Paper seedling starters

• Thread starter dustbone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dustbone

dustbone

We're using paper seedling starters. Take a look at the video - back/top left - is that normal? The plant droops / curls down a lot during water then recovers.

What is the best way to water these? Currently placing them in a plate of water for an hour.

How long should they stay in these cups? Picture attached for scale.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest + Fox Farm Happy Frog + Perlite + Worm Castings. pH 6.5. No bugs. 77F, 40% RH.

IMG 20200223 103802
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have never used them, but I would think that watering them from the top might be better, at least for the 1st week or two before you transplant them. As soon as you have your 2nd set of leaves, I would take them out of the cups as you will have a hard time keeping them hydrated in those cups... they tend to dry out very quickly. Don't forget that the seedling's roots are very small and shallow, probably not reaching the bottom of your starter cup for a week or so... the water you set them in can't be reached by the roots as it doesn't rise up much into the cup.

Ina

Ina

The roots suppose to grow thru them so you just plant in bigger pots along with the starters.I also used these once or twice,found that their bottom stays really wet sometimes(and even moldy) and sometimes they dry out too quickly ,depends on the conditions....:)I stopped using the smallest but i can say if it is very dry keep them closer to each other or in box to keep the moisture longer.To be honest they weren't very comfortable....... Also Too small.Now i have bigger(about 1 liter may be) similar made pots,i find more sense if they are lot bigger so i can plant them outdoors without taking back my plastic pots with me when i come back.........

dustbone

dustbone

The roots suppose to grow thru them so you just plant in bigger

Wednesday will make 2 weeks since planting the germinated seeds - so its about time to move them into larger pots? Will the roots actually grow through those paper containers?

Ina

Ina

They usually do.But it could make it harder to grow thru this pressed paper,i am still not sure about that....On the third pic they are already transplanted in little bit bigger pots(and started to grow better by my opinion)as you can notice.When you see roots you have to plant them because the roots are drying fast......I dont remeber how long does it take but two weeks seem too long.Anyway,once you plant them in something else i guess they will be fine:)

Top Bottom