• Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Palisade voters reject ban on medical marijuana dispensary sales

Voters OK marijuana fee

Patients who will be able to continue to receive medical marijuana from Colorado Alternative Health Care in Palisade will have to dig deeper to pay for their medicine.

Town residents Tuesday night approved a $5 transaction fee that will be added to each sale made at a medical marijuana center in town. Referred Measure 2A passed 480 to 398, or 54 percent to 44 percent.

Town officials have estimated the fee will generate $80,000 a year in revenue.

The lone medical marijuana center in Mesa County will keep its doors open after Palisade residents Tuesday night soundly rejected a measure that would have banned commercial medical marijuana sales within the town.

Final, unofficial results showed voters turning away Referred Measure 2B 61 percent to 39 percent, with 545 votes to allow Colorado Alternative Health Care to remain operational compared with 347 votes to shut it down.

The decision marks a rare victory in Colorado for backers of commercial dispensaries, which were outlawed in unincorporated areas of Mesa County a year ago, in Grand Junction in April and in more than 75 other communities across the state.

ā€œIsnā€™t it amazing?ā€ asked a happy Jesse Loughman, co-owner of Colorado Alternative Health Care, at about 8 p.m., as votes were still being tallied. Attempts to reach Loughman for comment later in the evening were unsuccessful.

Diane Cox, an East Orchard Mesa resident who led a petition drive earlier this summer to force town leaders to prohibit dispensaries outright or let voters decide the issue, said she was disappointed by the outcome but glad that citizens had the opportunity to voice their opinions.

ā€œI think it was a really good thing there was an election, so people could decide this issue for themselves,ā€ she said. ā€œItā€™s important when thereā€™s something thatā€™s controversial that voters have a say.ā€

Supporters of dispensaries noted Colorado Alternative Health Care operates in a professional manner and brings in vital tax revenue to the town. They claimed banning the business would send marijuana back onto the street, where it canā€™t be regulated, and reduce access to it for patients who may not be able to grow the plants themselves.

Opponents argued medical marijuana centers have boosted the availability of the drug in the community and contributed to a rise in drug-related expulsions within School District 51. They also said they feared such a business would portray the town in a negative light.

Both sides spent weeks pounding the pavement in Palisade, mailing or passing out fliers, going door-to-door visiting with residents and waving signs on U.S. Highway 6. The Loughmans said they canvassed neighborhoods to make sure residents were registered to vote and help them register if they werenā€™t.

The campaigns were marred in the last few weeks with both sides filing police reports about stolen or damaged signs.

Safe and Healthy Mesa County, a citizens group formed by Cox to oppose medical marijuana shops across Mesa County, mustered enough signatures on a petition to create a ballot measure that sought to outlaw dispensaries, marijuana cultivation operations and the manufacturing of marijuana-infused products.

The group raised more $2,500 in contributions between April and October, according to campaign finance reports filed with the town. Cox was the top individual contributor, donating $900 in cash. Virtually all of the other contributions came from three other people who also live outside of town ā€” Dorothy Hahn and Mary Praete, both of Grand Junction, and Zelda Popovich of Clifton, according to reports.

But unlike in Mesa County and Grand Junction, Colorado Alternative Health Care had the backing of a majority of town leaders. Many said it appeared to be a model business that was causing no problems for police.

The Loughmans also endeared themselves to many in the community by partnering with their patients to tackle a number of community-service projects and opening up their business to anyone who wanted to learn more about it.

2DogWalker

Wow that story will put a smile on your face. Still some rationale pockets of Americans! Congrats to mesa county, colorado, next keep all the greed mongers the F*** Out!! Good luck to all on the good team in this one.

2DW

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Fort Collins despensaries lost the vote and the ban is on the way up there from what I heard

These guys may end up hoping they had been shut down after they get run thru the FED wringer

Tex

W

waywardson

Not everyone needs "fire". I think they did a great job working with Pali and running a pretty respectable business. I have not been in to see their meds but they are hardly what I would call greedy. Avg customer age is like 49...they do supply meds to those who need it in the valley and who is to say those patients would find better meds through caregivers or on the black market.

But yea...TK may be absolutely right. Something with a little profile to it...how far can the feds be from terrorizing another fine example of a dispensary.

anyways nice to see some voters in the valley that aren't influenced by whacked out religious nuts.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
^^^ Here we go....lol

Im with you CC

Dorje

Dorje

At this point.... we'd all be better off without dispensaries.

I hope that changes in the future as the idea of being able to walk into a store and choose from a large selection of weed without fear of arrest is a good one. Just hasn't worked out in practice yet.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Get this. The woman who got this on the ballot, Dianne Cox, has an origanization Safe and Healthy Mesa County. She also owns or is involved with a winery. If she really wants a safe and healthy Mesa county then why in the world would she be involved with alcohol which is a way more toxic, causes health problems, deaths, child abuse, we all know which is more dangerous.
She has 2 sons, One son is a former dispensary owner, the other a caregiver.
Amazing...

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Prime example of personal agenda

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

The hypocrisy from the alcohol contingency I can understand but if you have winery land to put up a greenhouse, why isn't she pushing to grow? The opportunity to profit off of sick people is usually irresistible to these types. Off topic, it's one of the coolest towns in CO. I will be there for the bluegrass festival in June.

altimood

altimood

Get this. The woman who got this on the ballot, Dianne Cox, has an origanization Safe and Healthy Mesa County. She also owns or is involved with a winery. If she really wants a safe and healthy Mesa county then why in the world would she be involved with alcohol which is a way more toxic, causes health problems, deaths, child abuse, we all know which is more dangerous.
She has 2 sons, One son is a former dispensary owner, the other a caregiver.
Amazing...

Jesus drinks wine chickenman. wink, wink
Hey chickenman, did you see that Texas judge in charge of child abuse cases whippin the bo jangles out of his daughter, who had some kind of disability? There's some sick shit for you. Scary sick world bro. Ever get up to Palisade much? Isn't that where the Goat comes from?

altimood

altimood

Its just funny you guys are talking about alcohol in Palisade. My good friend makes vodka there. He is pro herb, however.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Its just funny you guys are talking about alcohol in Palisade. My good friend makes vodka there. He is pro herb, however.

Does he make tequila, too? There's a really good distillery over there that produces those two, been wanting to find it again.

Edit: 'Colorado Gold's Own', Cedaredge, CO. Same peeps?

altimood

altimood

Does he make tequila, too? There's a really good distillery over there that produces those two, been wwanting to find it again.

Yeah, my friend Scotty works for Goat vodka. I called him to see how he's doing after this thread reminded me of him. He's all laid up with a broken hip it turns out. Biking accident on Florida Road in Durango. Poor guy. This Bud's for you Scotty!:animbong: Not sure about the tequila but those guys are distilling animals so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yeah, my friend Scotty works for Goat vodka. I called him to see how he's doing after this thread reminded me of him. He's all laid up with a broken hip it turns out. Biking accident on Florida Road in Durango. Poor guy. This Bud's for you Scotty!:animbong: Not sure about the tequila but those guys are distilling animals so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

So, not the same bunch. Blue agave is a plant, not a critter, lol. No worm anywhere in sight...

Sorry 'bout your bud's injury, hope he's feeling better soon!

altimood

altimood

So, not the same bunch. Blue agave is a plant, not a critter, lol. No worm anywhere in sight...

Sorry 'bout your bud's injury, hope he's feeling better soon!

He's with Peach Street Distillers. He's probably numbing the hip with some quality spirits.

W

waywardson

Whatever you think about her Diana Cox did an excellent job of demonizing weed for the Grand Junction vote. That speaks to the business sense of the dispensary in Pali...they stomped that evil bitches ass in the vote there. She may have failed in her own eyes as a mother but she is a tough foe in this fight.

I stand by what I said...really good business. I cannot speak to the quality of the medicine. We went in one time back in the day and they wanted to 1099 us...last time we had any dealings with them :pimp:

Peach Street vodka...well I can say from experience, pretty good stuff. The wines from the area...ok, but not really what you would call great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom