PH issues, or possiblly TDS issues? First grow advice needed.

• Thread starter yourtreeshugger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

yourtreeshugger

Hey everyone, new to the forum and on my first grow. Running into a couple issues and trying to pin down the culprit so I can avoid this on my next grow that I just recently started.
7 plants total, 5 of which were bag seed and the instigator for starting this new hobby.. along with a couple purchased fem seeds of grape jelly and animal cookies s1 from Greenpoint.

Everything was seemingly fine until I switched over to flower and the animal cookies started going downhill fast.
By this point everyone has experienced some kind of issue, some small and others more significant.

The grow is organic and I'm using recipe 420 soil with added castings along with 4-6-2 and 4-9-3 nutrients from happy frog for veg to flower.
Given one good dose of 4-6-2 in the soil mix before repotting around 1 week prior to flower, and top dressed with the 4-9-3 about 2 wk ago, roughly 2 wk into flower. Currently on day 39-42 of flower, as I didn't mark my start date exactly.. noob mistake.

As far as I have learned from my researching, I was watering a bit much in the beginning being it was hot at the time here in AZ, so things seemingly dried up pretty quickly and I figured to err on the side of more water than less. I would wait until atleast the top 1" was dry before hitting them again.. also didnt know to have the plants in larger pots when growing organic and that may have been another part of the problem. They went into flower in 3gal pots... I repotted to a 5gal for the grape jelly and animal cookies about a week ago upon learning they needed more space for their size (36" tall roughly on those two) while the bag seed phenos are much shorter and stayed in the 3gals but are progressing well.
And lastly I realized, about a week after switching to flower, that I had been watering with a pH8.2 from the filtered tap the entire time (about 4-5 weeks of veg, plus 1 week of flower).

Diagnosis:
After switching to flower, the animal cookies pretty quickly progressed from healthy green foliage to a more yellowish hue, and then the leaves started to cup downward.. also lost most all its vigor at this point and hasn't been growing strong since. The grape jelly's leaves began to claw around the same time, but it hasn't slowed much on growth..
temps/humidity have been pretty consistent but we did have a swing of high temps for about a week here in AZ and the tent got up around the 83-84 range during the hottest two days of the heat wave.. but things were already having issues prior to that. Likely just contributed to the stress.

I began with assuming my pH was the culprit as I read a good article by growweedeasy that described many of my issues relating specifically to high pH (purple leaf stems, yellowing leaves that stayed strongly attached, crispy feeling leaves and some other random little issues), and when I tested the runoff it was measuring around 7.8-8.2 (nice dark green).
But I've watered to runoff with pH 6.2-6.6 water now 3 times over the past couple weeks with little improvement from what I can see.. the first runoff had a lot of dissolved solids though as the water dried up leaving a crusty film on the floor.. That's what led me to think more about TDS, being our tap water is pretty hard. TDS meter will be here today to get more accurate there.
But a few of the lower animal cookies leaves got even worse and are very yellow/brown now, but still stuck on strong..

When I repotted the grape jelly and animal cookies, both were quite root bound which may be a factor... But all the roots were healthy and white so I'm at a loss now.
the photos shown were taken today in the 4x4, with the last one being the start of flower in the 2x4 to show the leaf color changes.. animal cookies and grape jelly are the bottom right two of the group.
Oh yeah, and I defoliated too much going into flower as well lol. Bunch of noob mistakes.. but hopefully after this I'll know about all of em!

thank you in advance to anyone willing to read through all of this.

Ph issues or possiblly tds issues first grow advice needed
Ph issues or possiblly tds issues first grow advice needed 2
Ph issues or possiblly tds issues first grow advice needed 3
Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'm thinking for a first timer, you are doing a pretty nice job. Really nice so try not to be hard on yourself.

Clawing is evident in most all of your plants.
This is a warning sign that your Nitrogen levels on average are running a little high.
I'd like to know how you calculate your NPK application rates when applying dry fertilizers?
Or do you apply as directed on the bag?

The light colored plant in the front row.
I believe that this plant has a potassium uptake issue / Potassium lockout caused buy very high PH levels about the time you flipped 12/12. From what I can see. There is more than adequate potassium in the pots. Don't add more!

How to adjust PH in organic cannabis.

I am also a hard core defoliator. Like I said your plants look great.
Maybe give this video a watch and save it to your browser for next grow.
I'm sure you will appreciate it. Skip ahead to 8:00 watch Strip to the tip section.

I do have some very useful information I'd like to share with you.
Ron.

Y

yourtreeshugger

Thank you for that.
I do simply follow the bags direction regarding tbs/gal of soil. I actually went a bit light on the top dressing for flower though, as I didn't want to overdo it and was already experiencing some small issues at that point. Was hoping the top dressing with the flowering mix might help a bit.
I have also used the fox farm microbe brew liquid blend along with the last 3 waterings, trying to aid in any potential deficiencies. I'll put a photo showing that bottles contents. Mainly microbes and mycorrhizae, with various fertilizer additives such as earthworm castings and feather meal, kelp etc. had a npk of .3/.2/.2 I believe so I figured it couldnt do much but help.

I'm certainly open and appreciative to any and all info. I'm a bit of a sponge that way. Thank you for the comment.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

This will teach you how to calculate exactly how much dry fertilizer you are applying to your plants.
Save them to your desk top so you can find them when you have time.

This is how you calculate liquid fertilizer.

Once you have a firm grasp on what you are pouring in the top. You can also measure what is coming out the bottom
with that shinny new E.C pen and see what the plant is using. How much is left over from last feeding or how much more you need to add.

Y

yourtreeshugger

So when I am using organic blend fertilizers with low npk values co pared to salt based fertilizers, wouldn't I need excessively more and in a ratio more similar to the 15-5-20 he uses in the first video to gain the proper NPK ratios in ppm? Take my 4-9-3 flowering blend for example by Fox farm. That would be a much higher ppm of P than N correct? Even though you only need around 60-70ppm of P to flower efficiently? Bruce bugbee has discussed this several times regarding the over use of P in the agricultural industry. Especially the cannabis portion.

Y

yourtreeshugger

The first video essentially makes me feel I need more nitrogen.

I did a soil sample from on of my flowering pots last night and soaked it in distilled water.
This morning it only measured a measly 145ppm which I feel is substantially low for the stage of flower they are in. Shouldn't it be something closer to 800-1100ppm??

I know organic soil growing tends to make these measurements more difficult to obtain, and that the goal is to let the microbes flourish to consume the ferts to convert them into usable elements for the plants. Conflicting info there as well though, as Buildasoil claims the best way is to start with everything you need in your blend (hot soil), cool it to break down stuff and grow out microbes, and then use that as the bottom 1/3rd of the grow medium.

Others simply mix together Gaia green living soil and add in their nutrients and just go to town, with nice results and hardly ever a deficiency from what i can tell.

Y

yourtreeshugger

As well the Grape jelly is getting worse now with some slight interveinal yellowing, and after repotting last week no less into fresh soil with some added nutes of the 4-9-3 and castings.

Y

yourtreeshugger

Bump... Got a ppm reading of 4500 from the soil runoff on one of my new grape jelly fems in a 1.5g pot.
Watered once with some diluted mix of RO and filtered tap and the new outflow was 3000ppm...

Read somewhere that organics will give you these crazy high ppm runoff numbers so it's not enitrely a bad thing but maybe a bit high?

Any info is greatly appreciated.. thanks everyone

Top Bottom