Perlite Vs Rockwool

• Thread starter RoeBuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I'm wondering if anyone has experience using perlite instead of rockwool to start their clones. I'm setting up a veg room to keep mothers and to veg clones for my two UCXL8 systems. Right now my thinking is to build a small RDWC system consisting of two Rubbermaid totes, each capable of 8 plants. Originally I had hoped to find totes big enough so that I could start the plants in 8" net pots and move them directly to the UC systems when they are ready. Unfortunately, given the size of my space I can't find totes large enough that will fit. So now I'm thinking of using smaller totes and starting in 3.75" net pots. From the information I've found they are 3" tall, which when placed on top of the raised section of the 8" UC net pots, will bring the lip of the 3.75" level with the lip on the 8". It would then be a simple measure to place some hydro corn in the bottom of the 8", set the 3.75" in the middle, spread the roots out, and fill the remainder of the 8" with hydro corn. To me, perlite would be easier and cheaper than using rockwool. No conditioning of rockwool and less chance of root rot from the rockwool staying too wet. If anyone has tried this, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

ZONER

ZONER

Last year I topped my plants and used 16 oz miniature Hempy cups with only perlite in them to sex my plants worked out great.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Last year I topped my plants and used 16 oz miniature Hempy cups with only perlite in them to sex my plants worked out great. View attachment 534173

Thanks Zoner, those look great. I think my idea will work fine, I just need to get those smaller net pots and make sure the perlite stays in them. I can only get the course, commercial grade locally, so may have to sift and wash it to get rid of the dust and small pieces. I can use the small stuff for starting seeds.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Best of luck RoeBuck, I'm sure you will work it out.
Ever try these 8" pots
http://www.quarteracreorchids.com/8smwenetpot.html

No, I haven't. This is my first hydro system and I've only used the ones that came with it. I wish I could veg right in 8 inchers but I just don't have enough room. I have to walk through my veg room to get into the bloom area, so I only have a 30" by 35" area on each side. The idea is to put a tote on each side with a raised step in the middle over the piping. I found some resin boxes that will fit nicely http://www.walmart.com/ip/Homz-27-Gallon-Black-Yellow-Tough-Totes-Set-of-2/40977775. I can fit 8 of those 3.75" net pots in each.

Top Bottom