pH rising with just nutes in a bucket

• Thread starter Noobster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Noobster

Noobster

I'm using hydroponics. I sat 2gl of Nute mix in a bucket by itself and over 2hrs the pH went from 5.5 to 6.0. When I have the system in full operation, meaning bubbler, chiller and such it rises a bit faster. Is this normal?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm using hydroponics. I sat 2gl of Nute mix in a bucket by itself and over 2hrs the pH went from 5.5 to 6.0. When I have the system in full operation, meaning bubbler, chiller and such it rises a bit faster. Is this normal?
Water source ?and how much of what nutrients added?

If it's tap roughly .4 can be due to the off gassing of co2 that's built up in the supply since its a closed system under pressure.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Distilled water. pHperfect 2-2-1. Was told by customer service to add just 1ml of boom till later stage.
Yeah don't ph adjust that at all... absolutely never. If it's 5.5 - 6.3 then just leave it alone, that's absolutely fine. This line is not like other nutrients, if the PH goes to far out then do a res change and that's it. I would also advise not using other additives with it including cal mag but that's your choice.

Ppm must be kept over 400 in order for it to adequately control PH. 400-800 is a pretty good range to be at.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was told that optimum range is 5.5-5.8 and that 6.2 is for coco
Ppm is 160 and no Cal mag. The change to Rock wool shocked them but they've bounced back.
You were told absolutely right... only one problem. That's for any other nutrient besides PH perfect. Never used it, never will, hate that shit with a passion... if you use it as I said you should have no issues and many do well like that. But if ya wanna tinker just a heads up on that.

Hydro I run 5 6-6.1 but that's just me.

Noobster

Noobster

I would love not to have to check it every 6hrs. Not enough time in the budget for automated system, unfortunately. I figured 6.0 is the highest I'm willing to let it get to. Which would give the 9 hrs I need to monitor it.

workngrow

workngrow

2gal just isnt a lot of volume. Any change or fluctuation at volume that low is going to dramatically impact the variables.

Noobster

Noobster

I had 3-5gl buckets going. I just sat it in a bucket to see how fast it rises. My other issue is mold on top of rock wool or is that second issue for another post?

Noobster

Noobster

Aqua man. After doing a little research, u r correct at a range of 5.6-6.2. forgive me my transgressions lol

workngrow

workngrow

I had 3-5gl buckets going. I just sat it in a bucket to see how fast it rises. My other issue is mold on top of rock wool or is that second issue for another post?
Could be that the rockwool is too wet while exposed to light and air over time. I tend to let the surface of mine dry out before rewatering the seedling. Havent had mold issues once its covered in clay.

workngrow

workngrow

As an added note when I'm germinating doing seedlings I generally don't top water a lot. The rockwool will suck water in from the tray and you want the roots to seek the water out below the rockwool.

I read somewhere that root growth will chase after available water and this is necessary for healthy growth.

This way the bottom of the tray dries out. The top of the cube isn't oversaturated and the lower/inner parts stay moist.

Noobster

Noobster

I have the plastic that was wrapped around it, covered the top. Is too much a bad thing? Right now it's just a dusting of algea

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have the plastic that was wrapped around it, covered the top. Is too much a bad thing? Right now it's just a dusting of algea
It will eat a tiny amount of nitrogen it can affect top feed it it get unruly. When the plants shade the blocks it will die back and could leave food for bacteria. Depending on the type it can be manually peeked off pretty easy. If it's green slime algae you will need to scrape it whereas if its green hair algae it should peel off very easy.

Noobster

Noobster

I'm hoping by covering it it will slow the growth. If it gets too bad I'll mix the paroxide solution. Keeping in mind to cover vegetation. Lowering the humidity to 50%

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm hoping by covering it it will slow the growth. If it gets too bad I'll mix the paroxide solution. Keeping in mind not cover vegetation. Lowering the humidity to 50%
Just cover so thw light does hit the blocks. Algae needs light.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

I had a similar problem when I first started dwc. I started collecting rainwater and once I started using that it honestly helped stabilize the ph. When I first started and used tap water the ph would always climb back up to like 8 everyday and adjusted as needed but I found with the rainwater if anything it usually drops slightly but nothing crazy. If it's between 5.5 and 6.5 I don't touch it for the most part. I always watch my plants to see how they respond to different ph numbers and go from there. But the rainwater is the way to go If your not already doing it. My rw is always around 6 ph

Latest posts

Top Bottom