Ph problem in soil

• Thread starter Wesmoke2joints
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

Hey guys, with some advise I checked the ph in my soil and got a reading of about 8-8.4 and my water is right about 8. I know for the water I can get some ph down. Will that lower the soil ph too when I water or what do you guys do to lower your Soil PH? I saw some options on amazon but not sure what's best and has less chance of screwing it up. Thanks everyone you guys rock

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey guys, with some advise I checked the ph in my soil and got a reading of about 8-8.4 and my water is right about 8. I know for the water I can get some ph down. Will that lower the soil ph too when I water or what do you guys do to lower your Soil PH? I saw some options on amazon but not sure what's best and has less chance of screwing it up. Thanks everyone you guys rock
Not really able to lower it with traditional PH down... I may suggest scratching in some peatmoss to help bring it down... @oldskol4evr can prob answer this

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Not really able to lower is with tradition PH down... I may suggest scratching in some peatmoss to help bring it down... @oldskol4evr can prob answer this
your right bro ,cut it with peat moss,my question is do you have drainage? lack of drainage can raise the soil ph from high levels of minerals build up,are you building soil are trying to fix a plant in growth?also and main thing are you sure your meter is correct,i can see water being 8,but soil at 8 to 8.5 isnt really gonna grow thing well ,at least not reg things like flowers and bushes ,now acidic plants thrive in as low as 5 ph for blueberries

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

your right bro ,cut it with peat moss,my question is do you have drainage? lack of drainage can raise the soil ph from high levels of minerals build up,are you building soil are trying to fix a plant in growth?also and main thing are you sure your meter is correct,i can see water being 8,but soil at 8 to 8.5 isnt really gonna grow thing well ,at least not reg things like flowers and bushes ,now acidic plants thrive in as low as 5 ph for blueberries
Sorry for book. Just planted my plants a week ago, started having issues right away. Mixed in good grow shop soil with the native, dug down to the pan. Have others in raised beds where I did the same thing. Not 100% sure the reading was right. The meter I bought says one thing the test I did with a pen says another. I did 2 parts distilled water, 1 part soil. Mixed well and let sit for 30 min and that's what i got. Pic of meter reading in one of the raised beds. It's been a roller coaster. Not the tips of the leaves are curled and their some brown spots. Leaves started yellowing so I added nutrients, way under the recommended to make sure I didnt make things worse. Did 1 tsp per gallon on sunday, nothing monday, then 1tsp per gallon Wednesday caused they started to droop again, I know I watered too much, then just water yesterday, nothing today. All of this before I had a moisture meter, now I do and realize I gave too much water. Im gonnaleave them alone for tomorrow too.
20200618 101753
20200618 101753
20200618 101952
I'm learning, slowly. Didn't know there was so much to watch out for, boy was I ignorant lol. Thanks again everyone they would be dead already without you.

20200618 101605
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Sorry for book. Just planted my plants a week ago, started having issues right away. Mixed in good grow shop soil with the native, dug down to the pan. Have others in raised beds where I did the same thing. Not 100% sure the reading was right. The meter I bought says one thing the test I did with a pen says another. I did 2 parts distilled water, 1 part soil. Mixed well and let sit for 30 min and that's what i got. Pic of meter reading in one of the raised beds. It's been a roller coaster. Not the tips of the leaves are curled and their some brown spots. Leaves started yellowing so I added nutrients, way under the recommended to make sure I didnt make things worse. Did 1 tsp per gallon on sunday, nothing monday, then 1tsp per gallon Wednesday caused they started to droop again, I know I watered too much, then just water yesterday, nothing today. All of this before I had a moisture meter, now I do and realize I gave too much water. Im gonnaleave them alone for tomorrow too. View attachment 988203View attachment 988203View attachment 988205I'm learning, slowly. Didn't know there was so much to watch out for, boy was I ignorant lol. Thanks again everyone they would be dead already without you.
that meter right there goes in the trash mate really all it good for is the light part,just my opinion,but you will find out,your slurry test sounds right,sounds like you did it right,did you check your pen in solution first to see if it was acurite?those plants look good ,but also show you made a mistake.
why not control your feed rates,instead of a spoon here and there measure it out by ec or ppm ,lot less chance of over or under feeding and stops a lot of problems

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

Went back and checked my notes I said it wrong. The water was 8.4, the soil went from 7.7 and settled at 7.5 which was pretty right on what the meter said. The pic was from the raised garden and I didnt test that spil. Sorry for the mistake

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Went back and checked my notes I said it wrong. The water was 8.4, the soil went from 7.7 and settled at 7.5 which was pretty right on what the meter said. The pic was from the raised garden and I didnt test that spil. Sorry for the mistake
Yeah still high but the meter should be ok then

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

7.5 is still to high in my book but some can grow in it,depends really on your water,i hear folks say on difrent forums and on this one for that matter ,using 9.ph water,im like i wouldnt even drink that shit

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

didnt you say you just transplanted into that raised bed?
Yes, a week ago. That's when I started having issues, a couple in raised beds and I have one in the ground, I mixed good soil in all spots. The ok ne in the ground is having more issue then the raised beds. The raised beds have been drainage for sure. Trying to address everything that's not right, try to knock out some symtoms

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

For the mos
that meter right there goes in the trash mate really all it good for is the light part,just my opinion,but you will find out,your slurry test sounds right,sounds like you did it right,did you check your pen in solution first to see if it was acurite?those plants look good ,but also show you made a mistake.
why not control your feed rates,instead of a spoon here and there measure it out by ec or ppm ,lot less chance of over or under feeding and stops a lot of problems
I mainly got it For the moisture feature. But it was dead on when compared to the other PH test.

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

I only fed it that way cause it was having issues. Someone on here suggested I cut it down to start but yeah I should have upped the dose, didnt give it enough nitrogen. Letting it dry out then I'm gonna give it a tablespoon per gallon for the next feed

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Measure the soil, and adjust the soil, not the water. Get one of the soil test kits to be precise, or get the 12 dollar meter from Home depot. Measure the soil after you water, after the water has set for a bit. If you use the meter, wait for at least five minutes before you read it.

Assuming you need to lower pH, get some aluminum sulphate, or iron sulphate from the local garden store, Home depot has it. Apply moderately, water it in, then do your normal cycle twice, measure your soil wet, apply again, if needed, half as much, repeat, reducing the amount if you have made progress. Slow is better than fast.

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

Measure the soil, and adjust the soil, not the water. Get one of the soil test kits to be precise, or get the 12 dollar meter from Home depot. Measure the soil after you water, after the water has set for a bit. If you use the meter, wait for at least five minutes before you read it.

Assuming you need to lower pH, get some aluminum sulphate, or iron sulphate from the local garden store, Home depot has it. Apply moderately, water it in, then do your normal cycle twice, measure your soil wet, apply again, if needed, half as much, repeat, reducing the amount if you have made progress. Slow is better than fast.
Thanks for the advise. I thought I would want to have the water ph good too but I guess The sulphate will take care of the ph in the water too, might be easier to get it down just tackling the soil aspect.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yes, a week ago. That's when I started having issues, a couple in raised beds and I have one in the ground, I mixed good soil in all spots. The ok ne in the ground is having more issue then the raised beds. The raised beds have been drainage for sure. Trying to address everything that's not right, try to knock out some symtoms
what was growing were you dug up the soil? like clover or grass/weeds and such?
was the soil compacted and or anerobic?

Wesmoke2joints

Wesmoke2joints

what was growing were you dug up the soil? like clover or grass/weeds and such?
was the soil compacted and or anerobic?
Nothing was growing there before it was just dry dirt where the raised beds were, the other spot was just weeds basically. I dug all areas up we'd with a shovel and mixed it good soil. Next step Getting some aluminum sulphate to mix in to lower ph

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Nothing was growing there before it was just dry dirt where the raised beds were, the other spot was just weeds basically. I dug all areas up we'd with a shovel and mixed it good soil. Next step Getting some aluminum sulphate to mix in to lower ph
i would mix it 1:1 with peat ,then water it in ,check in a few days see what it is,the sulphate can be toxic if you over do it,reason i asked what was there ,was if it had clover the soil was acidic,being bare ,could indicate dumped salts on the spot,if there were trees there and they flurish the soil is nuetral,to alkaline the tree wont grow,just old myths some may say,but has worked many time gorrila growing in the forest for me,i look for a spot with clover and water source near on the south west side of a hill.anyway cant help but think your meter is wrong,that be my best guess,soil at 7.5 cut with peat and added vermiculite and or perlite to help with drainage,make hole a good size were the drainage will be away from the plant

Reactions: Ina
Top Bottom