Over fed or specific nutrient deficiency?

• Thread starter BayAreaIndica
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

3 weeks in flower and want to fix this small problem before it gets worse. Consistent 6.0-6.2 ph in coco coir in and runoff. But run off comes out to 4ec- 5ec (3500 ppm @ 700 scale) yes really high. Flushed once and will flush again but Is this problem simply over fed problem or specific nutrient lock out / deficiency?

Over fed or specific nutrient deficiency
Over fed or specific nutrient deficiency 2
Over fed or specific nutrient deficiency 3
Over fed or specific nutrient deficiency 4
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

When the runoff EC is significantly higher in coco, I think you are supposed to either lower inflow EC, or increase irrigation frequency, maybe both.

What is the inflow EC?

How many times per day do you irrigate and how much runoff?

BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

When the runoff EC is significantly higher in coco, I think you are supposed to either lower inflow EC, or increase irrigation frequency, maybe both.

What is the inflow EC?

How many times per day do you irrigate and how much runoff?
I’ve been giving 2.1ec then been lowering to 1.5ec then 1ec after that I flushed and will flush again till I get runoff Ec down. I water once every other day with about 10% runoff considering 20-30% runoff from now on.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Ok, was the coco buffered correctly and does your nutrients have enough Ca and Mg to compensate for the cation exchange of coco?

Depending on how big your pots are, I think coco is supposed to be irrigated at least once per day, maybe more.

Check out cocoforcannabis website, it's all about growing in coco coir.

BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

Ok, was the coco buffered correctly and does your nutrients have enough Ca and Mg to compensate for the cation exchange of coco?

Depending on how big your pots are, I think coco is supposed to be irrigated at least once per day, maybe more.

Check out cocoforcannabis website, it's all about growing in coco coir.
Nope I’ve never buffered coco before. About 4 months old plants transplanted 3 times both plants were in final 5gallon airpots for 2 weeks before flipping to flower perfectly fine until few days ago. Never buffered and always supplement decent Ca and Mg been giving low nitrogen during stretch. Watering coco while still very moist is a good idea? I water once every other day when pots are still slightly moist but plants aren’t droopy.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Nope I’ve never buffered coco before. About 4 months old plants transplanted 3 times both plants were in final 5gallon airpots for 2 weeks before flipping to flower perfectly fine until few days ago. Never buffered and always supplement decent Ca and Mg been giving low nitrogen during stretch. Watering coco while still very moist is a good idea? I water once every other day when pots are still slightly moist but plants aren’t droopy.
If you are using coco that is pre-buffered, you should be good, but if not, that might be the problem. Are you using Canna Coco? Canna is already rinsed and pre-buffered.

BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

If you are using coco that is pre-buffered, you should be good, but if not, that might be the problem. Are you using Canna Coco? Canna is already rinsed and pre-buffered.
But if I’ve already been using the coco for months watering after watering wouldn’t that be the same as buffering it? I’ve been using Mother Earth 70:30 and fox farm 70:30. No problem for 4 months I can’t buffer now too late. I’ve always had this problem mid to end flowering can’t figure out why lol

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

But if I’ve already been using the coco for months watering after watering wouldn’t that be the same as buffering it? I’ve been using Mother Earth 70:30 and fox farm 70:30. No problem for 4 months I can’t buffer now too late. I’ve always had this problem mid to end flowering can’t figure out why lol
I think the coco you are using are pre-buffered, so you should be good. It is probably the really high EC in the media, it probably builds up over time which is why you have this issue later in the grow.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix it right now, besides lowering the inflow EC and irrigating more, but you also don't want to over-water since you have big pots.

In the future I would use smaller pots and irrigate more frequently with a small amount of run-off each irrigation. I don't think the inflow EC would need to be above 1.5.

What is the run-off EC since you flushed?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
this is a classic problem i heard about coco when it gets dry you get ec spikes.

second thing everytime you water you also introduce dissolved oxygen with the water you use plus coco holds significant air even when wet. thats the whole point to coco afaik.

i use coco in my organic mixes though not doing salts with it so take it with a grain of salt.

BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

I think the coco you are using are pre-buffered, so you should be good. It is probably the really high EC in the media, it probably builds up over time which is why you have this issue later in the grow.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix it right now, besides lowering the inflow EC and irrigating more, but you also don't want to over-water since you have big pots.

In the future I would use smaller pots and irrigate more frequently with a small amount of run-off each irrigation. I don't think the inflow EC would need to be above 1.5.

What is the run-off EC since you flushed?
I always water with 10% run off maybe more runoff removes more build up I will try that next. This first flush plain phd water I got 30% runoff still at 3.5ec. This is my last grow for a few years don’t want to mess up my last one. I know different strains take nutrients differently only one plant is showing signs while the second one is fine, although both thriving. High EC is definitely a problem I was curious if also a lockout if so what nutrient

BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

this is a classic problem i heard about coco when it gets dry you get ec spikes.

second thing everytime you water you also introduce dissolved oxygen with the water you use plus coco holds significant air even when wet. thats the whole point to coco afaik.

i use coco in my organic mixes though not doing salts with it so take it with a grain of salt.
So what’s your recommendation water more often even if still really moist?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

There are 2 plants in that tent? Those are pretty big plants, probably should increase irrigation to once a day, see how they react. I thought you had 4-6 plants with 5 gallon buckets per plant.

It's difficult to over-water coco because of how much air it holds, even when fully saturated, like crimson said.

BayAreaIndica

BayAreaIndica

There are 2 plants in that tent? Those are pretty big plants, probably should increase irrigation to once a day, see how they react. I thought you had 4-6 plants with 5 gallon buckets per plant.

It's difficult to over-water coco because of how much air it holds, even when fully saturated, like crimson said.
Yes two plants. Coco coir also airpots so even harder to over water so you think this is a under watering issue in general?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Yes two plants. Coco coir also airpots so even harder to over water so you think this is a under watering issue in general?
Only because it's coco, I would increase irrigation to once a day, keep EC around 1, see what happens after a couple days then adjust as needed.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Thanks I never thought about watering more often I’ll give that a try 👍 just thought I’d have a problem watering again after still wet
Yea coco is a different beast, like DWC the roots are under water 24/7 and they don't have issues with over-watering.

Keep us updated and good luck!

Top Bottom