Overwatered? :(

• Thread starter Wzinn1987
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wzinn1987

Hey guys just looking for some feed back. First timer here . I got 2 clones from a friend about a foot y’all each already. In 1 gallon plastic cups. These were inside clones. And very very dry. He hadn’t watered in awhile but they still looked ok in the pots they were in. I got them and transplanted into 10 gallon fabric pots. 50/50 ocean forest/happy tree frog. No nutrients yet. I watered about a gallon a piece ph 6.5. Next day they were very droopy. Shocked from transplant I’m sure. But I freaked out thought they were under watered cause of how dry they were . So they each got another gallon. So 2 gallons within 2 days on 10 gallon fabric pots. My weather.. is hot this time of year I’m in SoCal. So high 90s to low 100s. I have a perfect patio with an awning covers the sun from just above provides a little shade. Keeping them there. Problem is there really droopy now and one is starting to wilt. I went and got a soil tester . DUH! it’s wet at the bottom and still moist throughout some spots are dry cause I turned them on there sides and loosen the rootball to try and provide oxygen. Any tips or tricks to save my babies ???

Overwatered
Overwatered 2
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Should be ok but I would be cautious of root temps. Some of the soil guys can probably give you better advice on how best to address it. With that hot sun beating on the black fabric it could be an issue. I would say fabric would be much better than plastic though.

BigCube

BigCube

Will they SURVIVE ??? Lol

They dont call it weed for nothing lol.

They will live. They can't take a lot of over watering, but once isn't going to kill them. If you do it too much, you can develop problems like root rott and moulds...

Best let it dry right out, if you can sink your finger down to the 2nd knuckle and feel moisture, dont water it.

A good trick is to keep another same sized pot with the same dirt in it aside and not water it. So you can lift it and feel the weight of a dry pot. That way you an tell how much water there is in it by the weight. After a few weeks you'll just know.

W

Wzinn1987

Should be ok but I would be cautious of root temps. Some of the soil guys can probably give you better advice on how best to address it. With that hot sun beating on the black fabric it could be an issue. I would say fabric would be much better than plastic though.
Yes I agree that’s something I was worried about when they do dry out I’m going to ice my
Water run nice kool water to them. I also ran a screen don’t know if u can tell but that should help a little bit. A lot of people sucefully grow out here so I was hopeing I could as well never done outside before .

W

Wzinn1987

They dont call it weed for nothing lol.

They will live. They can't take a lot of over watering, but once isn't going to kill them. If you do it too much, you can develop problems like root rott and moulds...

Best let it dry right out, if you can sink your finger down to the 2nd knuckle and feel moisture, dont water it.

A good trick is to keep another same sized pot with the same dirt in it aside and not water it. So you can lift it and feel the weight of a dry pot. That way you an tell how much water there is in it by the weight. After a few weeks you'll just know.
Awesome . Lol great ideas

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes I agree that’s something I was worried about when they do dry out I’m going to ice my
Water run nice kool water to them. I also ran a screen don’t know if u can tell but that should help a little bit. A lot of people sucefully grow out here so I was hopeing I could as well never done outside before .
I was thinking maybe a reflective material but again I would wait to see what others say. We have some very good growers here that grow in similar conditions. Hell I may even be way out to lunch and you may need nothing but I just have a feeling it may be an issue.

W

Wzinn1987

I was thinking maybe a reflective material but again I would wait to see what others say. We have some very good growers here that grow in similar conditions. Hell I may even be way out to lunch and you may need nothing but I just have a feeling it may be an issue.
Thanks aqua man

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Besides the shock of transplanting, they were transplanted into a hot soil and might be overwhelmed. Did the plants get acclimated to the sun? It looks like nutrient or sunburn. With fabric pots, I don't think too much water or not enough O2 to the roots is the problem, but I could be wrong as I only used them once. They seemed to drain pretty well and dried out quickly. FFarms stuff is pretty hot, and if it dries out, it concentrates the nutrients, making it even hotter. I wouldn't be afraid to water it but I don't know if it will help. If the plant survives, it should gradually adjust to the new soil and grow well, but I see/hear a lot of similar issues using the FFarms stuff... especially if you add nutrients to it, which seems to happen a lot.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

They will come back but probably lose a lot of big fan leaves. Plants, not just pot but flowers too, need to be hardened in some shade before they can handle direct sunlight unless they are started outdoors.
Even started outdoors too much sun and heat can do this
20190711 064219

She's in a 5 gal black plastic pot, in soil for the past 4+ months, compacted soil at this point, root bound and the pH is a touch over 7. 3 of my 4 adults were affected, including a female in the ground. The other 2 have fully recovered but this one just has to be special.

W

Wzinn1987

Even started outdoors too much sun and heat can do this
View attachment 880841
She's in a 5 gal black plastic pot, in soil for the past 4+ months, compacted soil at this point, root bound and the pH is a touch over 7. 3 of my 4 adults were affected, including a female in the ground. The other 2 have fully recovered but this one just has to be special.
Crazy your leafs a droopy but currently upwards and look light. Mine a droopy curling downwards and look heavy.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Crazy your leafs a droopy but currently upwards and look light. Mine a droopy curling downwards and look heavy.
Yeah, other problems besides heat with this one. I wanted to transplant her a few weeks ago but just didn't get to it. OG lineage so some claw toward the end is common.

Latest posts

Top Bottom