Passive Heat Sink For Cree Cxb3590 Under $10/each

• Thread starter AvidLerner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HughJassBud

HughJassBud

A member at another location found this passive heat sink that will utilize passive cooling from 50w-80w without any fans cost less than $10/each . ->https://www.cdiweb.com/ProductDetail/MODULEDXTRA9980B-mechatronix/574061/#.VvEZvzHz8gv
These are an interesting design for this application. I wonder what the best way to mount these is and if having them mounted flat against something like sheet metal would hamper their effectiveness.

On the flip side, mounting them in some sort of enclosure with a single fan or negative pressure would create air movement across those fins, making them drastically more effective.

B

bobby g

those work but i wouldnt run them passive with a chip the size of a 3590 as they are cut away behind the chip and will result in hotspots.

better for smaller chips like 3070, vero18, citi clu048, etc

B

bobby g

On the flip side, mounting them in some sort of enclosure with a single fan or negative pressure would create air movement across those fins, making them drastically more effective.

iceled is 9950 with a honkin 12V fan, ive run citi3618 out to 320W with them. and yes thats a big chip with some voids behind it but less of an issue with the fan crankin on the exposed parts of the back of the chip

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

I have been using these for awhile and they never get hot at 50w, cold at 36w and 25w. peace

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

These are an interesting design for this application. I wonder what the best way to mount these is and if having them mounted flat against something like sheet metal would hamper their effectiveness.

I hang them with a loop. I drill and tap a hole at the other end and hang them with wire wherever I want to hang them, no frame, just a hook. works great and flexible. thought about putting them in a frame, but why? peace

M

Morvis

Awesome I was just looking around to see if this sink will be suitable for a 048-1212 at 1050mA. Looks like I shouldn't have any worries, eh.

Top Bottom