PH adjusting question?

• Thread starter sh2ft2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sh2ft2

I have never adjusted ph for my plants. I got 3 plants in flower. I have only given them strictly water and im growing in OceanForest,HappyFrog,and perlite. I tested my run off and it said 5.6. Im not quite sure how about to getting the ph for my plants up. :sweating

I recently picked up a HannaMeter ph pen and GH up and down. I used the GH up and down tester to see where my water was at. It was giving me a 8.0-8.5 blueish greenish water. i got my pen in the water for about 3min and it says 7.6. When i used GH tester for my run off it said about 4.5 either way my plants are quite acidic. Just wondering if someone would be willing to help me correct the ph for my plants. I do have H+G nutrient A+B here to feed with but didnt want feed until i could figure out where im at. Thanks for the help in advance :hi

sedate

sedate

Um.

Are you using RO/distilled or tap water? Eitherway - if you are using tap - stop it.

The reason people use FF at some $15 - 20/bag is largely because of that nice low pH - shelf stuff like MiracleGro tends much closer to seven and nute lockout for cannabis. Furthermore - soil is alive and the biological processes within good stuff like FF serve to substantially buffer pH swings. Nailing 5.8 isn't nearly as important to roots in soil.

Anyway - you need to fert a bit - you'll run out FoxFarm in a few weeks in my experience.

Um. I'm not familar with H&G lines - but figure something on the order of 5ml/gallon to start. I would recommend cutting bottle dose in half to be nice and safe.

Adjust the pH of the mix to 6.5ish and keep it there for the remainder of your grow.

Don't worry about it again unless you start getting deficiencies.

putembk

putembk

to get your ph up use 1 tbs of dolomite lime once a week. Sprinkle on top and water it in. Use as mask as this stuff ins't good for you.

sedate

sedate

sedate said:
Adjust the pH of the mix to 6.5ish and keep it there for the remainder of your grow.

Just to clarify the above - I mean your nutrient solution - not the soil. If you pH your water/nutes to 6 - 6.5 and keep it there you won't have any problems in FoxFarm.

sedate

sedate

putembk said:
to get your ph up use 1 tbs of dolomite lime once a week. Sprinkle on top and water it in. Use as mask as this stuff ins't good for you.

He's got H&G nutes and you're telling him to use dolomite?

That's sloppy don't do that.

sedate

sedate

What do you mean why?

Because he can precisely tune what he has with what he has - and that is far superior to heaping dolomite once a week.

If he did it your way he would have to worry about his run-off and shit.

putembk

putembk

What do you mean why?

Because he can precisely tune what he has with what he has - and that is far superior to heaping dolomite once a week.

If he did it your way he would have to worry about his run-off and shit.

Not trying to be a smart ass or challenge your advise. Just going with what happens with me. First I don't use FF as it will, as you said, drop your ph. I use sunshine 4 and pearlite which has nothing in it therefore the plants get what I give them and nothing else. Next, my ph drops naturally and I use the dolomite to control that. If I didn't use the dolomite my ph would drop below 5.5. Yes it is a pain to check the ph of my runoff, but for me it's necessary. I like you keep my ph (runoff) between 6.2 and 6.5. All grows are different and you may have a better way so explain how you know how your ph is precisely at 6.5 without checking it?

sedate

sedate

putembk said:
Not trying to be a smart ass or challenge your advise.

Well I challenged you so shit. :)

That said - um - a couple of things -

1) Your comments about SunShine #4 are incorrect - Sungro does include a starter macro/micro nute package in that mix -

2) If you add a 6.5ish pH to a 5.5ish pH you will absolutely land somewhere in the middle - depending on relative PPM of the particular additives.

So - if his FF soil is 5.5 - and his nute solution is 6.5 - then our OP lands in the absolute green zone for a soil grow.

3) If you don't use FF - then don't tell people that do use FF how it works -

That sort of shit makes you a pompous idiot.

S

sh2ft2

Sedate .... yeah im using tap water. Im thinking about going to get a R.O system this week.

Putembk ... thank you for the advice.

Is there much of a difference between companies for R.O systems other than the amount of waste really?

Sedate if i got my nute solution to a 6.5 would my run off be about the same. Im def new to trying to dial my ph in and might need help step by step cause i have difficulties understanding things that i dont fully understand yet.

Sedate and putembk thank you for your help i greatly apprectiate it. cheers guys

sedate

sedate

sh2ft2 said:
Sedate if i got my nute solution to a 6.5 would my run off be about the same. Im def new to trying to dial my ph in and might need help step by step cause i have difficulties understanding things that i dont fully understand yet.

Um. You can't really change the pH of soil very quickly.

Soil has a lot of buffers that absorb rapid pH changes - which is why soil growers are often successful even if they never mess with the pH of their nute mix.

Anyway - if you pH your nute-mix to 6.5 - over the course of your grow your soil will get closer to 6.5 point bit by bit - but either way, in soil, 5.5 - 6.5 is a perfect range.

sh2ft2 said:
Is there much of a difference between companies for R.O systems other than the amount of waste really?

Um. Most experienced posters - me included - use RO filters from PureWaterClub.com -

Try this one:

putembk

putembk

Soil has a lot of buffers that absorb rapid pH changes - which is why soil growers are often successful even if they never mess with the pH of their nute mix.

Anyway - if you pH your nute-mix to 6.5 - over the course of your grow your soil will get closer to 6.5 point bit by bit - but either way, in soil, 5.5 - 6.5 is a perfect range.

Um. Most experienced posters - me included - use RO filters from PureWaterClub.com -

Try this one:

sh2ft2 I have a question for you, what is the ph of your runoff today? Bet is's still in the mid 5's. I know that sedate is a legend in his own mind but according to a very well respected post on this forum (the complete guide to sick plants, ph and pest troubles) located in the cannabis infirmary, nitrogen lock out in soil starts to occur at ph below 6.0. So if your fan leaves start to turn yellow and die you will know why.
I firmly believe that sedate has total control of his ph but as I said all grows are different. Your line of nutes/sups apparently causes the ph to drop more than his, just like mine. Hands on experience over time will fix this as it has for sedate and myself, even tough we have different was of doing it. I wish others would chime in and give their 2 cents worth.
Sedate, I know you are going to come back and m/f me and tell me how stupid I am but there are other ways to grow besides yours. Have a nice day!

sedate

sedate

putembk said:
Sedate, I know you are going to come back and m/f me and tell me how stupid I am but there are other ways to grow besides yours.

Yup.

putembk said:
sh2ft2 I have a question for you, what is the ph of your runoff today? Bet is's still in the mid 5's.

Did you even read what I posted?

Here - try again:

sedate said:

See that putembk? His pH should still be on the low end.

This is a biological process not a light-switch.

putembk said:
, (the complete guide to sick plants, ph and pest troubles) located in the cannabis infirmary

putembk said:
, nitrogen lock out in soil starts to occur at ph below 6.0. So if your fan leaves start to turn yellow and die you will know why.

Dude you really don't understand what you are talking about.

First off - that stupid infirmary FAQ is like 10 years old - posted and re-posted since it first appeared on OVERGROW and somehow made it - with all it's shitty pictures and shitty incomplete info all over the internet. It doesn't mean anything.

Secondly - and more to the point - Nitrogen lockout doesn't really occur anywhere in the pH spectrum for cannabis. In fact, N has the largest absorption window of any of the 13 required nutes.

Here, have some better info:

phchartys0.jpg

mj_ph_lockout.jpg

leaf_defs.jpg

putembk said:

Lastly, this really isn't the proper way to use dolomite.

This soil amendment should be used when you are preparing your Sunshine4 mix - not after to correct run-off pH problems.

If you have to adjust SunShine#4 - beyond properly preparing your fertilizer solution - that sort of tells you that you didn't prepare it right in the first place.

putembk said:
I said all grows are different.

Sure. But you are not doing it 'different' - you are doing it wrong.

Here, try this:

http://hightimes.com/grow/subcool/5728

putembk said:
I know that sedate is a legend in his own mind

I've scraped more weed off my scissors than you've ever smoked in your life.

Believe that.

:smoke

Latest posts

Top Bottom