Peat pots…has anyone used them?

• Thread starter Mugwort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mugwort

Mugwort

I planted a few seeds using “biodegradable” 3.5” x 3.5” peat starter pots. Has anyone that has tried these ran into problems with the peat breaking down and inhibiting root growth once transplanted to a larger pot? I haven’t transplanted them yet it was hoping to get some feedback here before I do.

Mugwort

Mugwort

I planted a few seeds using “biodegradable” 3.5” x 3.5” peat starter pots. Has anyone that has tried these ran into problems with the peat breaking down and inhibiting root growth once transplanted to a larger pot? I haven’t transplanted them yet it was hoping to get some feedback here before I do.
The last few posts of mine have not received one post. Only explanation I can think of, because I used to receive prompt responses, is that I might be on some website administrator’s list for whatever reason. Could be I irritated one of the grow snobs who think they’re gurus or maybe I’ve phrased my questions so that I look like an azzhole. Doesn’t matter…I’ll go to another forum to learn more.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Cow pots work fine. Peel off what you can, bury the rest. Carry on.

Moshmen

Moshmen

The last few posts of mine have not received one post. Only explanation I can think of, because I used to receive prompt responses, is that I might be on some website administrator’s list for whatever reason. Could be I irritated one of the grow snobs who think they’re gurus or maybe I’ve phrased my questions so that I look like an azzhole. Doesn’t matter…I’ll go to another forum to learn more.
Should have looked at the “other forums” before ya got all 🤪

Cophiljay

Cophiljay

I used them last year and they stunted 2 of my plants terribly... Never again for me...

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I've never used peat pots for cannabis, but I use these tiny fabric pots to start all my hemp plants and these get planted directly into the ground. Never once have I ever had a plant get "stunted" by these fabric pots and I've literally planted over 3,000 of them in the past 2 years.
20210506_163105-jpg.1253760

HighRootz

HighRootz

I'm gonna stop using them for my cannabis. After damn near 20+ years of using them, I finally got one that stunted my plants. The finer root hairs were ripped during extraction but you can see where the roots took a hard turn before the bottom broke out
20220906 030711
20220906 030718

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks man! I’ll transplant them out of the Jiffy pots when it’s time

Thank you
From looking at these peat pots, there seems to be one very important step being missed before planting them in their next container ... The sides and the bottom of those pots should be scored deep enough to allow root pressure to break them open to get through them and into the soil on the other side. You do this as part of the transplant process.

With that said, I don't use them ... never have, but that's how they are supposed to be used. What I have used on numerous occasions is the jiffy peat expandable pellet. The large sized pellet works pretty well but the small one is too small. Cut the netting off during transplant.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

From looking at these peat pots, there seems to be one very important step being missed before planting them in their next container ... The sides and the bottom of those pots should be scored deep enough to allow root pressure to break them open to get through them and into the soil on the other side. You do this as part of the transplant process.

With that said, I don't use them ... never have, but that's how they are supposed to be used. What I have used on numerous occasions is the jiffy peat expandable pellet. The large sized pellet works pretty well but the small one is too small. Cut the netting off during transplant.

or just don't use them, there are so many other hassle free options 😬

I have a personal vendetta against jiffy pellets

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

or just don't use them, there are so many other hassle free options 😬

I have a personal vendetta against jiffy pellets
Ahh, and what is your personal vendetta? What did they do to you?

As for hassle free options, there are many. The best one is the one that you're most comfortable with and gives you your desired results.

I'm interested in hearing the peat pellet story ...

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Ahh, and what is your personal vendetta? What did they do to you?

As for hassle free options, there are many. The best one is the one that you're most comfortable with and gives you your desired results.

I'm interested in hearing the peat pellet story ...

Show me on the doll..

I just really don't like them. When I first started growing my buddies and the hydro shops pushed jiffy pellets on me so hard and I had nothing but issues. They say the mesh net is biodegradable but I've seen pics of people digging them up out of their gardens after years 🤷‍♂️ your advice to cut the mesh is solid but I would just avoid them altogether

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don’t like them at all. Dry out, does not break down in time and stunts root development.
You're certainly correct about them not breaking down. They remain where you planted them and soil shows very clearly where they were after the grow has finished.
Show me on the doll..

I just really don't like them. When I first started growing my buddies and the hydro shops pushed jiffy pellets on me so hard and I had nothing but issues. They say the mesh net is biodegradable but I've seen pics of people digging them up out of their gardens after years 🤷‍♂️ your advice to cut the mesh is solid but I would just avoid them altogether
The netting is nylon, its not going to break down ... ever. Whoever told you otherwise didn't know what they were talking about.

I'm not of the opinion that these jiffy pellets are the "best way" or only way ... but one of several (possibly many ways) for someone to get started from seed. I've used them on and off for about 40 yrs. There's truth to what you and @BudBogart have said about them. They certainly aren't perfect, but I haven't really had issues with them either.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

You're certainly correct about them not breaking down. They remain where you planted them and soil shows very clearly where they were after the grow has finished.

The netting is nylon, its not going to break down ... ever. Whoever told you otherwise didn't know what they were talking about.

I'm not of the opinion that these jiffy pellets are the "best way" or only way ... but one of several (possibly many ways) for someone to get started from seed. I've used them on and off for about 40 yrs. There's truth to what you and @BudBogart have said about them. They certainly aren't perfect, but I haven't really had issues with them either.

Them 😳

TSD

TSD

I've used them and I've not used them. The roots will get through eventually, but I think they do slow down root expansion. You really need to score them or break some off... but usually the roots are attached to the sides, so you risk cutting or tearing off roots and pissing the plant off. This year I started my seeds directly in one gallon nursery pots. I use the jiffy pellets if I do clones, but pull the netting away if possible when I transplant. I feel like they hold water and get musty and invite shit to grow as well, especially in the humid environment required for new seedlings/babies in veg.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I've used them and I've not used them. The roots will get through eventually, but I think they do slow down root expansion. You really need to score them or break some off... but usually the roots are attached to the sides, so you risk cutting or tearing off roots and pissing the plant off. This year I started my seeds directly in one gallon nursery pots. I use the jiffy pellets if I do clones, but pull the netting away if possible when I transplant. I feel like they hold water and get musty and invite shit to grow as well, especially in the humid environment required for new seedlings/babies in veg.

that's the other aspect - they are more acidic due to 100% peat, and they also retain a lot more moisture than I'd like. I prefer my high draining inert soil mix but these do have a time and place I suppose!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Or maybe they haven't switched from Nylon just yet?
If they have, it's still not biodegradable enough. For some people, the netting is enough not to use them. I get that, and feel that they are on solid grounds regarding this. Mine come off and go into the trash can ... Oh wait, that's also part of the issue ... Forever whatever it is (chemicals, plastic, etc) buried in our landfills.

Top Bottom