Ph Fluctuation In Ewc Amended Coconut Coir And Hydroponic

• Thread starter FarmerX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FarmerX

Hello fellow Coconut coir(CC) enthusiasts,

Ive been reading about amending CC with earth worm castings(EWC). Here's what I've accumulated this far, and at the end are some questions.

The amendment rates recommended are:

- 1 Tbsp. EWC / 1 Gallon CC (Weekly top Dress ending at week 4 of flower). Some disagree with top dress applications.

- 5-10% EWC / 90-95% CC

- 15-30% EWC; these rates require an aeration amendment such as rice hulls/ perlite.

~ Seems most believe that EWC loses nutrient value after 4-6 weeks on hydroponic applications.

I see significant benefit to light EWC incorporation, as long as it doesn't pose a medium pH risk.

Can anyone speak to the effect of EWC on medium/run off pH while using hydroponic nutrients?

Thanks,

X

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If you put the ewc in a tea with kelp and other vegan ingredients with beneficial micro organisms and some molasses you can adjust the ph of the brew before watering with it.
My coco plants love tea time.

F

FarmerX

@DrMcSkunkins -

Thanks for your response!

I've played around with teas, and I do incorporate some botanical extracts into my regiment.

I'm truly curious about the pH characteristics of an amended medium.

Thanks again,

X

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

its always goin to be hard with EWC as it all depends on how old it is and moisture content its just one of them things
I personally think with the increase in store bought EWC many manufactures are cutting corners and adding fill
which creates problems

F

FarmerX

@DrMcSkunkins -

Thank you again, a great suggestion and link. I'm very familiar with slurry tests and occasionally send samples out for analysis.

I'm certain I can obtain a conclusion on my own, but perhaps I can also save myself three-four weeks of experimenting when another farmer has already gone through the trials.

Thanks!

X

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Are you talking hydroponic nutrients or hydroponics like ebb tables or drip?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Top feed hydroponic nutrients, Drain to waste.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

X

Personally I wouldnt amend any of my medium when going hydro. That's just 1 more thing you have to manage. Plus depending on your pot size you will be dripping them multi times a day. Coco doesnt mind being wet all the time. Im not to sure about EWC. Also you will be basically feeding them EWC 4-6 times a day which they might not like in the end. Then you get into PH. Anything organic like that will fluctuate your PH as it breaks down/gets used.

If anything I would use EWC to brew TEA and use that 1 day or foliar with it.

Top Bottom