Overwatering in coco...?

• Thread starter hard_mind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
purpleberry

purpleberry

It really depends on how big your plant is. I ussaly only watered coco every 2-3 days, sometimne I would get big plants are only use 6.5l pots and i would have to water every day. Dont try and water how some one tells you, let the plant tell you when to water.

Solidopc

Solidopc

Topspin things are drip feeds aren't they? That would mean they aren't putting so much water through the pot each time they're on, so you might need to water everyday. I use a 3 litre watering can to water mine every time the pot feels light enough. Surely when you top watered your coco plants by hand, you didn't have to feed everyday unless you were feeding very small ammounts? Which makes no sense to me. It works the other way and is less work with no adverse affects to the plants. I've never seen such healthy plants as my coco ones, it baffles me a bit why it seems harder to keep soil plants as immaculate.

C

CharacterZero

you need to understand that there are a million different ways to accomplish the same goal using the same tools as everyone else in this cannabis plant growing thing.

what that means is.... (drum role, please....)
THERE IS NO SINGLE RIGHT WAY TO GROW CANNABIS
there are many ways to succeed and there are many ways to fail.

case in point, I recirculate my nutrients in an ebb n flow grow. i don't flush my plants until day 50. i prune off the bottom 30% of the plant growth, as well as remove fan leaves to expose bud sights to more light.

^^PEOPLE THINK I AM CRAZY FOR GROWING LIKE THAT^^
"you're not supposed to recirdulate coco nutes..."
"you're not supposed to ebb n flow in coco..."
"you'll need to flush once per week"
"never remove fan leaves thats a bad idea"

ha ha

cannabis is a weed. don't overthink it. if it dies then you really fucked up.

good luck

I did a lot of reading on coco last night and feel like i finally am starting to get it. sorry for the stupid question. I understand there is different ways of growing things (i have been growing mushroom for a while now) but some ways are better than other ways. there are lots of variables, but some people say treat coco like hydro and water everyday and some say to treat it like soil and dont water everyday.

that is a huge variable. got to draw the line somewhere. if using larger pots i can see not watering for a few days.

also perlite holds water better than most thing. I know when using it to grow mushroom, it holds water for the entire fruiting cycle. which is about a month usually. it doesn't hold much water, just enough to provide humidity. we just put the perlite in a strainer and run water through it to rinse it. and that is all we do to our perlite to add humidity to a fruiting chamber

so if you mix your coco with 30 percent perlite im sure you can water it less. it sort of holds water in its microscopic poors. it really doesn't hold much water though

at least i think that is why some people can water there plants less. maybe not

B

bubbak

Ideally, coco should not need a dry / wet cycle like a dirt grow. When it drys out your ppms and ph can get out of whack, it should be thought of more as low tech hydroponics. That said, I totally understand why people have to let their coco dry up a bit between waterings......

The problem is, there are so many inferior brands of coco on the market and - just varying properties that each brand has to be learned on its poristity.

Of course, the best stuff will have decent porisity and can be kept moist (not water logged) 100% of the time. But most brands I have bought will need some 'help'. With grotek blocks, I use 50% perlite, and hydroton at the bottom. It works great, plants grow fast but I have needed a constant drip.

Another big mistake people make is they dont squeeze the water from it and put it into the pot 'fluffy', and then they end up with a low oxygen water logged hell. ----then its actually easier to over water than promix!!

I keep hearing people say you dont need to rinse coco anymore but all the coco I have bought has had insane ppm run off and so I put it in a burlap sack and rinse the hell out of it. Its unreal what comes out. I have noticed a real difference in my plants ever since I have made these changes.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I hand water my coco every 3-5 days, depending on the growth stage. Never have had a plant wilt from under watering yet. -RB-

sour power

sour power

hey guys i never used coco but im thinking about it.the problem is the only coco i can get is biobizz,grotek,and botanicare.which one is best?also what nutes should i use?i cant get canna nutes so what alternatives do i have?im gonna start a thread right now

B

boxmunch9

it depends man, you really could feed coco like rockwool, as it holds nearly 3times the air fully wet, if your ebb n flow or top dripping then the water from your res should have a good amount of air in it only increasing whats in the medium. I water mine every three days, but i noticed bigger growth the more i water them

V

valiant

hi fellow farmers.i have used coco for years and love it.like greyskull said everyone is different,and i would say everybodys grow rooms are different as well, there for you have to look and see what works for you.

in my old grow room with 40 ltr pots i would water 3 x a day for 15 mins,once i built a new grow room half way thru my 2nd grow i noticed that they were sufferimg abit of root rot i was using 50 ltr pots and a bigger room,now i water twice a day for 15 mins ,but i have some plants in 30 ltr pots that i water once every 2 days.
again in my vege room different climate different light i water every 2 days but that can change depending on size of plants and pots it will go to every day.

M

mellofello

I've only done 1 grow in coco so far, 2 waterings during veg and 3 during flower. Some needed extra toping up too. That was in 6.5ltr pots. I think if I wanted to only water my plants every few days I'd add perlite to the mix but then I think it would be more like growing in soil as so I might as well just grow in soil and use proper organics. Watering 2 or 3 times a day keeps the coco constantly moist much more like hydro and allows me maximise uptake of nutes as they are constantly available at the same level. Atleast thats how it seems to me from reading and watching my plants.

at the end of the day I'm happy with my results, if you get results you're happy with then its all good

peace

mello

Top Bottom