ph/algae funk control for liquid cooled lights?

• Thread starter Mr.Sputnik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I tried bleach, I got white growth on the water jackets when the ph dropped below 8. Now I'm trying enzymes. What do you guys run?

S

seebobsled

It is probably calcium / hard water stains. CLR or white vinegar would help.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I use CLR to clean the jackets out every other run but this looks like something else besides calcium. I definitely have minerals in my well water so it could be calcium. It seems to stick to the jacket and then flake off like algae. the guys at best coast growers (fresca sol jacket manufacturer) told me a product called chiller rx works better than bleach. We'll see what happens, I tried a septic system enzyme this time so we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and CLR is an acid so it's going to throw the ph way down. The manufacture recommends keeping the ph at 8+ so that's why I didn't try it initially.

S

seebobsled

I googled chiller RX and website is down. Well water probably could use a filter. Also do you use a water softener, skip it.
I have 4 fresca sols but went to the background. I set them up thinking of using chilled water but found it pricey. Went air cooled now vert bare. If I use them again no chiller just a large rez outside passive cooling.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Can you use a glycol/ water mix and a reservoir instead of the well water?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use CLR to clean the jackets out every other run but this looks like something else besides calcium. I definitely have minerals in my well water so it could be calcium. It seems to stick to the jacket and then flake off like algae. the guys at best coast growers (fresca sol jacket manufacturer) told me a product called chiller rx works better than bleach. We'll see what happens, I tried a septic system enzyme this time so we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and CLR is an acid so it's going to throw the ph way down. The manufacture recommends keeping the ph at 8+ so that's why I didn't try it initially.
I recently learned that you should not use bleach to clean toilets stained by hard water because it SETS the hard water stains.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

My setup is 12k watts with a 550 gallon reservoir made up of two 275 gallon IBC totes plumbed together and 1hp spa pump. It's a 9 plant recirculating deep water culture system like a DD's setup but liquid cooled and homemade undercurrent system.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

It's calcium building up on the glass. CLR in the tank fixed it for now but it looks like I'll have to drain it and fill it back up with filtered water. It bubbled like soap in my cooling fountain and you could see the CLR bubbling the calcium away. It took a gallon to do the trick, I might have to get more CLR. We'll see if I get algae with the ph lower than recommended.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

I googled chiller RX and website is down. Well water probably could use a filter. Also do you use a water softener, skip it.
I have 4 fresca sols but went to the background. I set them up thinking of using chilled water but found it pricey. Went air cooled now vert bare. If I use them again no chiller just a large rez outside passive cooling.

passive cooling with a fountain constantly circulating the tank water has lowered my temps quite a bit.

S

seebobsled

passive cooling with a fountain constantly circulating the tank water has lowered my temps quite a bit.

Please explain more !
Ambient temperature, water temperature, and your design of the fountain. Any pictures?

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Nothing too complicated. There is a 1 1/2" drain on the side. The fountain lowered the temperatures of my liquid cooled lighting reservoir and ambient air temperature of my room by 5-10 degrees. it's just a piece of 2" pvc pipe with a bunch of holes in it and a 75 gallon horse trough. Run by a mag drive 1800 pump. It constantly circulates. bubbles are from the CLR I put in there.

P8200192
ttystikk

ttystikk

This is an extremely efficient way to shed excess heat and I plan to use it to keep my fish tank cool.

Top Bottom