Permaculture Food Forest

• Thread starter canadaseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey brother, I wanted to ask you, do you have oaks dropping acorns in your area? I'm doing my first batch right now because this year, after having it trimmed, our black oak is dropping about a quarter to a half a pound of nuts a day so far, so I'm workin' on my first acorn cakes and stuff.

The chickens think I'm nuts.

canadaseed

canadaseed

I do actually.. there's a lot of oaks in my area... very distinguishable this time of year too with the dark brown leaves.. The food forest those is all birch cedar pines some young maples... mostly pines tho. but there's a lot of hemlocks like these i love them so much.. amazing color..
Hemlock 2
Hemlock 5

canadaseed

canadaseed

how do you prepare the acorns for cakes? I haven't really gathered tree nuts before should start learning it!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The first order of business is making sure you're collecting good quality nuts. The second, and just as important order of the day is LEACHING, because otherwise they're inedible. Right now I'm leaching mine in pieces (instead of grinding into meal first) and put 'em in a paint strainer bag that's sitting in the tank of our most-often used toilet. Right now the toilet water has turned a rather pretty purple, but that's after it first turned BLACK, then coffee/tea brown.

This is a cold leaching process, which is better for retaining good flavor and nutrients (based on my reading, please remember this is my first time doin' the acorn thang) as opposed to using boiling water for leaching. Leaching absolutely requires many water changes to remove the tannins. Fortunately, tannins are pretty much entirely water soluble.

I guess I should outline my process thus far. Have gathered healthy acorns, I've gotten at least 2.5lbs thus far because I keep going out every day and gathering freshly fallen nuts. Good ones from my tree weigh about 1/3oz each.

Those need to be dried, low and slow is best because if you dry them too quickly the nut meat turns dark, even black. I'm using a combination of my large electric convection oven set on Warm (about 150*F) and the small convection oven set on dehydrate (MUCH hotter at 195*F) for 2hr periods of time, then allowing to cool, then going at the drying again IF the shells are still too pliable.

Drying out properly is important for saving you time, because if you don't then the skins will stick to the nut meats instead of the insides of the shells. Also, trying to crack a soft, pliable shell isn't so easy.

After that, I have taken the acorns, including all the little pieces (I want every bit of goodness!) and into the paint strainer bag and toilet tank they've gone. This is where I've diverged from how most folks do things--once they have the nuts dried they immediately grind into meal and THEN they concern themselves with leaching. It makes sense because the tannins will be leached much more quickly from meal than large pieces, but you still have to do all those water changes and we're still in heavy drought mode out here.

From there, once leaching and grinding has been done, what recipe you use the acorn flour for is really up to you. I've seen recipes for pancakes, for a bundt cake (I'll link to that, it's the recipe I want to try first) and for cornbread.

^^ Follow the links she provides, they're very educational.

Here are pix of my nuts. :D

IMAG1492
IMAG1493
IMAG1494
IMAG1495

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

Gosh guys if you need acorns just ask! theres too many for the grey squirrels to hoard here! id say honestly a blck or white oak every damn block in Burlington Vermont! I would have no issue whatsoever making sure you have as many as you need.! Greatstuff!

canadaseed

canadaseed

sorry for not replying to this thread for sometime, been dealing with some pain assosiated to my condition has made it hard to be active these days.. i might have had 10 hours of sleep if im lucky this week :(.. Thx @Seamaiden for all your input on the acorn recipes next year when the trees start dropping seeds again i'll be collecting them!!! one of my fav things to do is forage.. anytime im in the wild alone at peace collecting food it's very theraputic for me...

some updates on the garden.. not sure if i've mentioned any of this before but whatever lol...

Pink Champagne currant

Mutsu Apple tree (golden delicious grafted on) the pic is the apple i grafted on
Cool apple

Mutsu apple with graft
Graft

Japanese Vampire plum.

I've also started creating some raised beds I'm gonna be doing work this week and i believe it will be the last week before heavy snowfall sets in.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just saw a dessert that used currants and the currants were like tiny jewels. Now I wanna plant some currants! I wonder if they'll live in my climate & soil.

canadaseed

canadaseed

ohh i think i've seen the same thing... you can glaze them in a corn syrup and then coat them with a fine sugar... different color ones are cool.. i might actually do this for a gift at Christmas for family.. could probably coat them with sugar then chocolate... mmmm

Top Bottom