Pc fans and powering them

• Thread starter phoenix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

phoenix

hi there,i need a couple of pc fans for a little veg/clone cab i made.
been looking at these on the amazon web site,could someone who is electronics savvy tell me if these fans will connect to this controller

the fans have 3 point connectors,and the controller looks to have 3point female parts so are they compatable?
Also,how do u get power to the cotroller?
Anything else that u think i should be aware of i would be most welcome to hear.
cheers

B

British_Hempire

Go to tesco or asda and get one of their 5.99 universal adaptors, they have switchable voltages, maxing at 12V, at which it will probably deliver 1A max (this will be printed on the label) or root around your house for an old 12V adapter, everyone has these lyign around! The fan has either three or two wires, red, black and yellow, sometimes no yellow. The red and black are what ya need, easy to know when you have them connected the right way round to your PSU as the fan will only spin when it's connected the right way!

You don't need the fan controller, it's just to control the speed of the fans and it's just three variable resistors on a piece of tin. That 8cm fan is very expensive too, I only pay a quid for them, so shop around, try ebuyer.com, aria.co.uk or scan.co.uk. Or even better, rob some out of an old PC!

P

phoenix

Thanks for a great response BH.:)
right,i'll lose the controller.
Funny you should say that about "libereating" the fans ,a next door nieghbor of my uncles was asked to remove a few from school,i think there might have been some repairs needed that day,lol
Trouble is they are small,about 2 inches.

i just looked and i got a few adapters,6.5,7,9,12.
can i use any of these,or would the 12 be the only one?
do i just chop of the end and connect the pc fan to the power unit? twist the wires together,or is there some sort of connector u need?
sorry for the q's,but i understand less about electronics than i do about birds.
:(

C

cktRAVEl

i just looked and i got a few adapters,6.5,7,9,12.
can i use any of these,or would the 12 be the only one?

You can use the other voltages...they just drop the speed of the fan.

do i just chop of the end and connect the pc fan to the power unit? twist the wires together,or is there some sort of connector u need?
:(

No connector needed. Just chop, strip, twist wires together and wrap in electrical tape.:clapping

R

RansacktheElder

They've got it right....I robbed a fan from an old broken down pc and spliced it up to another old AC adapter. Works like a charm to exhaust my box through Neg pressure. I'm running a fairly small grow though. 3'x3'x4'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom