Paint my Bike

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I got a Honda Shadow motor bike to kick around on and cut the gas consumption, ect. Not the Harley Duece I want but it will do for now. Anyway It`s a terible colour and has a few small dents in the tank so looking to have it painted. Was wondering if anyone can recomend a place to me around Chico-Marysville area in Northern Cali. Thinking metal flake silver and an acrilic light smoke over it. I`ll keep it and use it awhile and try to trade up or sell it later.Thanks

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
The shadow is a true classic. I've spent a few hours on one of those myself. Hoping you will post a picture when it's done! Oh yeah, I like the color choice too.

fred

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I happen to own a Shadow, too. Black & red, I call her Rosario. If you're not a mechanic and want to actually spend your time riding, you get a Honda. If you want the show but none of the ride, you get a Harley.

New paint job like that is gonna set you back a couple thousand. Local guy to us is often used by Honda for doing show bikes, and one of the bikes he has is the same model Shadow as mine. I do dig the metrics, but mostly the absolute reliability of our Hondas (we've got several bikes in the garage and shed).

http://www.aftcustoms.com/

http://www.aftcustoms.com/metric_customizing.html

http://www.aftcustoms.com/gallery/pages/DSC6522.htm

DSC6528.jpg

DSC6529.jpg

^^^ You've GOT to check out the suicide shifter he put on that thing. Tried to sell it to me but I would require some major reworking of the bars, need pullback and rise to ride comfortably. Still, though, this thing in person is just gorgeous. Jim can seriously do paint, and the depth of this paint job... (that's why I had to come back and edit, to add these pix and talk about that paint).

This is my scoot. Gotta give two shots, so you can see those new pipes we put on after my accident. MAN oh man do those Cobras make her run SUWHEET. Better mileage, better sound, and fuck if that little pony doesn't have her some giddy-up and go. Recently learned that a cousin in Puerto Rico also owns a Shadow, but I don't know what year/model. Rosario is a 2004 Shadow Aero VT750. I would like to move up to an 1100, so that I retain the great handling of the Shadow, but get a little more power for freeway riding.

Oh yeah, I did the seat myself. We are the only ones who work on our bikes, kinda anal about that.

CRW 3562 1200px
CRW 3555 color
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Nice bike and thanks for the info also Seamaiden. Mine is a `96` 600cc deluxe. It has just 23,000 miles on it. Runs great but it`s Purple and white and I hate the colours.I just need the tank, finders, and side covers painted. I can live with the frame being black.It`s all stock but in very good condition with some funky plain black saddle bags. It does have two small dents in the gas tank that will need pounding out. I looked online and it weighs 450 lbs and gets 50mpg with a top speed of 100mph. I`m only planning on putting around on it and saving some gas when I can, my 3/4 ton 4x4 only gets 8-9 mpg. I`ll be looking at trading up at some point. Only other import bike I ever had was a kz900 back in the late 70`s and a Honda 90 trail bike when I was a kid.

I`ve had a sportster,a 47 panhead,a fatboy,and a HD solftail.I also had a triump 500 that was a basket case and never found the parts to put it together and an Indian that was around all of two days before someone offered me a load for it I couldn`t turn down. I haven`t been on a bike for along time now. My doctor told me I shouldn`t ride because of my disability but he also gave me only months to live and it`s been 8 yrs now and he`s the one who died ,not me. Now that I`ve been off the Morphine a few years I think I can ballance better.It wouldn`t have happended with an IV anyway. Dam anyone who dares to say MJ isn`t medication!

DeRail

DeRail

fill the tank with water and freeze it to pop out the dents i have seen this done a few times than smooth it out with bondo. there are some good cheap painters that will do your tins on eBay believin or not and it is a lot cheaper than a local cali painters and the have access to paints we cant get here I built my Softail myself and i have a extra set of tins i can send off when ever i feel i need a change

L

Lost

Mark, I would save the $$ and invest in the bike you truly want. You wil get little if any extra value out of your investment when you goto sell.

Cort

Cort

I happen to own a Shadow, too. Black & red, I call her Rosario. If you're not a mechanic and want to actually spend your time riding, you get a Honda. If you want the show but none of the ride, you get a Harley.
HEYYY.. I resemble that remark.

06 HD Streetbob with 40k and 3 inner primary barrings + assorted trans parts when IPB went too far.

Short of that, and some tire changes she dont see the inside of any shop but mine. Kept motor stock but a Power Commander, Ness big sucker and pipes. Still do 40-45 mpg around town 50-55 loaded on the open road.

I still have no idea why people can charge so much just to paint the skins. You can get 2 cars painted for the same price.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
I still have no idea why people can charge so much just to paint the skins. You can get 2 cars painted for the same price.

The need for partial disassembly and reassembling of the bike would be my guess.
FJ

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I knew I'd ruffle some feathers pointing out the facts. I ride while they're on the side (of the road), happens every year up here.

Mr. Castle, you don't like the purple and white? Bummer! My husband wants to paint his VTX purple and a color that I, as a woman, can only call "lavender." You know, if the bike's on the rough side in terms of condition, you could go rat bike with it. Hubby's got a few CX500s and one of them I think would make an uber-cool rat bike.

Those 600s are nice bikes, I personally don't care how old it is, Hondas hold up. But for fun, I would love love love to try a Magna.

I didn't get my endorsement until just a few years ago, AFTER my back injury. You can do it, I'm sure. Especially if it's a dead guy tellin' you you can't.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Well Thanks for so much advise so far. I Kelly Blue Booked the value at $1906.00 much less than I thought.I was thinking around $3000.00. I traded two pounds of trimmed pop corn buds I was going to make hash from.I would have got maybe 3+ oz of Hash from it. I have about 35 more lbs of popcorn and frosty fine trim anyway just been to lazy to work it all. It did cost me about $150 to change the title and for late registeration. That`s all I really have into this bike. I`m thinking I could pull the tank, finders and tins off have it painted and replace them myself.Wouldn`t be that much work if you ask me. So may just check out the price of paint and spray gun and do it all my self if I don`t find a local paint shop that does good work and doesn`t charge an Arm + a leg. I could do an arm or a leg but both is out of the question!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh... yeah, I paid about $4K for my '04 Aero and it had well under 3K miles on it. Registration for motorcycles in California has become fucking ridiculous. I paid mine late, it was over $120. Had I paid on time, it would have been barely under a C-note.

It's not much work at all to pull the tins. If that '96 is anything like my '04, the hardest part is going to be after you pull the seat, as you've got to unbolt things in a certain order. Bike looks really cool without a rear fender, always makes me think I might like a bobber look to her.

I don't know if your fenders are like mine, if so, they're ABS plastic.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
OK it may be some time before I do much of anything with the bike. Today I`m going to take my truck in to try and smog it.Then off To look at some property for barter.10 acres of remote virgin forest land with year round creek. Had a road/fire break into it 15 yrs ago but it`s over grown now.Part of the deal will be to rework the road and put a pad in for my trailor and a locking gate at the property line..I`ll need a small generator,electric or gas pump and water tank as well as a pvc loop style greenhouse right off. I`ll start with an old Alaska septic for now. I have to get moved and work on clones for the greenhouse. I also have use of a large truck trailor all set up for growing that only needs a power source.I`m thinking I should get a solar power RV kit as well. I can charge my laptop and cell phone from that and run everything in the trailor off the batteries and an inverter.If I need I could also charge the trailor batteries with the generator or hook the trailor to the truck and idle it to keep charged.It is going to be a lot of work but I can also make some money off thinning the timber out where I need more sun light.I have a local friend in that biz. The plan is to get a crop in ASAP and work a seed run in the truck trailor for now and see what I can get done by next Winter.Not sure I`ll stay through the first winter but I could come back next spring and put a more perminent set up in then. Good thing is no nabours for 12 miles and only a little less than a mile off the paved road to the property line.There is a store/gas station/post office and hamberger shop about 4 miles back and a small community. I know a few people(all growers) in the area. I also have a few other projects in the works so the bike will have to wait for later as it really only needs paint.

P

paperplane

Dude just spray it flat black and paint some of the other pieces that wrinkle black by krylon.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Wow the road was out but we found a back way in to the property(sort of) through a trail along a high power line in an ATV.We got only a short way on a side road(if you can call it that) and besides brush and small trees growing on the road there were numerous larger trees down across the road.From there we got another 100 ft. in with chain saws and walked through the brush a ways farther before I gave up looking at the property. We went back to my friend who is brokering the deal on the property and he then said he could fix the road in two days for one lbs.The property owner then said wanted 40 lbs or 25 lbs up front and 25 next Fall,double what he said he wanted before. I think he is trying to get what he can and am thinking of a counter offer.I need to keep as much as I can because I`ll need some cash for water pumps,generator, and grow supplies,ect. Not sure how much to counter offer him.Thinking 20 now and 20 later.I like the area but it will need a lot of clearing, the road will need some gravel and drainage work and clearing of downed trees off and on to keep it open and a locked gate at the property.I never got any closer than 200 ft. to the property but could see parts of a small stream that could dry up in summer and some open southword gental slopes.If there was a good road in I could truck water in if needed until I could put a well in, but it would run up the cost of growing this next crop.I`d need a water insert or bladder and pump for my 4x4 truck that could pump it from a better near by stream and just truck it in from there.Have to think a while on this.I wasn`t quite prepared for this remote of an area,but fixed up right it would be a sweet place to live and grow.

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

Any luck??

Hey MC...Any luck/progress with the paint job? Looking to get a new tank for my bike, and i'm in the same area. Gonna keep the factory color, but some gold leaf and pin striping. I got an 01 harley sportster. It had 2100 miles on it when i got it. Got a lil over 6k now... Hasn't skipped a beat, just took it on a 1600 mile trip to laughlin with no probs.I get about 60-65 mpg with the screaming eagle intake/exhaust. And I deff baby her :) Hit me up if u wanna ride one day!!`Best of luck w/ the bike!! Here's some picks of my ride.

Harley 002 1280x960
Harley 003 1280x960
Top Bottom