yucca_small.jpg
b_vit_small.jpg
calcium_small.jpg
fulvic_small.jpg
amino_small.jpg
cane_small.jpg

Bigger Flowers and Fruits with Phosphorus
Increased Roots & Nutrient Uptake
Most base nutrients come in a grow formula and a bloom formula. A good grow formula is proportionally higher in nitrogen, but the best bloom formulas are proportionally higher in phosphorus and potassium. Phosphorus is needed throughout the life of the plant, but it is particularly beneficial during the early rooting stage and during fruit and flower production.

Mono-potassium phosphate and mono-ammonium phosphate (MAP) are water soluble forms of phosphorus. Adding a little extra MAP to a nutrient formula during the first couple weeks of vegetative growth can have a positive effect on rooting. The additional phosphorus stimulates root production, and the ammonium is assimilated directly through the developing roots. Laboratory tests have shown as much as a 20% increase in root mass with nutrient formulas augmented with a moderate increase of MAP during the early vegetative growth stage.

Early Fruiting & Flower Set
Another key stage for extra phosphorus application is during the fruiting and flowering stage. During the transition from grow to bloom, a great deal of energy is diverted to flower production. So extra phosphorus helps promote the development of additional flowering sites, especially during the early stages of flower production. During heavy fruit and flower production, the plants continue to need higher levels of phosphorus to help provide energy for the developing fruit, but higher levels of potassium are also important for increased carbohydrate metabolism. Generally speaking, phosphorus and potassium are both important during the fruiting and flowering stage, but increased phosphorus is particularly beneficial during the early generative stage, while increased potassium is particularly beneficial during the final stages of fruit and flower production.

Phosphorus Energy Element for Plants
Phosphorus is the energy element. It is part of a molecule called ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which serves as the energy currency of the plant.

Energy from photosynthesis and respiration is temporarily stored in the high-energy phosphate bonds, then released to activate chemical reactions in the plant. If a plant develops a phosphorus deficiency, growth is stunted and quality and yield is decreased.

Phosphorus Deficiencies & Toxicities
Phosphorus uptake is also temperature dependant. If the nutrient solution is too cold, plants won’t take up adequate phosphorus, and the stems and undersides of the leaves may even start to turn purple. On the other hand, it is also possible for plants to develop a phosphorus toxicity. If extra phosphorus starts to build up in the reservoir, the plants could take up too much phosphorus all at once. There are no direct symptoms of phosphorus toxicity, but phosphorus toxicity shows up first as a zinc deficiency, then as an iron or magnesium deficiency.

So when using extra phosphorus, carefully follow dosing directions and try to make sure the nutrient solution stays above 58 degrees F. For best results, maintain the nutrient temperature between 68-75 degrees F.

Copyright 2013
Harley Smith

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

NICE! I love learning about the individual elements and how they are used by our green homies! (Plants, not aliens. Idk bout you but I dont want those lanky fingers probing anywhere around my... self lol) Are you going to do more on the other elements?

There is one thing I feel needs to be added, and thats the amount of phosphorous we're putting down vs the amount the plants take up. Whenever I hear about P in the plant I think about how shocked I was the time I heard someone say that over half the phosphorous we put down never gets to the plant. Then I read about a study in done in '09 in Australia that stated 80% of the phosphorous we put down never gets to the plants we are trying to feed it to.

There's a company called Mammoth Microbes that makes a microbial product called Mammoth P. They've basically isolated the microbe that can take that P which is locked up and free it, making it available to the plant. I haven't used it through flowering yet so I can't say I personally have seen the difference in my buds, but there are alot of people in the DGC (Dude Grows Crew) that are using it with great results. There are plenty of Side by sides on youtube and stuff as well.

Here's the Mammoth Microbes Youtube Channel if anyone wants to check em out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxrrf4K3LFxMH4teK8N1ppA/feed

If you'r into grow podcasts I would also check out https://www.dudegrows.com/
It's podcast/youtube video show where they answer questions that people post on the site. It's free to sign up if you want to ask any questions, but you can also find the video's on youtube and the audio only podcast on Soundcloud, Itunes, and probably some other places in internet-land.

JMcG

JMcG

Yeah that Mammoth P sounds like a winner. The Recharge microbial product put together by Scotty on Dude Grows is also getting some great reviews.
Gonna try coco with Recharge and a Mammoth P back on this go round... should be a fun project after living in a UC world for awhile. Bring on the fla- vah!

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Yeah that Mammoth P sounds like a winner. The Recharge microbial product put together by Scotty on Dude Grows is also getting some great reviews.
Gonna try coco with Recharge and a Mammoth P back on this go round... should be a fun project after living in a UC world for awhile. Bring on the fla- vah!
Recharge is some good shit, too. Along with Mammoth P, the two make a great team. I think the only Fungal/Bacterial product that comes anywhere near recharge is Oregonism XL from Roots Organics, I usually alternate between the two. One of the things I think is cool about recharge is knowing that the guy behind the product made it with growing dank cannabis in mind. It's not like some products that say stuff like 'increase the size of your fruit by X%'

Top Bottom