Perlite first timer with fabric bags and perlite mix

• Thread starter Jafoh1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jafoh1

Hello all 👍 been growing in 5 gallon pails now for years, but am moving up to 20 gallon fabrics pots and “live soil” with 5 year old chicken poop and shavings, buggy black compost, charcoal and perlite. Been told a “base” of 2-3 small chunks of wood, with compost , then a layer of infused shavings chicken poop, a small layer of organic charcoal a bit of hay over that then the rest to fill the bag with a mix of the compost and perlite. So, I’ve seen posts of 25% perlite to 75% compost mixed then set my girls in it,,, should this all be “mixed throughout the bag or done in layers, and should there be perlite in the base as well ? I’ve gotten 5-7 footers in a 5 gallon pail consistently, potent stuff from 20% to 34% seed thc strains. Just looking for advice on the mix for optimum growth. TIA 👍👍👍

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
This soil mixture is similar to hügelkultur and sounds promising. 25% perlite is close to what I do. I'm thinking I would probably add perlite to the bottom layer for drainage purposes, depending on how well the stuff in that layer drains.

Natep

Natep

Hello all 👍 been growing in 5 gallon pails now for years, but am moving up to 20 gallon fabrics pots and “live soil” with 5 year old chicken poop and shavings, buggy black compost, charcoal and perlite. Been told a “base” of 2-3 small chunks of wood, with compost , then a layer of infused shavings chicken poop, a small layer of organic charcoal a bit of hay over that then the rest to fill the bag with a mix of the compost and perlite. So, I’ve seen posts of 25% perlite to 75% compost mixed then set my girls in it,,, should this all be “mixed throughout the bag or done in layers, and should there be perlite in the base as well ? I’ve gotten 5-7 footers in a 5 gallon pail consistently, potent stuff from 20% to 34% seed thc strains. Just looking for advice on the mix for optimum growth. TIA 👍👍👍
I would use pumice instead of perlite. It’s slower to break down and a little less buoyant. Helps keep it is place. Perlite will float to the top. When you get pots make sure they are plastic lined like the grassroots pots.

Stokes

Stokes

Just curious what does the poultry manure go for?

I used to install poultry equipment, shit would be like 4” thick and rock hard. They break it up with a skid loader. When they cleaned out the litter there would be massive patches of the healthiest mycelium you ever saw.

J

Jafoh1

Just curious what does the poultry manure go for?

I used to install poultry equipment, shit would be like 4” thick and rock hard. They break it up with a skid loader. When they cleaned out the litter there would be massive patches of the healthiest mycelium you ever saw.
Free for me, my friend has a hemp farm and 20 some odd chickens, he said he put “stuff” in it as well to enhance the naturals

J

Jafoh1

I would use pumice instead of perlite. It’s slower to break down and a little less buoyant. Helps keep it is place. Perlite will float to the top. When you get pots make sure they are plastic lined like the grassroots pots.
I got 10, 20 gallon black fabric pots on Amazon, I set em all up yesterday and transplanted 👍 the girls appear to be quite happy this morning 😂👍😂

J

Jafoh1

This soil mixture is similar to hügelkultur and sounds promising. 25% perlite is close to what I do. I'm thinking I would probably add perlite to the bottom layer for drainage purposes, depending on how well the stuff in that layer drains.
I did just that 👍 I added perlite to the compost and put a 6”base of it over large hardwood bark with an old half rotted small chunk er two, then 4-6” of shavings and chicken goodies, then a 1-2” layer of organic charcoal in 4 bags, (then my buddy said an old guru from Cali said put the charcoal over the base THEN the chicken savings) then reversed the coal and shavings on the last 4 bags to see which is better. Topped em all with good buggy compost and perlite mix. I’d say the perlite is about 20-25% in both the top and the base. We’ll see 😂👍😂

J

Jafoh1

Wrap them in plastic.
Why? Bags are black fabric designed for drainage, I’m not saving the “runoff” although I should, but will be covering the bags this fall after harvest with black contractor bags and hay / straw to keep all the bugs alive

Stokes

Stokes

Free for me, my friend has a hemp farm and 20 some odd chickens, he said he put “stuff” in it as well to enhance the naturals

keep in mind that the nutrients poultry manure are much more available than those of cow manure. You can easily burn your plants. I thought about doing it myself but was more interested the farmers dead bird compost

Natep

Natep

That would defeat the purpose of using fabric, which is gas exchange with the atmosphere.
Look at all the grass roots organic pots they are all lined with plastic. I’ve used both and there is something to the lined.

Top Bottom