.. Anyways, i am probably 2-3 weeks away from harvest and i've got some questions.. A few of my plants are really lacking in yield, now i understand with organic growing if you aren't giving tea's regularly or have a strong soil base then you will have lowered yields for sure.. A coupole of my plants have fairly decent sized buds and they still have a couple weeks left so im not too worried about them, but some of the plants have such small buds they wont even amount to anything at all once dried.. I have resisted the urge so far to add or do anything that would mess with my microlife.. As far as feeding is concerned though i have only been giving Organicare Pure dry nutes for fertilizer... Besides that i have just relied on whats in my soil.. My soil consists of some pro mix for texture, then i used lots of fresh bagged compost, earth worm castings, sheep shit some organic topsoil and lots of perlite. I noticed on one of my plants the lower leaves were all starting to fade quite a bit, but it seemed a little to early to be doing this.. I had a friend make me up a tea the other day for the first time and gave them that.. I had him make it so it was a little light on nitrogen, i wanted to kind of slow them down from robbing the plants of nitrogen, but i didn't want to give them so much that they start wanting to produce leaf.. Another thing i noticed on a few plants is there is barely any crystal at all, so for those plants i have been getting the urge to switch back to bottle feeding to try and pack on a little bit of size and some crystal for the final couple or 3 weeks... Now if i switch from organics to bottle feedin g with earth juice, which should start screwing with my microlife from the heavy chelating acids in the EJ, will this do to much damage to my plants or is the switch from organic growing to bottle feeding a smooth transistion?? Or should i just resist the urge to bottle feed and keep them organic? The thing is i know my yields are going to be next to nothing on some plants. Should i maybe just give them a couple more strong tea's with more P to get some crystal production going? Atleast a couple opf my plants are fine, decent sized buds and lots of crystal, so i should atleast get to experience some real organic bud here soon.. JJust wondering what i can do to save my plants that have really tiny buds and barely any crystal production...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
its too hard for my stoned brain to read all that :rolleyes:

But I think your yields are low because you are growing autos ;)

Maybe, Give them some molasses ?

Kebz

Kebz

Autos have notoriously yielded low with an oz being majorly good and 12 - 15grams not being uncommon. From what I understand they like a heavy feed from start and to start in the pot they will finish in. They seem to be getting better, I'm just finishing a cheese candy that should yield a reasonable amount. It was potted into old compost and never really fed, the way I look at it, it was free and it'll give me something to smoke until the proper plants finish off!

Autos seem to finish top down and produce a high leaf to bud ratio.

Here's the top of the plant while the bottom still finishes outdoors

Auto Cheese Candy
IMG 0650 IMG 0655

Bottom line - I guess find an auto with more afgan/skunk than auto in the mix.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Afghi, you should be just fine using the Earth Juice, it's organic, is even OMRI listed if I recollect, and should absolutely not hurt your microlife. Without pix, it does sound as though they're a wee bit hungry. Also, could the pots have gotten a bit too hot? That REALLY affects things negatively all the way around.

Afghi420

Afghi420

Afghi, you should be just fine using the Earth Juice, it's organic, is even OMRI listed if I recollect, and should absolutely not hurt your microlife. Without pix, it does sound as though they're a wee bit hungry. Also, could the pots have gotten a bit too hot? That REALLY affects things negatively all the way around.

From what i have read the earth juice has too high a ratio of humic and fulvic acids for the microlife.. Being hungry is my problem im sure.. i Should have been giving them a few tea's along the way.. And i didn't have time to cook some goodies into my soil, so i stayed mild with just compost/earthworm castings/sheep shit mostly, although i did give it almost a month to cook.. Im happy to have atleast a few plants that should yield ok, and ive got one real beauty with the biggest buds and crystal right out to the ends of the mid sized leaves, and they still have a couple weeks.. As far as them being auto's and the yield's sucking, that is not the case with some of today's auto's.. The Iranian auto's can yield between a quarter to a half pound.. And with the insane bushing these p;lants were showing at about 10 inches tall was quite impressive, with some training and trellising i can see easily getting half pound yields. I know you didn't make a comment on the yield's of auto's, but for those people who think all auto's are worthless.. The iranian auto can also be cloned and kept as a mother, not to mention it finishes in 45 days no matter when you put it out, so you can stick it out June.1 and have smoke by mid july or so.. From what i have read the potentcy is comparable to an og kush, so we'll see.. I will upload a few pics here soon..

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Humic and fulvic should be badass for the microlife. Inorganic salts are not inherently evil, if you do not apply them at a toxic level, then no harm should come to your microbial life anyway. Just pump some phospo in for a week then lay off.

Afghi420

Afghi420

Humic and fulvic should be badass for the microlife. Inorganic salts are not inherently evil, if you do not apply them at a toxic level, then no harm should come to your microbial life anyway. Just pump some phospo in for a week then lay off.

I think i may go to bottle feeding to try and pack a little weight and resin onto the 3 or so plants that aren't doing so good. The other few i have i will leave alone since they are doing great. I picked up some mushroom compost yesterday, i might top dress with some of that as well. I just talked to someone today that has an airstoe and some ingredients for a tea and he is going to make me up another tea for Sunday, this time not adding any nitrogen and just focusing mainly on P and K. I read the Rev's book and he get's confusing at times.. Sometime's he says to avoid fulvic, humic and abscorbic acids, then sometimes he uses them, but i have yet to hear him actually get into some real detail explaining what the ratio''s are in some of the popular nutes, or what is a safe level for organics and what is't.. He seem's to think that Earth Juice has too high a ratio of those acid's for some reason.. I should just get a real Organics grow book that get's into a little more detail then the Rev tend's to.. If that is the case and Earth Juice doesn't hurt my microlife then i really would have liked to have known that a month ago, could have given my plants a hell of a lot more...

Afghi420

Afghi420

These are outdoor's in the ground btw..

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Have you checked the PH of your soil? Your water?

Just a stab in the dark, but if things arent going like you want, Ph is always one of the first things I check to see if its out of whack.

defective

defective

I'm real curious to see the finished product and hear how it smokes...never seen any autos or known anyone who's grown them...could just be non-desirable phenos no?

Kebz

Kebz

Did a quick read up on the iranian auto and there seem to be a few people pulling good weight from it.

Its a bit confusing tho as far as I can understand, its an s1, not a cross, an early finishing strain with no ruderalis in it. Its not an auto. Which might explain being able to clone it and keep it as a mother, tho Dr Green thumb says that even under 24hours of light this strain will eventually flower. Its a regular plant just with a short season, (hence its other name Iranian short season).

Afghi420

Afghi420

Have you checked the PH of your soil? Your water?

Just a stab in the dark, but if things arent going like you want, Ph is always one of the first things I check to see if its out of whack.

I haven't played around with my Ph much since it's an outdoor organic grow.. Indoors i would pay more attention, but from all the discussions ive had with organic grower's they mostly didn't pay much attention to their ph and ppm of their water when using it outdoor's.. Ofcourse you don't want it too be to out of whack or im sure it will give you problems for sure.. From what i have read some ingredients in the ph adjuster's aren't good for your microlife so that is mainly why i stayed away from any [h up or down this time.. Wanted to avoid anything that harms microlife.. As far as my yields im quite sure it is just a big lack of feeding that is my problem, same with the resin production, big lack of P i think. My soil seems to be drained of most it's goodness, next time i do an outdoor organic grow i will know what to do different.

Afghi420

Afghi420

I'm real curious to see the finished product and hear how it smokes...never seen any autos or known anyone who's grown them...could just be non-desirable phenos no?

I have been eyeing thew Iranian's for quite awhile. As long as the potentcy is equal to what Greenthumb claims then i will be very impressed with this strain and will most definitely grow it next year. It's nice to have a plant go into flower pretty much as soon as you put it out and finish within 45 days or so. Could probably do 3 or so crops in the same patch outdoors in California. And yeah these are an actual Iranian landrace, which could be something special. They mention that the smoke has a strong body high, which is what im after for sure. I have tried a few strains that were great over the years, then had crosses of those strains that were always shit compared to the original.. Usually losing that special smell the strain might have had, or some potentcy or something. So getting a strain that hasn't been messed with and crossed 20 times over i think could be a good thing. Anyways i will definitely be posting some info on the smoke when it's finished, as there isn't a whole lot of info on this strainb out there yet. And if this strain doesn't have a true quality high i sure as hell will be posting that as well, since the description fgor this strain basically said it was one of the biggest developments in bud in decades, not to mention also saying once you grow it you will want to fill all of your growrooms with this strain.. So who knows.. I will say, as far as this plant goes so far i really love it for some reason.. It stays small and stealthy but can still provide a good yield, and in my area here in Easterm Canada plants really need to be finished by end of august or you start getting chilly mornings and with the dew on the plants it invites bud rot big time..

Kebz

Kebz

Quick finishing, heavy yielding, pure Iranian landrace......
"Hello :doctor: Green thumb? Its about a seed order......"
:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
From what i have read the earth juice has too high a ratio of humic and fulvic acids for the microlife.. Being hungry is my problem im sure.. i Should have been giving them a few tea's along the way.. And i didn't have time to cook some goodies into my soil, so i stayed mild with just compost/earthworm castings/sheep shit mostly, although i did give it almost a month to cook.. Im happy to have atleast a few plants that should yield ok, and ive got one real beauty with the biggest buds and crystal right out to the ends of the mid sized leaves, and they still have a couple weeks..
I haven't read that, and know *many* people who swear by the line. I honestly think you'll be fine, go ahead and give 'em a little push if they need it.
These are outdoor's in the ground btw..
Yes, I still say give them some EJ if that's what you have.

If you pee enough, you can try feeding them that directly, they'll appreciate it I'm sure, especially if they're really hungry. 10:1 ratio to start, water:pee.

Dunge

Dunge

Its a bit confusing tho as far as I can understand, its an s1, not a cross, an early finishing strain with no ruderalis in it. Its not an auto. Which might explain being able to clone it and keep it as a mother, tho Dr Green thumb says that even under 24hours of light this strain will eventually flower. Its a regular plant just with a short season, (hence its other name Iranian short season).
Can anybody confirm this "no ruderalis" assertion?
I have noticed that many auto seed breeders forget to list ruderalis in their descriptions.
I feel like it is the ruderalis that I smell, and it's not good.
I need confirmation on this, so am I the only one who is offended by the smell of autos?
An 'auto-like' variety, without rude, has me excited.

Afghi420

Afghi420

Well i top dressed 4 of my plants that are doing fine with mushroom compost today and will have a tea with good amoiunts of P and K tomorrow for them.. 2 of the plants that aren't doing very good i gave a shot of earth juice today and even top dressed with some high P guano.. 4 of the 6 plants aren't doing all that bad really, they are starting to put on some crystal and the yields shouldn't be too terrible, they do still have atleast 2 weeks to go probably so they have some more time to pack on weight. A couple of the plants are really loading up nicely with resins, man i really can't wait to smoke my first true organic bud, not to mention i have been dying to try this strain.. I tried to upload a good zoomed pic, the one with the real pink pistils, it didn't show the crystal good on here when i uploaded though, it doesn't look like there is any at all but there is, just doesn't show up much in the picture. I really can't wait until next summer, i hope i am in a better area and can really put some effort into my holes.. Anyways, the plants all average around 3-4 feet tall, which is actually a lot bigger then i thought they would get, considering Greenthumb told me to grow them to atleast 18 inches before i put them out and i only gave them 12-15 inches.. I was under the impression they went into bud so fast that they barely stretched at all but i got a decent stretch out of them..

Afghi420

Afghi420

Those are cute!

Good if stealth is what you want.. They blend in nicely with other foilage.,. I know most people shit on smaller plants, but not everybody can raise towering tree's in their back yards. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom