PH in pro mix using dolomitic lime

• Thread starter Dr.B
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This in line with what I've been reading up to now. To me it tells me what I'm trying is possible.. how do I test CaCO3 content in a cost effective manner?

I have only ever gone by total ppm.

I never used the calculations just needed to understand whats going on.

So i simply measure the ec (ppm) and ph in and out and monitor this stuff over time for changes. Then react. Usually low ph means excess nutes and coincides with high ec runoff.

Dr.B

Dr.B

I have only ever gone by total ppm.

I never used the calculations just needed to understand whats going on.

So i simply measure the ec (ppm) and ph in and out and monitor this stuff over time for changes. Then react. Usually low ph means excess nutes and coincides with high ec runoff.
Ok, I do that already. Only reason these clones are still breathing lol 🤣

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I flush the shit out of it once its in containers before adding nutrient for the initial planting. Is this not good/necessary? I had to increase feed rates yesterday on the Do-Si-Do I just transplanted. Seedlings too. They were hungry... Happy on all counts but hungry.

Yeah thats complete and buffered with 2 kinds of lime and has a nutrient charge.

I was flushing cause of the high initial ec but no fertilizer on the label. Very confusing. I emailed pro mix and they explained the nutrients are in there so no need to flush. Plant right in it and use tap water a week as needed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ok, I do that already. Only reason these clones are still breathing lol 🤣

Honestly you are asking the questions of a successful grower in my opinion. This is a basic concept that seems to be missing from grow guides and forum discussions.

We read add cal mag instead. Lol

Dr.B

Dr.B

Yeah thats complete and buffered with 2 kinds of lime and has a nutrient charge.

I was flushing cause of the high initial ec but no fertilizer on the label. Very confusing. I emailed pro mix and they explained the nutrients are in there so no need to flush. Plant right in it and use tap water a week as needed.
Lovely. I didn't like the initial ppm/EC either. That's why I flush them right out. Thinking I want the plants on the nutrient I selected anyway... Not whatever pro mix snuck in there.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh so it does come out of the bail lower!? I never measured it fresh, I do the pre wet as recommended but that's all

In my 3 gallon pot I added half as much Dolomite to the Pro mix as I normally add to 3 gallons of ffof, and it went up to 7.2 and never budged the whole grow no matter how low I pH'ed the water!!!😠

Yes and the drier the bale the lower the ph. Mine reads 5.0 before watered in from initial runoff. Then 6.2 after a week or so wet.

They warn they may have overlimed. No mention of too little.

Dr.B

Dr.B

Honestly you are asking the questions of a successful grower in my opinion. This is a basic concept that seems to be missing from grow guides and forum discussions.

We read add cal mag instead. Lol
I'm not currently adding cal mag lol

Thank you! I'm here to learn. Usually I'm more self taught...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lovely. I didn't like the initial ppm/EC either. That's why I flush them right out. Thinking I want the plants on the nutrient I selected anyway... Not whatever pro mix snuck in there.

Even the rep said we could do either. But i wasted so much dyna gro feeding every transplant when it wasnt neccessary.

I flushed and fed pure blend pro to a 1 gallon transplant and only watered another and they grew pretty much the same. The dyna gro foliage pro may have been better with the protect but i still am going to use the charge in the soil rather than waste it.

Dr.B

Dr.B

Even the rep said we could do either. But i wasted so much dyna gro feeding every transplant when it wasnt neccessary.

I flushed and fed pure blend pro to a 1 gallon transplant and only watered another and they grew pretty much the same. The dyna gro foliage pro may have been better with the protect but i still am going to use the charge in the soil rather than waste it.
I'm glad I asked lol. I think, because I'm only starting out on these girls I can fix the problem for the most part in subsequent transplants over the next week or so. For now I can replace the top inch or more of media in the cups with straight pro mix to get me to the transplant.

I'm learning! Lime is for f@ck ups, when used prior to a f@ck up its a f@ck up in and of itself. I see the flaws in my experiment very clearly now lol

One change at a time D... A lesson I continue to re-learn...

I'm ok, I guess... with my own mistakes/issues lol. I often decide to make them to see what happens and how to deal with it/how it effects the plant.

Much obliged everyone. I'll keep this updated in case anyone is interested. Mostly it will be mentioned in my grow diaries though.

Dr.B

Dr.B

Considering the amount of plants that I have to take care of... I don't mind taking the hit flushing the initial charge out. I don't know how I missed the whole section on lime being added by pro mix...(pot head...) I went with my initial readings of 5.5. I had assumed that the pH rose because of the lime that I had added... 🤣🤣🤣

I think I have my head on straight here guys. Thank you. Lol

Lots of work to do tonight... Or whenever they dry out mostly... Should be tonight.

Dr.B

Dr.B

I discarded 75 - 80% of my previous media mix and added 3 gallons un altered pro mix and 1 gallon of new perlite. Watered with de-chlorinated un altered water. Once its evenly saturated I will fill a container for use, flush it out, feed it... (Stubborn, won't hurt 😜) and use it to amend the soil in the cups and one small pot tonight. Damage control nights used to give me anxiety... Two + years later... 🤷‍♂️

I'm confident that I can fix this. I appreciate the direction. Clarity...

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm glad I asked lol. I think, because I'm only starting out on these girls I can fix the problem for the most part in subsequent transplants over the next week or so. For now I can replace the top inch or more of media in the cups with straight pro mix to get me to the transplant.

I'm learning! Lime is for f@ck ups, when used prior to a f@ck up its a f@ck up in and of itself. I see the flaws in my experiment very clearly now lol

One change at a time D... A lesson I continue to re-learn...

I'm ok, I guess... with my own mistakes/issues lol. I often decide to make them to see what happens and how to deal with it/how it effects the plant.

Much obliged everyone. I'll keep this updated in case anyone is interested. Mostly it will be mentioned in my grow diaries though.
bingo and why i use wood ash instead,it is more forgiving and can easily be leached from your mix were as lime takes forever and to flush a mistakes really takes it toll on the root zone,even perlite turns to stone or mush after excess of water run threw the media therfor not helping with oxygen at all

Dr.B

Dr.B

I snuck in under the special green light and got the job done very gently and quietly... Almost ninja like... lol The plants don't look like they realized anything happened at all. Once the lights come on I'll water the new media in and expect a week of shock for my efforts. Its all for the better though girls.

I ended up replacing almost half of the media. What I saw for root growth I was very happy with. I'll be transplanting as soon as they recover.

Dr.B

Dr.B

An hour and a half of watering, testing, mixing and doing it again. Everything is back in range. Not perfect but good for tonight.

The flower tents leech is NA'd due to contaminated test results from a solution I spray on the pots every now and again for mold when a spot pops up.

Pics attached. Everyone who was struggling is doing much better. Standing up and almost the right shade of green!

IMG 20200719 194301
IMG 20200719 201111
IMG 20200719 201045
IMG 20200719 201050
IMG 20200719 201040
IMG 20200719 201036
Last edited:
Dr.B

Dr.B

Just started watering pots to transplant into next week. The only thing added to the pro mix... perlite. Lol

I think this thread served its purpose. I learned a lot throughout this experiment which has now been keeping me on my toes since spring. Soon, the flowering plant avec lime will be done and the rest will have none added to the last two transplants. My newly adapted watering technique will keep everything running from here

I have a much much better idea and grasp of the media I'm growing in. Alkalinity in general, and its effects above 6.5/how to spot and treat those issues. What effect lime has on the media/plant, what types of lime are available and how they break down over time. Also, Lime is a better amendment than conditioner in this case, (pro mix beat me to it)... The list goes on.

I appreciate everyone's input today!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I know this is late in the thread, but I would advise against adding any additional lime to Promix. I find it sits right around a Ph of 7, and the only thing added bsides compost is about 2 tablespoons of wood ashes mixed into 5 gallons of promix. This has worked great for me for decades but Promix will also get stale if it sits too long... something changes. Lime is great if you have an overly acidic Ph and work best if given time to work. I have found that the best course, at least for me, is to leave the Ph alone and I just use tap water for the minerals needed.

Dr.B

Dr.B

I know this is late in the thread, but I would advise against adding any additional lime to Promix. I find it sits right around a Ph of 7, and the only thing added bsides compost is about 2 tablespoons of wood ashes mixed into 5 gallons of promix. This has worked great for me for decades but Promix will also get stale if it sits too long... something changes. Lime is great if you have an overly acidic Ph and work best if given time to work. I have found that the best course, at least for me, is to leave the Ph alone and I just use tap water for the minerals needed.
You see what happened was; I had some success using dolomitic lime as a soil amendment when things started getting out of hand in that department so I decided to try it in my mix from the start. Pretty much a disaster but I kept the plants alive through the spring and half of summer before correcting the problem. AHEM! Ending the experiment rather...

I learned a bunch as stated ⬆️.. but the most important thing I learned, next to; Don't mess with the pH in the media was; Learn how to water more effectively to maintain pH from that end instead. I did both of course so didn't get the desired result in my watering changes immediately lol...

I learned a lot lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I learned a bunch as stated ⬆.. but the most important thing I learned, next to; Don't mess with the pH in the media was; Learn how to water more effectively to maintain pH from that end instead. I did both of course so didn't get the desired result in my watering changes immediately lol...

I learned a lot lol
If you didn't make any mistakes, I wouldn't believe you! I've grown for decades and have made every mistake possible. After a while you run out of mistakes to make and end up doing something right... Keep up the good work. You didn't have a bad season, you just paid for your education in a non monetary form!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You see what happened was; I had some success using dolomitic lime as a soil amendment when things started getting out of hand in that department so I decided to try it in my mix from the start. Pretty much a disaster but I kept the plants alive through the spring and half of summer before correcting the problem. AHEM! Ending the experiment rather...

I learned a bunch as stated ⬆.. but the most important thing I learned, next to; Don't mess with the pH in the media was; Learn how to water more effectively to maintain pH from that end instead. I did both of course so didn't get the desired result in my watering changes immediately lol...

I learned a lot lol
Jim tried to talk me out of adding lime to my promix disaster too LOL ..sure wish I'd listened!

Latest posts

Top Bottom