Ph Keeps Rising In Ez Clone Tub

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jinxjj

So a friend of mine has a rather large EZ clone tub which holds something like 70 cuttings(i have a smaller version). He said hes been having a problem where the pH keeps slowing rising after a couple days. Any ideas why this would be happening? Trying to figure this out before i have to use mine so i don't run into the same problem.

Only things i can think of is there is something in the impeller/pump causing it to slowly rise or maybe because the water is being misted that somehow is affecting pH?

Any ideas?

J

jinxjj

Thats all well and good but WHY? Is the pH down stuff evaporating? Is the water constantly trying to get back to the pH it was originally at? Looking for the details behind the phenomenon, not trying to be a dick. :)

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Plants are drinking the nutrients out of the water, which is changing the PH. They will drink at different rates depending on what they need, so you will have a non linear adjustment schedule, IME.

J

jinxjj

Plants are drinking the nutrients out of the water, which is changing the PH. They will drink at different rates depending on what they need, so you will have a non linear adjustment schedule, IME.

What about distilled water? That should technically be "pure" and not have any nutrients in the water. Does this still happen with distilled water or only tap since it has dissolved minerals and whatnot...

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Can't say unfortunately. I Have experience with nutrient reservoirs, never had just plain ol distilled in them. There was always a PH swing though for me.

lollipopman

lollipopman

Temperature of the water. Say u start at 5.8 with temp 68 next day ph will be 6.9 at 75degrees

J

jinxjj

Just to clarify, i am talking about straight water sitting in a aerating cloning tub. No nutes, just plain tap water. Temp is kept constant around 80* with a fish tank heater. The heater is titanium if that would have any effects.....

So far i don't see any definitive cause or reasons...

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Right. My bad, I can't tell you why exactly. But in that case I wouldn't be adjusting at all because ph does't matter without roots. Curious about that ph swing as well...

J

jinxjj

Well i've been told to run the clone tub water with a lower pH (5.5) because clones like it to be a little acidic. Is that correct?

Appreciate all the input so far!!!!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Well i've been told to run the clone tub water with a lower pH (5.5) because clones like it to be a little acidic. Is that correct?

Appreciate all the input so far!!!!
Jinxjj that's pretty good advise. Throw some aloe juice or powder in there and u will kill it. Roots busting out everyplace. The rising of pH is caused by all types of things. Over time it's natural for the pH to rise and u have to readjust. Not the biggest deal but I'd check and adjust every three days or so. If u can't find the right aloe there are a million root products out there like rapid start or roots xl to name a couple that will shorten rooting times. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom