Paralyzed By Options..

• Thread starter Dallas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dallas

Choice is a great thing. There are so many strains and crosses one could really be overwhelmed with the options. The problem is that I am a newbie. It has taken me a lot of research and decisions to get to the point where I know how I want to grow and what equipment I will need. I could have ended up with a blurple led mars and a jardin grow tent with bubble buckets. There will come a time when I know a lot more about these strains and instead of seeing hundreds I will only see dozens. When I go into a Nike shoe store I don't see a wall of shoes, I only see a couple. Because I know what I like. I think I made myself sick thinking about what couple strains to grow first. My head hurts, thankfully I have something to fix that. Do most of you buy one pack of a strain or multiples and how many? I'm thinking multiple packs for a bigger selection.

MW7945

MW7945

Well... that would depend. What is your plan for growing. Size of room/tent? Lighting? Soil or Soiless? Hand water or automated? How many plants do you plan on doing?

IMO, for a smaller setup, just stick to one strain for now.

D

Dallas

@MW7945 Going with a 5x5 Veg Gorilla Tent and a 5X5 Gorilla Flower tent. HO T5 in the Veg and 2x400w hps in the Flower. Will look into Gavita 650 for flower when I go to the hydro store. Hand watering Canna nutes in Coco. So I've done my homework. I will go one strain at a time and run it twice. But I do want to have a few strains in my hands.

MW7945

MW7945

@MW7945 Going with a 5x5 Veg Gorilla Tent and a 5X5 Gorilla Flower tent. HO T5 in the Veg and 2x400w hps in the Flower. Will look into Gavita 650 for flower when I go to the hydro store. Hand watering Canna nutes in Coco. So I've done my homework. I will go one strain at a time and run it twice. But I do want to have a few strains in my hands.

How big of a pot you gonna use? I can tell you from experience hand watering coco multiple times a day gets old fast. But if you have the patience it's fine

Organikz

Organikz

When you are growing polyhybrids sometimes different pheno are equal to different strains...for instance I'm growing [Thai stick x afghan] x velvet rush]

I have phenos that are pure Thai in all aspects...there are some 50/50 leaners and then I have some that are showing all Afghan traits.

You could easily bypass your favorite strain because u didn't end up with the right bean to 3xpress it!

D

Dallas

@MW7945 I wasn't aware that I would need to water multiple times a day. Was looking at running six to twelve pots 5-10 gallon. Please fill me in....Would love to avoid common mistakes. I was also going to run it through with the hydro store guy on the details.

MW7945

MW7945

@MW7945 I wasn't aware that I would need to water multiple times a day. Was looking at running six to twelve pots 5-10 gallon. Please fill me in....Would love to avoid common mistakes. I was also going to run it through with the hydro store guy on the details.

5-10 gallon is way too big for coco. Especially if you're running 6-12 plants. IMO, 3 gallon is the biggest you'd want to go. Coco doesn't need a lot of room, but it needs to remain wet. During veg you'll probably be able to get by with one water, but further into flower you're looking at 2-3 times realistically. You can get by with one but you may run into salt buildup issues. Always water to runoff with coco.

You might get by watering once a day, but it's not ideal. This is why automated is preferred. I'm hand watering right now and it's not that bad but I'll definitely be adding automation next

D

Dallas

I mean it really is fascinating learning about these strains. I really never thought about the seed part until last. I can tell from the names of the seeds that I most likely have been smoking clones for the past 30 years. So I can only get seeds like OG, Purple Kush, Cookies, Bubba and it's crosses because those are the things I like to smoke. I don't know any growers so clones are out of the question. Going to build my stable from seed stock. I did buy a few packs of OGxUrkle crosses from CSI. But I want one or two more strains in my hands.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If you Grow in a peat lite mix like pro mix Hp you will only likely have to water every 2-3 days in 5 -10 gallon pots.

xavier7995

xavier7995

You may want to narrow your list down to just really reputable breeders and their offerings. Many of the recent crosses that will kick out a keeper pheno are very hit or miss, you may find a gem, but you will have to look through lots of junk. Slamming one hot name into another can result in a great plant...but it is more likely to not. If I were getting going i would be looking for stability and uniformity from the seed stock.

Or you can just pick up some dope clones.

D

Dallas

I like the idea of knowing the breeder's reputation and that's why I went with N'Specta (CSI) for the first round. His reputation for fem seeds is unrivaled from my research. Shout out to N'Specta. Respect the shit outta you homie. Even if I go with CSI again it's hard to choose one or two. I will get doubles of each for sure. I know of Fletcher (theDocta) from watching Hash church and he sounds legit and cool as hell. From watching the Adam Dunn show I see JJ-NYC get hella respect and he is from Hell's Kitchen. It really is fun to hear and read these stories. I told my brother last night that I could easily spend 5 to 10 grand on genetics. CRAZY
You may want to narrow your list down to just really reputable breeders and their offerings. Many of the recent crosses that will kick out a keeper pheno are very hit or miss, you may find a gem, but you will have to look through lots of junk. Slamming one hot name into another can result in a great plant...but it is more likely to not. If I were getting going i would be looking for stability and uniformity from the seed stock.

Or you can just pick up some dope clones.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

And if new at this I suggest growing from the same breeder a while and try to mimic the conditions he or shuses
I would like to feed more frequently and I'm concerned about pests with soil.

I have never had pests past some springtails and a couple of gnats. Pests come from overwatering. Bad air flow and overfeeding. Sick plants bring pests.

And growers bring them in. I always wash and change to “inside” clothes before entering my rooms.

And no outside clones or growers allowed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom