Persistent Brown Slime Issue With My Dwc Set Up. I Am At My Wits End. Please Help. [pictures Inclu

• Thread starter t cole
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

t cole

Hi all,

I have posted about this intermittently in the past and after taking various suggestions I have still had no luck in treating this slime problem in my DWC set up.

I have had a pretty small DWC operation for about four months now. Pretty simple, just four vegetable plants growing in a 13 gallon tub (I know its only veggies for now, don't kill me for posting here). Three weeks into it i noticed my plants werent growing and the roots were consistently covered in some translucent slimey crap that appeared to be choking their growth. Over the past few months the roots have grown maybe a couple of inches and despite their small size the slime is attacking them pretty ravenously.

I have washed the roots in both h202 or a bit of bleach a few times with no real success. After the chemicals I have also also I have tried several types of beneficial bacteria like hydroguard and voodoo juice. From what i can tell the beneficials help a bit my slowing the slime build up but thats about it.

The res is a thin white plastic but it is pretty light-proof. Also I have a couple big ass air stones in there pumping oxygen so that should not be a problem (also why i don't think the slime is pythium/root rot) and lastly I have been diligent to keep the PH at around 6. Water temperature is upper 60s, never exceeding 70.

The net pots aren't submerged in water, they sit maybe an inch or two from the surface and the bubbles from the airstones keep the pots wet enough I think. I don't want to put them right into the water for fear of this very thing. I will say though that the slime apparently loves oxygen. When I check in the res, the airstones are the first thing it grows on

After leaving for a long weekend I came back and this crap was COVERING every inch of root with this snot-like substance. It is on the roots and also building up on the walls of the res a little bit. Here are the pics http://invalid.com/a/fUFmZ

The growth of the plants has been completely stunted and it seems clear from the pictures that the slime is covering the roots and depriving them of oxygen.

At this point I am about to just throw away the entire thing and just start over again but that isn't really preferable after all the work I put into it. If anything I just really want to know wtf this is so I can avoid this problem in the future. I am a somewhat experienced grower but I am stumped. I have heard good things about florashield but haven't tried it. Any suggestions are welcome

Top Bottom