Oxygen Rich Soil

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

How would on try to airate their soil during vegging?

Some ideas?

1. Shove a thin rod into soil over and over again.

2. Saturate water before feeding with air pump.

3. Run thin hose with holes into length of pot connected to air pump.

4. Drill holes into side of pot full through, run hose with holes, connect to either air pump or natural air flow.

5. ???

I'm about to put clones into soil and wondered how can I increase oxygen. I've read the few threads available on google since 2006 but nothing concrete.

Any advice?

P

PassTheJ

I'm looking more for a method of constant supply. My soil is rich and fluffy as is.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I know a grower who runs an air pump and tubing into his soil. He calls it AIS. Air injected soil.

But his plants were terrible. He had continuous problems.

I think the air just bubbles up through the easiest pathways and does nothing but mess up the cation exchange in the medium. It’s basically an electrical attraction of ions that uptake nutrients in a container medium.

I use and believe in the wet/dry cycle.

Or I guess drippers set properly will give the right air/water ratio all day long.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I know a grower who runs an air pump and tubing into his soil. He calls it AIS. Air injected soil.

But his plants were terrible. He had continuous problems.

I think the air just bubbles up through the easiest pathways and does nothing but mess up the cation exchange in the medium. It’s basically an electrical attraction of ions that uptake nutrients in a container medium.

I use and believe in the wet/dry cycle.

Or I guess drippers set properly will give the right air/water ratio all day long.
Totally counterproductive.... once the pot is dry to the touch and you pour liquid in the medium it forces new oxygen through to the bottom of the pot.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Perlite is excellent. .. its great for airing roots. I just dont need it hahaha. I have buddies that clone in straight perlite beer cups. And its the best thing a gardener can add for air... well any amorphous glass works

Really I hate working with the dusty crap. I didn’t need it in pro mix Hp but ocean forest is too dense.

But I use the freshest best stored soil near me and that is consistently ocean forest.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Really I hate working with the dusty crap. I didn’t need it in pro mix Hp but ocean forest is too dense.

But I use the freshest best stored soil near me and that is consistently ocean forest.
I use the oldest shit theyll sell me cheap hahahah

This is a problem with perlite..it breaks down...this is why we experiment with hulls and coirs

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

I gotta agree with the majority...
Pumping air though the soil is counter productive and problematic.sure there are a few who do it here and there but if it worked great err body would be doing it.im not a fan of wet dry cycles but it does work.plants do not uptake air as mammals do so the o2 sucked in by your watering is more than enough....
( unless you have a heavy clay soil mix )

This is a problem with perlite..it breaks down...this is why we experiment with hulls and coirs

Perilite is inert and does not readily “ break down”. It can be crushed to powder though.
The main problem folks have with perilite is with heavy watering it migrates (floats??) up to the surface of ones soil/medium possibly letting the soil/medium to get compacted

As far as all the dust, poke a few holes in the bottom of the bag and run water from the top through it.

Waaahla!!!
No more dust

I’m not a perilite fan but I understand ones gotta use what ya got.

Happy Farming!!”

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Gypsum (Calcium sulfate) will lighten your soil as well. The calcium is a larger size molecule and creates pockets of air in the soil as opposed to magnesium which is a small molecule and makes heavy and tight soil.

Top Bottom