pH rising with just nutes in a bucket

• Thread starter Noobster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I had a similar problem when I first started dwc. I started collecting rainwater and once I started using that it honestly helped stabilize the ph. When I first started and used tap water the ph would always climb back up to like 8 everyday and adjusted as needed but I found with the rainwater if anything it usually drops slightly but nothing crazy. If it's between 5.5 and 6.5 I don't touch it for the most part. I always watch my plants to see how they respond to different ph numbers and go from there. But the rainwater is the way to go If your not already doing it. My rw is always around 6 ph
Rainwater has almost no alkalinity.... pH is a result. When talking about pH stability it's alkalinity and acid ratios and concentration. There is no possible way rainwater provides a more stable PH.

I will assume what happened was you were using a citric acid which reacts with bicarbonate and thus gives extremely poor stability. Or vinegar, lemon juice.

I mean it's moot in this discussion as you do NOT want to pH adjust these nutrients and they are designed for low alkalinity water but for other nutrients that you do need to adjust and have stability issues then have a read here. There is also a big difference when it comes to the media used.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Rainwater has almost no alkalinity.... pH is a result. When talking about pH stability it's alkalinity and acid ratios and concentration. There is no possible way rainwater provides a more stable PH.

I will assume what happened was you were using a citric acid which reacts with bicarbonate and thus gives extremely poor stability. Or vinegar, lemon juice.

I mean it's moot in this discussion as you do NOT want to pH adjust these nutrients and they are designed for low alkalinity water but for other nutrients that you do need to adjust and have stability issues then have a read here. There is also a big difference when it comes to the media used.

[QUOTE="Aqua Man, post: 2688040, member: 95372"] explanation.114510/[/QUOTE]
Yeah I didn't read the whole thread lol just the first post oops. Just was sharing my experience with rainwater and that I've had really good results. As far as my dwc reservoir goes I have actually been doing a 50/50 rainwater/ro water and I've personally have had a more consistent reservoir pH. Hope all is well my man . I'll have a read.

Noobster

Noobster

As much rain water as I can get. It seemed to stabalize some what. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Lock down sucks and not much else to focus on. Maybe a bad thing 😔

Latest posts

Top Bottom