Ozone Generator?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gamechanga12

Hi guys I am thinking about getting a ozone generator to put outside of my room to help control smell. I saw some on amazon for like a hundred bucks. how do these work exactly? I know it can not be in the same room as the plants but what if I got the door open for a little bit while the ozone thing is running will that be a prob? Also, is it bad to breath the stuff in?

AlaskanGrown

AlaskanGrown

You had better check manufacturers cautions. We have 2 here at the B&B (perfume,farting,what have you) and you shouldn't be breathing the air for any extended period of time . In and out fine, but not long, and definitely not while working. Ours were $350 ea and work like magic, worth every penny. I would be concerned with very cheap however.

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

Go with a Living Air Classic. They are a bit spendy, but they also can be used to purify your room and equipment after a buggy run or fungal infection.

I keep one by the front door of the house.

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

Don't keep in the room as Ozone will damage the plants. Ozone when present breaks down all matter to its simplest form, including your lungs if at too high of levels. that's why it has been used in hospitals etc to combat air born illness.

G

Gamechanga12

Don't keep in the room as Ozone will damage the plants. Ozone when present breaks down all matter to its simplest form, including your lungs if at too high of levels. that's why it has been used in hospitals etc to combat air born illness.

I plan to put it outside of my room

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

Keeping it near the room will work well. But keep in mind the odor from your room may out weigh the out put of the small ozone generator. I would instead look at a carbon filter/airrecycler arrangement. If costs are still an impediment get some candles and in or incense. Ona buckets work good too.

Good Luck

Last edited:
MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

These are good for the entry way door to your house if you have something really stank the scrubber cannot handle...

G

Gamechanga12

Keeping it near the room will work well. But keep in mind the odor from your room may out weigh the out put of the small ozone generator. I would instead look at a carbon filter/airrecycler arrangement. If costs are still an impediment get some candles and in or incense. Ona buckets work good too.

Good Luck

So, the only one you recommend is that 500 dollar one? How about this one -

http://www.odorfreemachines.com/villa-1000/

G

Gamechanga12

These are good for the entry way door to your house if you have something really stank the scrubber cannot handle...

Do I turn it off soon as I come in the house to work ? I have to keep the door to my room open when watering...

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Do I turn it off soon as I come in the house to work ? I have to keep the door to my room open when watering...
I assume you live in a house with a front door to the house right? And the UPS or mailman sometimes knock on your front door correct? That is the best place to put the ozone generator from amazon. Right by the front door. That way, when you open your front door, the UPS guy can't smell anything. Leave it running 24/7.

G

Gamechanga12

I assume you live in a house with a front door to the house right? And the UPS or mailman sometimes knock on your front door correct? That is the best place to put the ozone generator from amazon. Right by the front door. That way, when you open your front door, the UPS guy can't smell anything. Leave it running 24/7.

So, its ok for me to breath it in if its on 24/7?

dogznova

dogznova

Q: What about the odors in my home or grow space?
A:
Small or timed ozonators help repel spider mites, airborne pathogens, molds and mildews. Though ozone only has a half life of about 30 minutes (before it reverts back to oxygen) these ozonators must be on a timed system. When the smell of ozone becomes objectionable or you esperience a headache, it is typically at too high a level. Short bursts of ozone, rather than long continuous ones is superior when incorporated within your garden setting. For low odor levels, 1 to 3 minutes on and 10 minutes off will not produce dangerous levels of 03. As the odor increases, then longer on and off times of up to 3 to 5 minutes in every 10 minutes will clean the air in a 10 X 10 foot room without harming your plants.

Q: Should I be in the room when the ozonator is running?
A:
It is always best to err on the side of caution. If you find the odor of ozone objectionable you can with the aid of a timer turn off the ozonator 30 minutes before you enter the grow space. Ozone only lasts about 30 minutes before it reverts back to oxygen (O2). This should allow sufficient time for the ozone to dissipate.

Quote from the American National Standards Institute-ANSI Standards for Ozone.
Page 31 Appendix D.
"Although the decomposition (half life) precludes the possibility of large amounts of ozone being present, ozone, like all chemicals capable of oxidation, is a hazardous substance, and ozone-generating equipment can produce dangerous levels of the gas. The United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has standards for the exposure to ozone. Research indicates that there are no irreversible effects caused by accidental exposure to low non-lethal concentrations of ozone. As a general principle, however, breathing even low levels of ozone should be avoided at all times. Further information can be obtained from OSHA or the International Ozone Association, Pan American Group, 31 Strawberry Hill Avenue, Stamford, CT 06902".

Q: How can I tell when the ozone levels are too high?
A:
A very small percentage of people could be considered ozone sensitive. These people will find the smell of ozone, at any level, to be too much. The EPA and the FDA have stated that levels below .05 ppm, are safe for humans. Again, some people will find any level of ozone approaching this level to be overpowering. Fortunately, it takes long term exposure at levels approaching .1ppm to cause any harm. Even at dangerously high ozone levels, you could easily enter the room and turn off the ozonator without physical damage.

Hope this helps a little.

smokin jay

smokin jay

Have you thought about just running a carbon filter and fan out side the room? That may be all you need.

seaslug

seaslug

My next question would be. Have you ever smelled ozone from a ozone generator?
Damn, thanks for the sinus headache flashback, dogz.

Gamechanga, I bought a CAP wall unit and a cycle timer for emergency use but never used it. I bought Big Blue ozone ducts and decided not to install them in my attic. Ozone is wonderfully awful stuff! (Nitric acid can be produced.) So far, my carbon filters and lower odor strains have been enough.

Top Bottom