Outdoor screen house - 2020 planning

• Thread starter TerriR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TerriR

TerriR

I recently saw a video where a guy built a structure (wood) around his outdoor grow area and covered it in shade cloth. This year, he has zero caterpillars! I used an overhead shade cloth this year due to high temps here...so this idea would take care of reducing outdoor temps, too. This was not a greenhouse...more like a screen house. Just trying to think it through...anybody done anything like that before?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I recently saw a video where a guy built a structure (wood) around his outdoor grow area and covered it in shade cloth. This year, he has zero caterpillars! I used an overhead shade cloth this year due to high temps here...so this idea would take care of reducing outdoor temps, too. This was not a greenhouse...more like a screen house. Just trying to think it through...anybody done anything like that before?
picture me,the shade cloth is the same as netting to keep critters out,wont spiders but all moths which lay larvae on leaves and pillars come from it does,if you use the 50% during summer months you will be good,but spring you want more like a 35 % for more sun,i have 85%around my garden for privacy and you cant hardly see threw it unless you ARE right next to it,sounds like a plan a costly plan to wrap the whole thing all im saying,look into netting for sides and see if it is cheaper,great idea too if you make sure nothing can grab plastic and rip it on the roof,when rain comes in you can also drape it across top only to keep rain off your buds

TerriR

TerriR

yeah, I already have quite a bit of the shade/netting material...it just needs to be on a frame to attach the net to and keep the “inside” separated from the “outside”. Then I could stop using spinosad during flower...right now I would get nada if I didn’t spray. I also think the straw mulch this year brought in those $@%# thrips, so I will not be mulching anymore (not with straw anyway). thinking 10’ x 12’ should be plenty...

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

yeah, I already have quite a bit of the shade/netting material...it just needs to be on a frame to attach the net to and keep the “inside” separated from the “outside”. Then I could stop using spinosad during flower...right now I would get nada if I didn’t spray. I also think the straw mulch this year brought in those $@%# thrips, so I will not be mulching anymore (not with straw anyway). thinking 10’ x 12’ should be plenty...
i get my straw from tractor supply,they have a bail for just a few bucks,has some kind of coating on it and doesnt get wet for at least a month,so im asuming it has been sterilized

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

I was thinking about building a structure contraption as well! I was thinking about making a raised garden bed, but the 4 corners would be 4 posts going straight upwards so you were able to fasten a horizontal trellis and above that I could put a layer of plastic just to stop at least some dew/ rain from getting on buds.

I actually got the idea from @1diesel1 ’s grow diary since he’s got his horizontal trellis fastened on 4 vertical 2x2s or something of that size. Just that in a raised garden bed rather than around a pot!

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

I use grass clippings and never have had Any issues! Just let the grass dry after it’s cut and pile a thick layer under your plants. Keep adding to it as it degrades

TerriR

TerriR

Hey there thanks for posting this I’m really impressed this looks like a viable option
Agree! I would like to do something that can be taken down and put away all the rest of the year...maybe like pvc or something. that hemp borer is going to be hard to beat! it will be everywhere..betcha (and I am close to Colorado) 😳

FresnoFarmer

FresnoFarmer

Agree! I would like to do something that can be taken down and put away all the rest of the year...maybe like pvc or something. that hemp borer is going to be hard to beat! it will be everywhere..betcha (and I am close to Colorado) 😳
Shit has been crazy this year. I've seen all kinds of bugs I've never seen in my area before. Very strange year.

Top Bottom