pH of MEDIA WILL NOT DROP! : (

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

What's up farmers,

I need some advice..

I am running 4x8 beds of a peat mix I picked up from my local hydro store called 'Mega Roots' which was sourced from a local landscape company making 'cannabis' specific mixes.

Anyways...

I've had some stunted growth an yellowing which I believe is attributed to a pH issue.

In one room I DO NOT have drains so I could only run a soil pH test and I did. Using bottled water with a pH of 7.0 and a 5:1 dilution rate of water and peat my pen read 6.6. pH right out of the bag seems to be around 6.3 and I water with a reading of 5.9-6.2.

In another room I have drains and have ALSO done a soil test. When watering with a pH of 5.8 my runoff is consistently neutral (7.0)! wtf. My soil test also put me at 6.6-6.7 pH!

Initially I figured the company added TOO much dolomite but as I stated out of the bag it's reading 6.3.

Why is my pH rising, how can i correct it and what would be the accurate pH of my soil (neutral or 6.6)?

Thanks guys!

GL

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Did you add any bennies, sometimes their population gets out of wack and can raise your pH. JK

Sure did...I've been adding allot lately to help green my plants back in... You might be on to something my friend, thanks

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If there's CaMgCO3 in there (dolomite lime), then that's going to go a long way toward keeping the media pH buffered upward. More peat can help counteract that as well.

Jboys3

Jboys3

Are you checking your ph level BEFORE you add your nutrients? If not, you should be.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

If there's CaMgCO3 in there (dolomite lime), then that's going to go a long way toward keeping the media pH buffered upward. More peat can help counteract that as well.

Are you checking your ph level BEFORE you add your nutrients? If not, you should be.

At this point im fairly certain the pH issue has to do with what jalisco kid mentioned, I have been running concentrated tea on a regular bases.

There is not dolomite in the mix, i found out yesterday. And the pH of the peat out of the bag is 6.3.

I watered today at 5.7 and the runoff was 6.7 so it's coming down(from neutral). Going to back away from teas for a week or two and get them on a steady diet of floranova bloom.

My pH from my filter's is in the 8's. I add Earth Juice's organic pH down until it's around 6.5 then I add my nutes and/or bennies. This usually brings it down to 6.1-6.2 and I slowly add more pH down until I'm under 6.

In the room that does not have drains I'm running OG and I'm starting to think i'm lacking cal/mag. Bought some today will apply ASAP.

Thanks for the help!

M

Motherhugger

let us know what happens!!

At this point im fairly certain the pH issue has to do with what jalisco kid mentioned, I have been running concentrated tea on a regular bases.

There is not dolomite in the mix, i found out yesterday. And the pH of the peat out of the bag is 6.3.

I watered today at 5.7 and the runoff was 6.7 so it's coming down(from neutral). Going to back away from teas for a week or two and get them on a steady diet of floranova bloom.

My pH from my filter's is in the 8's. I add Earth Juice's organic pH down until it's around 6.5 then I add my nutes and/or bennies. This usually brings it down to 6.1-6.2 and I slowly add more pH down until I'm under 6.

In the room that does not have drains I'm running OG and I'm starting to think i'm lacking cal/mag. Bought some today will apply ASAP.

Thanks for the help!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

The runoff is still around 6.6-6.7 and I am 4 weeks in. I am feeding Jack's 3-2-1 at a pH of 5.6-5.8 and the plant's are showing NO deficiencies... I've stopped worrying about the runoff but will be changing media's next round.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I am currently 50 Days in and the plants still look good, swelling nicely..

However, I have been without a PPM pen and just bought one. So here are today's readings:
pH In: 5.7
ppm In: 770

Tb1 pH out 6.6
ppm out: 1800
Tb2 pH out: 7.0
ppm out:1700
WTF....
As a reminder, I am in a Peat mix and have not added ANY teas, organics, or scratched anything into the beds.
Currently feeding: Jack's 2-1-.5 and 5 TSP of Powder Kool Bloom

Any Ideas?

Top Bottom