Over watering? information is interesting

• Thread starter REDBUD46
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
REDBUD46

REDBUD46

Something I've not looked into or come across the explanation, over watering? most people will agree, if you have bad drainage or whatever you can over water plants, now I have with an autopot water system 100L tank they have the bottom 2" under water all the time, and there are DWC growing things, how come these systems do not suffer from "over watering" ?

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/leavedeficiencies7.jpg

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Something I've not looked into or come across the explanation, over watering? most people will agree, if you have bad drainage or whatever you can over water plants, now I have with an autopot water system 100L tank they have the bottom 2" under water all the time, and there are DWC growing things, how come these systems do not suffer from "over watering" ?

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/leavedeficiencies7.jpg
Overwatering is not a real thing it does not exist. Overwatering is the "CAUSE" that leads to inadequate amounts of gas exchange and therfore low oxygen level in the soil which has huge implications on a plant. It cannot uptake water or carry out many processes without adequate levels. The soil becomes stagnant and the plant as well as the microbiology suffer greatly beneficial bacteria also require o2

This is why we can grow roots in hydro completely submerged so long at the water has good gas exchange which is why we aerate the reservoirs.

REDBUD46

REDBUD46

in short, oxygen level, not news as such...but aerate the reservoirs was the part i was missing (0hydroexp)... but then would i get any benefit from aerating my tank, using my automatic watering system in dirt?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

in short, oxygen level, not news as such...but aerate the reservoirs was the part i was missing (0hydroexp)... but then would i get any benefit from aerating my tank, using my automatic watering system in dirt?
The higher o2 level the water had going in the better. But thats temporary and this is where drainage comes in. With good drainage as the water goes through and drains it pulls oxygen rich air in through suction. The looser the soil the better the gas exchange and drainage. IMO this is why we see aeroponics grow the fastest, then hydroponics, then soiless like coco, then peat, then soil. Although peat and soil mixed with perlite will help increase the aeration/gas exchange of the soil/peat and in turn give faster growth rates.

I have no definitive proof other than just what makes sense to me and why but I feel very strongly the gas exchange and available o2 levels at the roots are directly tied to maximizing growth rates for the conditions they are in.

For eg. I think you will see a bigger increase in growth when increasing light with more o2 in the given media like hydro as opposed to high light in a compact soil. But this all has a balance and each has thier benefits such as more biodiversity etc.

Top Bottom