PH to high in Runoff ( coco )

• Thread starter NND
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NND

NND

Hello im having trouble with the ph, i think my plants are having nutrient deficiency related to the ph being to high in my rootzone i was usually watering with PH 6.3 and TDS of 900ppm.
My medium is 50%coco 30%perlite 20%wormcastings.

Temp and RH
Lights on is 27C 50-60%
Lights off is 21C 50-60%

Then i noticed the deficiency so i testet my runoff.
I watered with ph5.9 and 900ppm the runoff was 6.6 and 1900ppm.

In order to lower both PH and PPM i stardet to water with lower PH and no nutes.

I watered 3 times since then here are the outcommes :

1. input: ph5.8 200ppm runoff: ph6.8 1800ppm
  2. input: ph5.5 200ppm runoff: ph6.9 1000ppm
  3. input: ph5.1 200ppm runoff: ph7.0 1800ppm
So as you can see its really weird no matter how much i lower the input ph the runoff ph still raises.
Has anyone ever seen that or even heard of it ?
I dont really know what to do.
Thanks, Happy Growing 🙂

Some pictures:

Ph to high in runoff  coco
Ph to high in runoff  coco 2
Ph to high in runoff  coco 3
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

What nutrients? How often are you feeding? Tap or RO water? What kind of ph meter are you using?

SecretGardener

SecretGardener

Ignore Run-Off pH​

Although it is critical to adjust the pH of the inflow, you should not be concerned with the pH of the run-off water. Your only concern with pH is always providing nutrient solution (inflow) that is in the appropriate range. Many growers make the bad decision to provide nutrient solution that is outside of the acceptable range in a misguided attempt to correct run-off pH values. This can destabilize the pH of the nutrient solution in the root zone and make nutrients unavailable. To avoid this common pitfall, simply ignore the pH of the run-off.

NND

NND

What nutrients? How often are you feeding? Tap or RO water? What kind of ph meter are you using?
Remo nutrients full line then once a week i add enzymes.
I water them every other day, so water-none-water and so on ..
Ive ben told to water it daily so i may switch to that in the future.
I use tap water it comes in at around 250ppm.
I got a cheap amazon pen for 30bugs.

NND

NND

Ignore Run-Off pH​

Although it is critical to adjust the pH of the inflow, you should not be concerned with the pH of the run-off water. Your only concern with pH is always providing nutrient solution (inflow) that is in the appropriate range. Many growers make the bad decision to provide nutrient solution that is outside of the acceptable range in a misguided attempt to correct run-off pH values. This can destabilize the pH of the nutrient solution in the root zone and make nutrients unavailable. To avoid this common pitfall, simply ignore the pH of the run-off.
Thank you for your advise, are you also using coco ?
i just looked at your plants and they look really nice 👍😁

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

I'd recommend getting a bluelab. Makes a world of difference for PH. Cheap ones are always shit.
The PH drops if you can find them will be more accurate than the cheap pen (more than likely) but won't give you an exact reading

chemistry

chemistry

Is that a drip tray your pots are on, and are the plants above the tray so they can drip? Does the tray have drainage to allow the spent nuits to escape? If not, your plants will suck up the excess nuits, and your PPM's will go through the roof in your pots. I use Canna nuits, and at 900ppm my plants would sizzle, I run at 700/750ppm, and still get the odd bit of tip burn. lol

totamus

totamus

I bought one of those inexpensive pens from amazon also. It caused me to think my ph was wrong when it really wasn't. I nearly killed that plant by trying to help it...

Once I realized that my cheap ph pen was the problem, I bought a bluelab ph pen for adjusting my solution for feeding/watering and probe type pen from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XZ7P893/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for checking the soil. No runoff needed with the pen. I did not want to invest $160 (combined cost for both pens), but I did because it was the only way to ensure I had the ph under control. Most of us start with cheap pens and quickly move on....

Be sure to check your tap water ph. At my home, tap water is ph 8.

NND

NND

Is that a drip tray your pots are on, and are the plants above the tray so they can drip? Does the tray have drainage to allow the spent nuits to escape? If not, your plants will suck up the excess nuits, and your PPM's will go through the roof in your pots. I use Canna nuits, and at 900ppm my plants would sizzle, I run at 700/750ppm, and still get the odd bit of tip burn. lol
Yes the tray is only to catch the runoff, the pots are elevated ( about 2cm )
I use a small pump to remove the runoff right after watering.

NND

NND

I bought one of those inexpensive pens from amazon also. It caused me to think my ph was wrong when it really wasn't. I nearly killed that plant by trying to help it...

Once I realized that my cheap ph pen was the problem, I bought a bluelab ph pen for adjusting my solution for feeding/watering and probe type pen from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XZ7P893/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for checking the soil. No runoff needed with the pen. I did not want to invest $160 (combined cost for both pens), but I did because it was the only way to ensure I had the ph under control. Most of us start with cheap pens and quickly move on....

Be sure to check your tap water ph. At my home, tap water is ph 8.
Yes i think i will do the same ..
my tap water is also around 8

SecretGardener

SecretGardener

Thank you for your advise, are you also using coco ?
i just looked at your plants and they look really nice 👍😁
Yes, I use coco. I also had a cheap PH pen that was no help. I now use the PH test drops from General Hydroponics.

BTW... the advice to Ignore PH of the runoff is from an article I found. Not from my own research. The advice works for me.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Your not running enough through to get the ppms down..dont just go to runoff run heaps through like what your doing say 250 ppm .run some through check ppm still not down run more through till it says 700ppm ..then run through a 700ppm feed etc..dont lower ph as that wont fix it and always feed every watering as you can fuck up the ph in the rhizosphere and cause more problems. 🖒

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I agree with madmax, I had similar problem this run in coco only my runoff ph was low with higher runoff ppm. I’m running huge 10gal fabric pots and I had to run 8 gals of low nutrient water ph to 5.8 . Try and do it slow over a few hours or a day. The next day feed at half or full strength and test runoff. Also I feed daily and in flower twice a day.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Get some new coco out the bag and run some tap water through it to check the run off, image canna coco coco
When I use diffrent bagged coco most of them have stupidly hight e.c out the bag , letting pots go to dry will cause e.c in coco to rise

Top Bottom