Ph Is Off...

• Thread starter RobGee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RobGee

Not exactly sure where to post this, but I've been having some deficiency issues and I believe it's Ph related. I have 2 testers, a Hanna handheld and just picked up a Bluelab handheld. After I calibrate them I drop the probes into my rez and I'm getting a difference of at least .3, sometimes as high as .6 with the Bluelab meter always showing the higher # (right after both show 7.0 in the reference solution). Any ideas?

Thanks

J

jinxjj

Bluelab are pretty expensive and decent quality right? How much was the Hanna and what kind of reputation do they have?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not exactly sure where to post this, but I've been having some deficiency issues and I believe it's Ph related. I have 2 testers, a Hanna handheld and just picked up a Bluelab handheld. After I calibrate them I drop the probes into my rez and I'm getting a difference of at least .3, sometimes as high as .6 with the Bluelab meter always showing the higher # (right after both show 7.0 in the reference solution). Any ideas?

Thanks
But they both calibrate to the same point(s)? Are you using the two-point calibration method? If so I would agitate the reservoir a bit more and see what happens, then pick a meter to use and stick with that one. If not, then I think you should be using the two-point calibration method first, just to be sure they're both calibrated to the exact same pH points.

R

RobGee

Both are comparably priced ($250ish retail). As far as reputation, not exactly sure, this is my first Bluelab, I've gone through 3 or 4 Hanna handhelds over 10 years and decided to make the switch, but still have a Hanna for reference and its driving me nuts that they won't putout the same reading after calibration.

R

RobGee

But they both calibrate to the same point(s)? Are you using the two-point calibration method? If so I would agitate the reservoir a bit more and see what happens, then pick a meter to use and stick with that one. If not, then I think you should be using the two-point calibration method first, just to be sure they're both calibrated to the exact same pH points.
You mean calibrating 7.0 AND 4.0 right? I did do that. Also my rez has 4 air stones in it and circulates constantly.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, using the 4.0 and 7.0 points.

I'm at a loss, then. Clearly there's a difference between the two probes, but I'm not sure how I would address it beyond calibration. I would probably get on the horn with the manufacturers, then.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I've been using blue lab forever and def can speak to the quality of it. U will drive yourself nuts looking to both of them. Many moons ago I had the same problem because I was trying to use both my blue lab and Milwaukee martini. Ditched the Milwaukee and trusted my blue lab and never have a problem to this day. Long as ur using the two point cal as seamaiden said I'd be vey comfortable trusting the blue lab. Good luck brother

R

RobGee

Yes, using the 4.0 and 7.0 points.

I'm at a loss, then. Clearly there's a difference between the two probes, but I'm not sure how I would address it beyond calibration. I would probably get on the horn with the manufacturers, then.
Good idea, until then I think I'll go with the BL because it is usually closer to 7.0/4.0 before calibration. I really appreciate the help Sea. Just put together a new room and it turned out great, atmosphere is almost perfect, but my girls are NOT happy. They seem to be pulling out of their funk, but I might need to post some pics and get some advice from you.

Much Thx

R

RobGee

I've been using blue lab forever and def can speak to the quality of it. U will drive yourself nuts looking to both of them. Many moons ago I had the same problem because I was trying to use both my blue lab and Milwaukee martini. Ditched the Milwaukee and trusted my blue lab and never have a problem to this day. Long as ur using the two point cal as seamaiden said I'd be vey comfortable trusting the blue lab. Good luck brother
Glad to hear it! Just want to be confident in my equipment. How often do you calibrate your BL? Thx Tnelz

mr roboto

mr roboto

Bluelab are pretty expensive and decent quality right? How much was the Hanna and what kind of reputation do they have?
Dude I have the combo pen from bluelab and my ph phobe broke a few times from the wire getting a little loose from that connecting directly to the probe and I hit them up via email and all I can say is that "wow" they have pretty good customer service and their guy Julio took care of me and shipped a few probes out for me to exchange. Bluelab is worth the money definitely in my book

Also if the probe dries out it will give a lower reading (from what I experienced) , just replace it and its good as new

Top Bottom