patient records: if Apothecary of Colorado had your info, you better worry

• Thread starter pollenchucker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pollenchucker

pollenchucker

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=172201&catid=339
DENVER - It was the last thing Harold Morton expected to find while taking some recyclables out to the alley behind his home. When he walked past a Dumpster, he saw it in a cardboard box: a thick blue binder.

"I picked the book up and I opened it and right away. I noticed the top of each page; medical marijuana registry forms. The next thing I noticed is there is all these people's personal information on each one of those sheets," Morton said.

The forms were inside plastic sleeves and contained social security numbers and dates of birth, along with patient names, addresses and telephone numbers. The binder contained the personal and medical information of dozens of patients.

The forms were on letterhead identified as Apothecary of Colorado, a dispensary in Denver.

Adam Stapen, an attorney for Apothecary of Colorado, says their patient records are "kept under lock and key to protect privacy of patients."

He says the current owners purchased the dispensary on July 1 and it is possible the patient records are from before that.

While the Colorado Department of Revenue is charged with overseeing medical marijuana dispensaries, they have no statutory authority regarding the handling of patient records. The state legislature would need to pass a statute creating such authority.

"This is really upsetting that patient personal information, their medical records, could be so carelessly discarded and left for others to find. Not only does it raise the specter of identity theft, but is also compromises people's personal medical information," Pat Steadman, a Colorado state senator representing Denver, said. "This is something the legislature probably will be debating come next month."

Morton was going to deliver the binder to the Denver Police. He says his concern is for the patients with information in the binder.

"I thought people should know all this information was loose, lying in an alley in Denver," Morton said. "I've had problems in the past with identity theft myself and that was my first thought, that all of these people's identities could or already have been stolen."

=============

Kathleen nailed it as usual with her comment:

Anyone outraged yet? This major F-up by Wanda James is going to be nothing when the registry goes online. Wikileaks Colorado MMJ Compromised/Hacked/Cracked....you pick the word--I can see the headlines now.

The CDPHE is about to "replace" the constitutionally protected/private registry with a internet shared "integrated system" with CDPHE, Dept of Revenue and ALL law enforcement in the state, via HB1284 (which Wanda, CMMR and Sensible Colorado supported), passed by our state legislature.

Patients must DEMAND justice. And patients will have to decide if they are willing to give up their privacy by shopping in an MMC once the 'new' super prohibition over regulations from the DOR go into action. Right around the corner, Colorado. Find a caregiver now! MMC's are becoming law enforcement pre-processing/data collecting centers, nothing more.

If your MMC has not yet warned you of the oncoming attack on your patient privacy, RUN! Ask for your paperwork back! Take your plant count back! And if an MMC put you or your paperwork into a computer--get an attorney!

If the MMC applicants were willing to give up ALL their private info and power of attorney to the DOR to merely 'apply' to be an MMC in belief they were 'saving' their business, whats it to them when confronted with releasing your private info to the DOR and law enforcement to 'save' their business? If they don't comply with the DOR and/or (law enforcement) they will be closed down.

Wanda never cared about patient privacy anyway. She helped write HB-1284 which violates EVERYONE's privacy. Over 100,000 patients and caregivers in the CDPHE confidential registry are about to experience the same trauma.

Good luck to all.

W

waywardson

Call Waywardson at BR549.

The black market never looked as good as it does right damn now.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
wtf does a dispensary need with your social security number?

are you fucking kidding me?

A

A20Grower

If any patients feel that their medical records have been compromised should consult with their attorney. This isn't legal advice. Thanks to a contact with HIPAA experience.

This is a slippery slope, because HIPAA might not apply to acts that are illegal.

That said, the OCR or office for civil rights handles HIPAA complaints. Patients should go to (http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html) to file a
complaint with OCR.

You could go direct to the MMC and ask if your records were breached, but they are claiming ownership changes so that's likely a dead end.

You can also contact the Colorado attorney general to see if they are doing any sort of HIPAA complaint procedure (the HITECH provisions to HIPAA allowed state AGs to pursue violations, so they might be doing that there).

However, publicizing mistakes made by low-grade shops only give our opponents more ammo to restrict and regulate, so please keep discretion in mind when pursuing action.

pollenchucker

pollenchucker

I disagree.

THIS particular breech involved organizers of 1284 - it was their personal failings that caused this mess. SHINE THE LIGHT ON THIS! it's already big in the news.

The more people have your info, the bigger chance it gets into the wrong hands.

grow your own.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

None of MMJ in CO is HIPPA compliant and it isn't required to be. MMJ patient information is protected ONLY by the CDPHE which they are required to do under AM20.

The fast access system accesible by law enforcement blatantly violates AM20. Read the thing Wanda, it says ONLY CDPHE real clearly so some cunt like yourself can't jack with my meds!

Like I said a year ago, wait until a crooked cop gets shot robbing an MMJ grow that was accessed through the fast access system. DEA and LEO will have access to ALL MMJ registry names and adresses. Talk about a shit salad..

E

edux10

wtf does a dispensary need with your social security number?

are you fucking kidding me?

that is what i was thinking.

could be just propaganda tho.

Im in Ca, but i have never been asked for a ss number from a disp.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
that is what i was thinking.

could be just propaganda tho.

Im in Ca, but i have never been asked for a ss number from a disp.

word I was thinking the propaganda theme too

if one did ask me for my ss # Id leave

JeromeGarcia

JeromeGarcia

word I was thinking the propaganda theme too

if one did ask me for my ss # Id leave

Basically, ask if writing your SS# is mandatory. Save for government applications, or credit applications, it is not likely mandatory.

alpine dank

alpine dank

Your social is on the original application page. When a Center makes copies of your paperwork, they get your social. Unless they or you black it out.

C

canaguy27

Your social is on the original application page. When a Center makes copies of your paperwork, they get your social. Unless they or you black it out.

before i had my card. i blacked out my ss on the paperwork. it is a no brainer. i can't believe people actually gave legal drug dealers their SS#, especially the eastern european shops.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

before i had my card. i blacked out my ss on the paperwork. it is a no brainer. i can't believe people actually gave legal drug dealers their SS#, especially the eastern european shops.

Don't forget the shady vietnamese places either!

T

TyKaycha

For those who haven't gotten their card yet and are just using photocopies, the "card" doesn't have your whole SSN - just the last 4 digits (if I remember correctly)

S

SSHZ

This is why many will never use these retail operations...... cause once they have your info, they'll have it for life and it will be reported up and down the government chain. If laws change again, you've made it easy for them to find you.

Top Bottom