Pharma Accountability

• Thread starter convex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
convex

convex

While flipping back and forth between local and national news, I was subject to no less than five commercials for pharma products.

Top dollar ads during prime time, telling me I absolutely need thier product; and, despite the lengthy list of adverse effects, to be sure to tell my doctor that I would like them to prescribe this new wonder drug for me.

The obvious question that popped to mind was - when did doctors lose thier ability to diagnose my issues?
I mean, they are the experts, well trained and current in advances of pharmacology. They must be current as I have waited many times for my doctor to finish consulting with door to door pharma reps resulting in delaying my appointment numerous times.

With one on one consulations with the reps I believe the doctors must be well versed in current products and thier uses. This spawns the next question - why are the pharma companies targeting me with thier adverts? Are the reps not succesful in educating the doctors?

To advertise as often as they do, in prime time slots does not come cheap and obviously is factored into the price of the drug.

Of course, without answers, questions result in more questions.

I personally require a number of prescriptions to stay healthy and alive, the retail price of these amounts to thousands a month. The price reflects the costs of research and development; as well loss of revenues when patents expire and generic competition brings the profit margin down.

Granted, these are private companies and operate with profit in mind, how else would they operate?
The question is should advertising budgets come on the backs of the sick and in-firmed?

My answer is a resounding NO!

In as much as I support free enterprise and do not relish government intervention in free enterprise, the fact of the matter is that they already do when it comes to pharma.

Drug scheduling, standards, trials, methodologies and patents are already being controlled by various government agencies. Other commercial drugs such as tobacco and alcohol have, for the most part been regulated. Advertising standards and profit per unit for these products are well regulated in most countries. Is it not time for the same to apply to pharma?

One of my thirteen prescriptions alone is $850 for a 30 day supply - how much of this is going to television adverts?
What percentage goes to pay door to door reps that are apparantly ineffective as pharma still feels it is necessary to target ME in adverts and ask that I tell my doctor that this is the correct drug for me?

I am a strong believer in empowering oneself in ones treatment, discussing options and approach with my care provider. But,at what cost?

With or without the adverts I will still continue to discuss my issues with my care providers, and defer to their wisdom over pharma ads; as will the majority of their targeted ad audience.

This leads to more questions;
Do these ads actually generate revenue?
What percentage of patients actually approach thier doctors stating the pharma commercial sent me?
How many of these had a condition that is benefited from such a product and how many were sent away relieved to find their ad induced self diagnosis was incorrect?
What is the return on the advertising costs; does a 10 million dollar ad budget result in 10 million + 1 dollars profit of said product?
What is the timeline on return - product sales increase immediately following the ad? A week after? Perhaps a month?? A year? Ever???

With ever increasing profits, an aging population and a recession bound economy should we as patients be paying for super bowl ads?

The time for accountability has come and as consumers to these companies we should start demanding it now!

P

poina

Being in the US, what I ask is why do those same pills cost much less outside? I just retired and to carry over cobra for myself 57, wife and 2 kids, was 1800/mo. So now I have no health insurance and at the age where shit can go seriously wrong.

As far as the ads are concerned, I believe that is all tax deductible, now throw in good old American style consumerism and viola, money in the bank.

Don't forget, every congressman is in the 200,000+ range from big pharma. This is while medicare/medicaid will be bankrupt by 2016.

While I too used to believe private enterprise works better in the free market, the mistakes of this current financial debacle have cured me of that fallacy.

First we kill all the lawyers.......

convex

convex

Well I am in Canada, and although we have healthcare, prescriptions are NOT part of it.

Despite the belief that we have cheaper drugs, one must also factor in the difference in cost of living, wages and in most cases exchange rates as most are manufactured in US.

Might be cheaper for Americans to buy thier drugs here, but in Canadian dollars they are still too damned expensive and I KNOW a great part of that is directly attributed to marketing campaigns.

As stated earlier, one script alone is $850 a month, my disability is only $950 per month. Makes it hard to pay the heating bill when it is -30 outside.

thank God Mrs. C. is still working.

Top Bottom