pH falling in DTW res

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cctt

After filling a res with RO water (EC=0.0) and GH FloraDuo nutrients (which usually have seemed pretty pH stable) I'll end up at about 6.3, which will hold for 4 days before plunging down to the lower 5's, then quickly into the 4's. Past that point I can add Up every day but still can't really keep up with it. This res is not recirculating so the plants can't be having any effect. It is well aerated and has constant water motion.

Is it reasonable to assume something must be growing in the water that's acidifying it? I'm also using Floralicious Plus which I suppose could be feeding it. Is there anything else I should check for? I'm used to being able to run for a week before the pH starts getting out of line.

C

cctt

is this a top off rez? JK
I have in the past topped off with more water/nutrients when it ran low. Now I've been draining the whole thing and starting over with the assumption that the current remaining water can't be trusted to hold a pH any more and has to go. Still drops in 4 days.

J

Jalisco Kid

I was questioning the way you said the plants can not effect the nutes. pH coming off the roots and taking up certain Nitrogens can change pH. Not familiar with your feed to know how it's buffered. Another thing that seems to effect some nutes and pH is aeration. JK

Trillionsoatoms

Trillionsoatoms

The more you ph a solution the wackier it will get. If your mixing enough nutes it SHOULD buffer to 5.8 and stay for days .. NO PHING.

Mix nutes, let sit 12 hrs bubbling... Then check. Solution dropping could be it becoming to concentrated and dropping ph. Are you topping off daily/ every other day or what?

Are they feeding hard?

Try not to ph anything, less is more here. Ph down? Use more nutes, ph up? Add more water.

Could be decaying root mass or rotting foliage in water somehow ? I haven't seen pics of yer setup so it's hard to say...

J

Jalisco Kid

I was questioning the way you said the plants can not effect the nutes. pH coming off the roots and taking up certain Nitrogens can change pH. Not familiar with your feed to know how it's buffered. Another thing that seems to effect some nutes and pH is aeration. JK

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Seems to be what your mixing in your Rez that is causing the PH drift.. I have the same issue when i used hygrozyme or any compost teas... Once added the PH tends to drift up from 5.8 to 6.7, gradually.. If no teas are added then the drift tends to be minimal...

I believe JK, hit it on the nose, the different sources of nitrogen you use in your mix may also cause this..

I read an article a while back stating the different cations and anions in your nutrient mix will cause it to drift up or down depending on how balanced your formula is...

C

cctt

I've just cleaned the res with H2O2 to wipe out whatever's living there and am trying again. We'll see where the pH goes this time.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

The RO is the problem, read on bro

Peace :cool:

How to buffer reverse osmosis water
Here is a great tip for those who use reverse osmosis water to buffer your water and help stabilize pH. There are two ways, both efficient.

- For those who prefer simplicity, all you have to do is add 20% tap water to your reverse osmosis water.

- For the purists who do not want to use tap water, or whose water is particularly bad, here are two easy steps:
1 – First increase your pH up to 10.0 with pH Up or potassium carbonate
2 – Then bring it down to 6.0 with
pH Down

In both cases you’ll obtain water well adapted to hydroponic nutritive solutions, while avoiding untimely pH fluctuations.
You need to raise pH first because the “buffer” elements have a very high pH or very low pH. You can start by adding acid, but then you will need pH up to raise your pH.
You need to buffer R.O. water simply because pure water has no buffering capacity. It is subject to big swings in pH every time you add something to the solution, making it unsuited for cultivation. Using pure R.O. is a classic source of failure.

If you’re using reverse osmosis water, add 50-100 ppm of Cal/Mg; this helps to buffer your water so nutrients absorb better.

What happens is that the basic/alkaline components (mainly calcium) that are responsible for the high PH (as in 7.3 or 7.6) also buffer it together with the more neutral components. As soon as you add SOME acid, the basic elements neutralize it in 24 hours, but loose some potency, respectively get eliminated partially within the "reaction". If you repeat that process, the alkaline components- and their buffer capacity get lower and lower until the alkaline buffer is "gone". The "last" time you add ph-down/acid to your water, it will drop drastically to perhaps under 5. This mostly happens when a week PH down is used repeatedly. With Nitric acid at 75 or 95 %, this will not happen, it will get the alkaline elements down in one shot. But that is the stuff that burns through concrete floors like alien blood and it's truly not everyone's cup of tea. If ever you can lay hand on it in the US without an explosive license. ;-)

PH of boiled water of 8.4 after 13 hours of boiling is "normal" because you evaporate lots of water, while calcium and other alkaline elements (already responsible for the high pH) remain in the water and hence will be present in higher concentration and push up the pH. There may also be some chemical reaction and transformation within these 13 hours of boiling, I don't know of. Nutrients generally lower and buffer a certain pH, that's what any mineral composition with an acidic sum, added and dissolved in water does anyway. NUTRIENTS are actually made to lower the PH, as the usual 7+ is not suited. The only difference is that some manufacturers point this out explicitly while others don't. Some manufacturers may indeed add some more of specific components like mono potassium phosphate that helps lowering and buffering such Ph, but that's pretty much it. As a side effect (when running higher EC) you may have excessive Phosphorus that will result in Ca deficiency. But in this context it is important to know that a higher nutrient concentration will lower the pH more than a weaker ratio. Hence in some cases it's not a bad idea to simply (slightly) increase the nutrient concentration by a click or two. It's also a reason why some manufacturers recommend higher concentrations as needed, and some commercial growers push the nutrient concentration higher. If the PH of the base water is too high, most nutrients can't bring it down to around 6 and that's (only) where pH down- as in acids or other components are required. In ANY case it is always best to have, use or get water that is around and not (much) over 7.
RO water is fine, but take care what nutrients you use, as with some extra acidic nutrients (many are developed with areas in mind that have an excessive amount of calcium carbonate in the (well)water) you may end up with an unwanted but extraordinary low PH as well.
Attention, Ph and EC are interconnected, EC reading of a nutrient solution will not be the same at PH 5.0 as it is at 7.0!

Trillionsoatoms

Trillionsoatoms

Never ph a solution that hasn't had time to buffer.

doing this raises ppms,throwing off your :available "food" in the solution: readings, causes flucuation later down the road and can de-precipitate certain elements out of the solution causing them to bond and drop to the bottom of the rez... You can watch this happen just by looking at what your doing.

Always allow time for nutes to buffer with your water. Take a reading and even better yet - get the water tested before using. Know what's in your water because you might need to use a "hard water" version of a nutrient, add cal /mg, soften the water, simply filter it, use it like it is or even have to use an r/o filter... Always know what's in your water , use quality nutrients and know how to mix the solution, or you will spend every day fighting ph!

C

cctt

Update: I cleaned the res with H2O2 and refilled. I'm still using the Floralicious Plus but have also added some sugars. pH now swings upward as I would expect. Unfortunately I wasn't scientific enough to know which of those changes fixed it. Either there was some unusual life growing in there which was killed off, or now the sugars are promoting the type of bacterial life that raises pH. Or both.

J

justhydronow

Check out your humidity, if it's low plants are sucking water very fast and not using nutes at the same rate so solution becomes concentrated and pH falls.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
I'm sorry I have some questions that have not been asked....

I'm wondering which PH product you are using? You did not mention it. I am a Loyal GH user for probably 13+ years, but GH PH products don't and have never worked well for me...I had huge swings.. just like you speak of... after about 4 days the swing is almost un-recoverable. I switched long ago to Advanced Nuttients Ph products (I know...Don't shoot me yet...PH is the only product I use from them let me explain). I had to use quite a bit of the GH and then there was the swing...Advanced is pharm grade concentrated which means less and it stays stable throughout the week for me.

You may also want to hit up someone who runs the DUO...I think I read that babaG was using the DUO

What are your temps? Humidity? Wattage of light? Some room details...all are relevant.

What strength are you feeding? GH is known for running their nute schedules for people very hot...but they wanna sell product. GH takes some refining to run. You could simply be feeding too heavy...and it is just wanting a drink of H20

What strain are you running? This only matters as far as maybe a strain hungers for something that it is not getting....example kush and chems like calmag. Some are N whores...will devour any and all N then changing the balance of the res...and so on with the scenarios...

Is evaporation of H20 a problem in the ressy....this would change the PH also?

Top Bottom