Pale leaves curling up on seedling

• Thread starter stubthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stubthumb

Hi everyone, pretty new to growing and I'm starting with a rather basic indoor setup.

HTC-Victory sativa from Dutch Passion, germinated 6 days ago in a 1.5 liters (quarter gallon) clay pot. Random organic mix from hardware store, meant for herbs fwiw.
It's under a 36w Sansi led bulb, 18/6 light cycle. There's some weak natural light from a window nearby and when it's clear it gets roughly one hour of low sunset sun.
Last time I watered with a low concentration (0,2%) of Palgron Terra Grow (NPK 3-1-3).

Growth is not very fast, I guess, and the first leaves seem rather pale and are now starting to curl up a bit.

After reading a bit around in the last days I focused on light intensity and water amount, but I am struggling to understand wich direction to take.
I did let the soil dry somewhat between watering but last time I was worried maybe it was too dry and gave a bit more water (around 250ml, or one cup, I guess). It's still a bit damp after almost 3 days, so I guess it doesn't evaporate much by itself as I thought. The leaves were pale before the last watering already, but curling started after, I guess (hard to say as they were much smaller).
Regarding the light, the manufacturer gives a general reccomendation of 30 to 50 cm (12 to 20 inches) distance from plants, but that's a huge difference in PPFD. I changed height back and forth several times in this range, so it's hard to see differences. For the last couple of days the light was at 35cm (14 inches) from the leaves, and that should translate to 200 µmol/s/m2 according to the diagram below (but frankly I don't know if they are average or peak values). Now the light is a bit further up to be on the safe side (corresponding to 150 on the diagram).

I would really appreciate any tips on what to check, what to do etc!
I know I made some bad choices (random mix, random watering amount), but I guess the plant is young enough to get healthier if treated a bit better : )

Sorry, I posted early by mistake and edited a couple of times afterwards.

Pale leaves curling up on seedling
Pale leaves curling up on seedling 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom