Pick Your Poison: Torrential Rain Or Limited Sunlight

• Thread starter NHWhites
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NHWhites

NHWhites

So it's hurricane season and I don't have a greenhouse, nor was I able to build anything this weekend before any storms hit. I have two options: leave the girls exposed to the rain and wind or keep them under my deck where they will get some morning light and general ambient outdoor (as much as there is during a storm). If they're under my deck, I can protect them from the elements. As I get closer to harvest and the girls are packing on the weight, I want to avoid rot and mildew. Suggestions?

NHWhites

NHWhites

5 hours might be tough. I'm going to try and rig something up tonight so they're safe under the deck as I feel that's the best option. I can also have a couple fans going as well

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Someone around here telling ppl not to tarp up, but to let it get rained on and let the wind flow through. That will guarantee bud rot. The only thing you might have issue with from tarping is PM from lack of circulation and humidity drop and spikes. The fan will help substantially.
Best of luck, I'm tarped up and in a natural breezeway in between the house and fence.

fatawa

fatawa

Idk how tall yur deck is but id stake out 4-5ft away from deck and buy see thru plastic.just as an awning.like everyone else already said DO NOT prevent air circulation.specialy so late n flip

NHWhites

NHWhites

Idk how tall yur deck is but id stake out 4-5ft away from deck and buy see thru plastic.just as an awning.like everyone else already said DO NOT prevent air circulation.specialy so late n flip
Underneath is 7-8 feet tall. I bought 6mil plastic that I'm going to staple the underside and between posts to prevent rain. I'm going to leave a couple feet underneath the plastic and not seal the top so there should be ample airflow

BudBogart

BudBogart

Someone around here telling ppl not to tarp up, but to let it get rained on and let the wind flow through. That will guarantee bud rot. The only thing you might have issue with from tarping is PM from lack of circulation and humidity drop and spikes. The fan will help substantially.
Best of luck, I'm tarped up and in a natural breezeway in between the house and fence.

That would be me, and to suggest I am guaranteeing bud rot with my suggestion is offensive. You can check out the grow on my signature and follow the grow thru some hella storms. One spot of bud rot on one bud...don't knock stuff you don't know about.
People that put up emergency plastic before a storm are often disappointed when the protection causes more damage than good.

fatawa

fatawa

That would be me, and to suggest I am guaranteeing bud rot with my suggestion is offensive. You can check out the grow on my signature and follow the grow thru some hella storms. One spot of bud rot on one bud...don't knock stuff you don't know about.
People that put up emergency plastic before a storm are often disappointed when the protection causes more damage than good.
like the rest of info wen we try guiding people is kinda relevant cuz all the differnt climates we r n,it may wrk either way/or fail either way.i know n my climate what mirrorzen said would ring true,i hav a cooler climate and if i let rain just hit it,it wouldnt dry out.im getting low 70's day/40's at night already.would b like trying to dry clothes on a closeline n a rain storm.ha

fatawa

fatawa

Underneath is 7-8 feet tall. I bought 6mil plastic that I'm going to staple the underside and between posts to prevent rain. I'm going to leave a couple feet underneath the plastic and not seal the top so there should be ample airflow
id still do the stake thing but thats just my method of madness.7ft is perfect.get 4ft stakes,drive then n 6ft away from deck flooring,staple plastic to deck flooring-stakes(leaving both sides open).id insure that 5hrs of sun,wind threw sides.but that my climate.unfortuantly we can only guide u,without one of us there,and with a growing season n that climate....just suggestions.hope it wrks out for u.it wud b bullshit loosing them bitches last 2wks of there lives.another thing that will breed rot n my area is any buds close to ground w/rain...no bueno...cold nights,dew n morning,rain during day....u can imagine

NHWhites

NHWhites

id still do the stake thing but thats just my method of madness.7ft is perfect.get 4ft stakes,drive then n 6ft away from deck flooring,staple plastic to deck flooring-stakes(leaving both sides open).id insure that 5hrs of sun,wind threw sides.but that my climate.unfortuantly we can only guide u,without one of us there,and with a growing season n that climate....just suggestions.hope it wrks out for u.it wud b bullshit loosing them bitches last 2wks of there lives.another thing that will breed rot n my area is any buds close to ground w/rain...no bueno...cold nights,dew n morning,rain during day....u can imagine
Yeah that's what I'm dealing with too. I wasn't able to get anything up last night unfortunately. We'll see how it works out. I have deck items above hopefully blocking some rain and a big box fan blowing underneath

fatawa

fatawa

Yeah that's what I'm dealing with too. I wasn't able to get anything up last night unfortunately. We'll see how it works out. I have deck items above hopefully blocking some rain and a big box fan blowing underneath
just keep it windy homie.b safe with electric/rain also.thats y i suggestd wat i did.let mothernature b yur fan.no matter how u attack it throw us some pics after u r situated so we all kno without a doubt of what were giving tips on.

NHWhites

NHWhites

just keep it windy homie.b safe with electric/rain also.thats y i suggestd wat i did.let mothernature b yur fan.no matter how u attack it throw us some pics after u r situated so we all kno without a doubt of what were giving tips on.
I'll snap some tonight when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions. I do like your staked out canopy idea but I need to be careful about leaving my girls exposed to others since they're supposed to be in a locked and secured area. It's bs since I have different types of flowers growing in my front yard, peonies and such

fatawa

fatawa

I'll snap some tonight when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions. I do like your staked out canopy idea but I need to be careful about leaving my girls exposed to others since they're supposed to be in a locked and secured area. It's bs since I have different types of flowers growing in my front yard, peonies and such
i hear ya.we all got rules..lmao.def send those pics tho.best info from others will come after that

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Fatawa is right,i live in a cool climate that won't dry and would turn my bud to mush. Not my first go around in this climate.
Offended you? Good. Because its offensive to me to tell everyone in general to not cover your plants. How about YOU don't knock things you don't know about. In Cali your practice might make sense. But in the deep pnw you are guaranteeing a death sentence.
So yes if I didn't tarp up I would be GUARANTEEING botrytis.
This isn't even a discussion. Follow some large outdoor crops and see what they do and how they are killing it with little to no rot.
@redlife215 is a great example.
Ps: even a lot of growers in Cali cover.

Last edited:
BudBogart

BudBogart

Let me say this...my post about letting it rain and blow was not this post. It was directed at a post that had several plants out in the open...unlike all of the big grows I can follow...this guy did not have a plan in place for when rain hit...he was looking for last minute suggestions. So my suggestion was specific to that grower, not to the pnw or any other situation. I looked at my grow journal for last year, I spoke of getting 4 inches of rain one Saturday and rain for several days and multiple storm fronts. the journal itself takes us thru the storms and discusses the effects of the storms, feel free to learn how others approach the same situation with success.
In other years I have tried to protect the plants at the last minute and tie some tarps up as best I could. Three tarps would often cause damage when the winds got done blowing them like beach umbrellas tied to pot plants.
Maybe only those growing in the pnw should give advice on rain and wind, I just wanted to share my experience.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Let me say this...my post about letting it rain and blow was not this post. It was directed at a post that had several plants out in the open...unlike all of the big grows I can follow...this guy did not have a plan in place for when rain hit...he was looking for last minute suggestions. So my suggestion was specific to that grower, not to the pnw or any other situation. I looked at my grow journal for last year, I spoke of getting 4 inches of rain one Saturday and rain for several days and multiple storm fronts. the journal itself takes us thru the storms and discusses the effects of the storms, feel free to learn how others approach the same situation with success.
In other years I have tried to protect the plants at the last minute and tie some tarps up as best I could. Three tarps would often cause damage when the winds got done blowing them like beach umbrellas tied to pot plants.
Maybe only those growing in the pnw should give advice on rain and wind, I just wanted to share my experience.
Fair enough I will check out your journal and learn what I can.

NHWhites

NHWhites

Here's under my deck as well as some bud shots, because why not. Today wasn't too bad when I got home. The box fan was blowing on them all day and the wind cruises right under my deck sometimes as well. I added another little fan to blow from below while the box fan is tilted up to the colas. I actually scoped the trichs tonight and both are looking really cloudy with just a little bit of clear and a little bit of ambering. I just fed them yesterday or Sunday around 6am, fuck I forget. It was a lighter dose of nectar of the gods, under 500ppm. I'm going to have to start flushing on Thursday after they've had a chance to dry out a little. We have more storms coming next week, mid week. Hmm, chop a little early after just being fed or deal with more moisture. I didn't plan this well lol

below frigid

below frigid

Put the plastic on top of the deck stretched tight with something on top to hold it down.

Top Bottom