Pearlite on top..........or music???

• Thread starter Liberanos5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Liberanos5

I was just wondering as I was doing morning garden maintenance if putting a 1/2 inch of pearlite on top of every pail would gain me much as I try to milk my lights for every lumen. I suppose they'd turn green with algae in no time as algae LOVE phosphates, the bane of ALL salt water aquariums!!! Now that I think of it that bucket a dirt should have fresh air on it and even dry out a little to prevent nuisance mold from getting a foot hold! I am greatful for any input here for this noobie gardener (hardly a farm, maybe an ant farm). Another thing...anyone play their plants music? I have Bach on the Acoustic Wave 24/7 which even for a person not liking the classical stuff is better than the drone of fans and ballasts and lights IMO...........anyways.....Thanks!
Pablito

joehank

joehank

I asked the same question about music in another thread and only got one response. I think it can't hurt. If I had 2 rooms I would try different types of music in each for a whole cycle ( everything else being the same) and see if there were any noticeable differences.

L

Liberanos5

I asked the same question about music in another thread and only got one response. I think it can't hurt. If I had 2 rooms I would try different types of music in each for a whole cycle ( everything else being the same) and see if there were any noticeable differences.
Thank you for the reply.......Honestly I play the music for myself and if my little green buddies wanna eves drop I have no problem with it

sedate

sedate

Liberanos5 said:
I was just wondering as I was doing morning garden maintenance if putting a 1/2 inch of pearlite on top of every pail would gain me much as I try to milk my lights for every lumen

You are drastically overestimating the effects of reflection - particularly at the bottom of a plant mated to a shaded and off-white irregular surface area.

That won't help you any measurable amount.

Here, have a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Extra attention to the first sentence under the "light and electromagnetic radiation" section.

liberanos5 said:
I have Bach on the Acoustic Wave 24/7 which even for a person not liking the classical stuff is better than the drone of fans and ballasts and lights IMO...........anyways.....Thanks!

Haha. You are wasting electricity but equipment drone is really annoying.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I watched an episode of Mythbusters on t.v. and they did an experiment to see if music had any effect on plants, positive or negative. They ended up concluding that its a fact, plants grown with music were more vigorous and healthy compared to plants without music. It really didn't matter what type of music, so I don't think its a waste of electricity, especially considering that a small CD player doesn't take much electricity anyways.

L

Liberanos5

I play my ladies some classical music 24/7

Nice looking reef in your avatar, how many gallons? what all do you have in there?
It's just a little 75 gallon with a refugium. In there? Yellow tang, foxface rabbitfish, 3 blue chromis, anemone and soft corals all under two 250 metal halides and 2 full actinic blue VHO flourescents, brittle stars, hermits the usual clean up crew and a couple urchins. Thanks for the compliment. The segue from reef tank to reefer garden is an easy one.......land and sea!!!
Cordially,
Pablito

Green Giant

Green Giant

It's just a little 75 gallon with a refugium. In there? Yellow tang, foxface rabbitfish, 3 blue chromis, anemone and soft corals all under two 250 metal halides and 2 full actinic blue VHO flourescents, brittle stars, hermits the usual clean up crew and a couple urchins. Thanks for the compliment. The segue from reef tank to reefer garden is an easy one.......land and sea!!!
Cordially,
Pablito

Cool, I had over 1000 + gallons of salt water bliss going about 3 years ago. down to a 250 G bowfront now. I like the sway of the softies but the looks of the hards.

L

Liberanos5

You are drastically overestimating the effects of reflection - particularly at the bottom of a plant mated to a shaded and off-white irregular surface area.

That won't help you any measurable amount.

Here, have a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Extra attention to the first sentence under the "light and electromagnetic radiation" section.

Haha. You are wasting electricity but equipment drone is really annoying.
Yeah I knew it sounded like picking fly shit outa black pepper when I asked about the pearlite..it's just that I have this HUGE BAG of it.......glad you agree re: the drone! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! x infinity!

L

Liberanos5

Cool, I had over 1000 + gallons of salt water bliss going about 3 years ago. down to a 250 G bowfront now. I like the sway of the softies but the looks of the hards.
1000 gallons? What did you do with all your SPARE time!!! I can't imagine a 100 gallon water change......

Green Giant

Green Giant

1000 gallons? What did you do with all your SPARE time!!! I can't imagine a 100 gallon water change......

Water changes were easy, drain 100-200 off and refill. Took about 15-20 start to finish. I miss the big system, everything flourished beyond belief. I spent more time looking at it than I did working on it.

L

Liberanos5

So most def if you had SPS corals you also perked CO2 through aragonite???

L

Liberanos5

In Bonaire the night diving is impossible to describe. At the Divi Flamingo the "house reef" tarpon are conditioned to the lights of the night dives and use the opportunity for easy to prey upon dinner! The sun coral that are so uninteresting in the noonday tropical sun......in the dark...well you know! Very intersting, very beautiful...........the octopi, the parrots sleeping in their mucous cocoons, all the substrate dwellers come out to feed, arrow crabs, nudibranchs....... Yes! We are all stardust!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh yeah? I'd like to see that system! I used to work at an aquarium shop that had a custom 1500gal system, we had to don snorkel and mask to clean it. No fun when we had the Emperor snapper and queen trigger in there, those fuckers BITE HARD. So do puffers. The sharks were never a problem, and neither were the morays.

I've only dived Puerto Rico as far as the Caribbean, but I've dived the southern California coast, Bali and Guam and OH MAN! Look up Tauch Terminal in Bali, great outfit.

I did a night dive ONCE, and it was the worst experience of my life. I went with my youngest boy as my dive partner, which was why it was so awful. Being so deeply, light-suckingly dark at depth is one thing, but when you're trying to watch after a kid who's going UP AND DOWN, not to mention HERE AND THERE, in completely inky blackness mind you, I found myself wondering how I was going to call my family back in the states and explain to them that we haven't found his body yet. Literally. I got out of the water, took everything off, went into our room into the shower and sat down and cried for a good half hour. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get past that one.

mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Haven't heard anything definitive about the kind of music played, but I have read a lot on why it happens. The music produces waves which stimulate the stomata into opening up. Which in turns allows more photosynthesis to take place. So in my grow rooms I always put a little radio with a good bass into the room. Figure bass has to put out the most vibrations.

L

Liberanos5

"you're the first, the last my everything..." Oh yeah!!!!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom