Ph And Ppm Rising? Doesn't Make Any Sense

• Thread starter JohnnyRey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyRey

Title pretty much explains it, my ph and ppm is rising but that doesn't make any sense because ph rising when they eat and ppm drops and ph drops when they drink water more and ppm rises? Need help I wanna know why this is happening and if it makes any sense, I am using cultured solutions.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

That's exactly how it's supposed to be. If the ppm isn't too high. The ppm will drop as water level drops, and the ph will rise (mine barely rises, just a few points over the week). But if you're over feeding the water level will drop and ppm will rise, the ph will also lower as this happens.

J

JohnnyRey

ppm lowers, ph rises, or ppm stays the same and ph rises is how its supposed to be. BUT my ph rises AND my ppm rises.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

That may be a alge/slime issue. I'd lower temps or add hydroguard. Do you have any light getting in? Any slime on tubes or air stones?

ken dog

ken dog

It's possible that your humidity is too high for your temperature.... And the plant is bloated with water, and trying to push water and nutrients out.

ken dog

ken dog

The only other thing I can think of, is the alkalinity of your water... Maybe there's a lot of limestone in your water nearby?

If so, water with a high alkalinity, can be hard to bring the pH down.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Sounds like what kendog says, your water is alkaline at the source and is buffering your solution. Either that or you are running enough oxygen rough your water to make the calcium fall out; do you have any white scaling or deposits in your Rez/buckets?

J

JohnnyRey

I don't know anything about the alkaline part of the water that you guys are talking about but i do run a r/o system for my water so it comes out as 0 ppm I don't know if that changes anything. What I am mostly afraid of is the fact that can my plants be harmed from the pH going up and the ppm going up at the same time too. I dropped my ppm about a 100 lower to see if they were possibly being over fed but that is not the case and now my ppm is going up by 10 SLOWLY. So my real concern is can this really ruin my plants? Or cause any defects or anything bad? And has anyone else been through the same thing?

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

If you are testing the plain ro water your ph meter will not read it correctly

J

JohnnyRey

If you are testing the plain ro water your ph meter will not read it correctly
I don't put my ph pen in r/o water, it ruins it the label says so(if the ppm is 0) . but my ppm meter reads my water as 0 ppm.

MurderVille

MurderVille

Title pretty much explains it, my ph and ppm is rising but that doesn't make any sense because ph rising when they eat and ppm drops and ph drops when they drink water more and ppm rises? Need help I wanna know why this is happening and if it makes any sense, I am using cultured solutions.

It sounds like your EC (PPM) may be too high. Use your top off rez to slowly lower your EC. If this does not correct your issue then it may be that you need UC Roots (pool shock/bleach) to sterilize, a fungus knat problem, or both.

bball652

bball652

My ppm is going up and my pH is tanking. No good explanation around. I think it might be algea.
I am fairly meticulous, but it is Oregon and some of the plants have gotten green coats on clay pellets.

thehighguy

thehighguy

iv had similar problems, its probably heat stress related, my ppm always shoots up on extremely hot days because the plant is drinking and water is evaporating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom