Ph Drop

• Thread starter tinderthumbs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

was wonder if any one knew why when I ph at 6.5 water run off comes out at 5.5 what is making it drop???

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
was wonder if any one knew why when I ph at 6.5 water run off comes out at 5.5 what is making it drop???

Many pH changes are caused by the nutrients themselves.

The more compounds in the water-measured in parts per million (ppm) or by the nutrient solution's electroconductivity (EC)-the greater their influence on pH.

For example, the urea used in many fertilizers is broken down by enzymes into one molecule of CO2 (a slightly acidic compound) and two molecules of ammonia (a slightly alkaline compound). This can cause erratic changes in pH.

In addition to urea, any compound containing an amide chemical bond (e.g., the proteinates used in many fertilizers) can, when broken down, affect the pH in unpredictable ways.

Nutrient absorption also leads to changes in pH. When a plant absorbs a lot of potassium ions, it gives out hydrogen ions in return. The result is a net decrease in pH. The situation reverses when the plant absorbs a lot of nitrate ions and gives out hydroxyl ions to compensate, thus increasing the pH. The higher the rate of nutrient absorption, the more dramatic the change in pH.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

wow that was crazy helpful lol so what would u do to counter act it I was told lime bring it up but never used it befor it

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

that b why in veg I have 000000 problem but when I put in flower there goes the N in take and down goes the ph

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

do u think it be ezer to just ph my flower water higher?

Latest posts

Top Bottom