Ph Dropping From 5.8 To 3.9 Overnight! What Is Causing This?

• Thread starter HydroGuy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RFT

RFT

dump the silica brah it falls out of suspension too easily. if you want to shake up the nutrients try house and garden aqua flakes!

Silica has been dumped.

Im on my 3rd nute brand. Cant blame the nutes anymore.

This droopy plant issue is so weird. It’s completely random. I can find a pattern. 2 plants have died. About 12 more (out of 1100) are drooping.

They look overwatered. But why now? Nothing has changed in the water flow.

They look like overheating? But why only this zone. No other zones showing this.

Could be a pathogen? I dunno.

I just hope it doesnt spread. I wish i could be pro-active on this. But Im inclined to just ride it out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Silica has been dumped.

Im on my 3rd nute brand. Cant blame the nutes anymore.

This droopy plant issue is so weird. It’s completely random. I can find a pattern. 2 plants have died. About 12 more (out of 1100) are drooping.

They look overwatered. But why now? Nothing has changed in the water flow.

They look like overheating? But why only this zone. No other zones showing this.

Could be a pathogen? I dunno.

I just hope it doesnt spread. I wish i could be pro-active on this. But Im inclined to just ride it out.
I would look to the root zone

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Hmm i will try bumping up EC. Im usually at about 1.3-1.4 in week 4 of flower. Usually doing a flush then refilling with a half strength nutrient solution doesnt mess up my ph and fixes nutrient problems but this is just wierd. My water out of ro is 0.2 EC so definitely need to change filters. Think bad ro filters could be the cause?
Definitely i ordered all new filters and membrane. The Membrane has to be trashed. I put new filters in and they were dirty in 2 hours so time for a new membrane. Figured might as well get a sterilizer while im at it.

def replace the membrane, if it has started to fail
It can house and grow all sorts of bad stuff. That being said I want to be sure you know that the UV does NOT kill any of the bacteria. It does make it so they can no longer reproduce. So eventually you still end up with all this dead 🦠 floating around. With regular changes it’s no biggie for you. I recommend a UV this size, it handles 25 million gal a day

1A6726AC 3741 4A54 99A3 4391746548F1

when a membrane starts to fail, as this one has, due to chemical damage from chlorites (which is added to kill everything, and then ammonia is used to break those down - in this case it was not being done correctly). You can see that channeling has occurred as well partially from foiling caused by other material breakdowns. At any rate if you look close you can see biofilm slime Growing On the permeate side of the membrane, not good. This is an example of how your RO could be supplying bacteria if it’s not maintained properly 🤓

4E88877A 7CE1 4715 BA48 EE2D458E5F00

RFT

RFT

Im thinking this latest issue might be flow rate related. Gonna start a new thread on it.

But it’s very possible i got the flow rate wrong. Many of the symptoms experienced from this match the issues I’ve experienced.

RFT

RFT

My pitch & flow seem to be within ranges.

Starting to question whether I have a rodent issue. Mice in particular.

RFT

RFT

Update, probably not mice or rodents.

I must have a pathogen of some sort. Things have gotten progressively worse since yesterday. 20+ plants now droopy. Lots of yellowing on leaves of even the non droopy plants.

I need advice QUICK on how to kill any possible pathogens. Or im gonna lose my whole crop quick.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I can't say for certain but kinda looking like root zone issue. Maybe root rot. Hydrogaurd is about the only thing I can think of that may help if that's the case.

They are pretty rough so not sure if they can turn around.

Can you look at the root zone?

RFT

RFT

It’s gotten very cold here at night. Sometimes into the low 40’s.

That said, no other zones are showing issues. Resi temps been in the high 50’s at worst.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree it must be a root zone issue.

Roots are healthy tho.

Im flushing the resi.

I’ll add a shit ton of Hydroguard. Or better yet DefGuard. It’s more concentrated.
I'm not sure defgaurd will kill pythium. I would stick to hydrogaurd personally. It's a specific strain of bacteria... Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens. It has the ability to kill pythium infected tissue inside the roots. I'm not sure what that other stuff is made up of.

RFT

RFT

I'm not sure defgaurd will kill pythium. I would stick to hydrogaurd personally. It's a specific strain of bacteria... Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens. It has the ability to kill pythium infected tissue inside the roots. I'm not sure what that other stuff is made up of.

Same exact active incredient. Much stronger dosage tho.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It’s gotten very cold here at night. Sometimes into the low 40’s.

That said, no other zones are showing issues. Resi temps been in the high 50’s at worst.
That temp is going to affect transpiration and overall plant health. I would definitely fix that and add the hydrogaurd

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They look like they're drowning, bad flow/oxygen rate at the root zone.
Very well could be... I'm not certain but I agree a root issue. It appears to be acute from his description which is why I'm kinda leaning to rot but that could well be the root cause.... No pun intended

chemistry

chemistry

From top to bottom, this has been coming for at least a week, the yellow leaves at the bottom look to have been scavenged to feed the dark tops, why? Maybe it couldn't feed? The water flow to the plant has ceased, this is evident from it's collapsed appearance. Only one suspect here. The Vicor, Lead Piping, The Library.

RFT

RFT

They look like they're drowning, bad flow/oxygen rate at the root zone.

I thought so as well. Until I saw dropping like the pic I showed you. That plant is at the top of the channel. It is getting fresh, oxygenated solution sprayed on it 24/7. And has so for 5 weeks.

If flow rate or over watering were the issue, I’d have seen this problem on previous cycles, right?

Attached are pics of the zone just a few days ago. Nothing has really changed other than a resi flush last Monday.

4FBAB40B 4AB7 4760 825B 55CCA13289C3
F2AC57FC 3683 466C B5AD F06A20D1668D
Top Bottom