Picking high quality LED lights?

• Thread starter Emeraldhigh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Emeraldhigh

Hi, I am in the process of setting up new grow but cannot decide with the conflicting information out there about each lights quality. Can someone please give me information on the best lights??

Mars hydro fc1000w or fc8000
Flexstar matrix 860w
Spiderfarmer se1000w or se730
Fluence

- Spiderfarmer and mars hydro have very high ppfd readings but there really aren’t many reviews out there explaining overall quality

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

this is what mars did for me
img_20230403_193319901-jpg.1347513

E

Emeraldhigh

What lights you prefer bro?

See the flexstars lights, they claim to be old manufacture of luxx and also say their matrix series is exactly the same as luxx. Also Hawthorne who bought luxx still use them, so I am very tempted on using these. But mars hydro + spiderdfarmer do have better PPFD ratings. So just really struggling to decide

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

See the flexstars lights, they claim to be old manufacture of luxx and also say their matrix series is exactly the same as luxx. Also Hawthorne who bought luxx still use them, so I am very tempted on using these. But mars hydro + spiderdfarmer do have better PPFD ratings. So just really struggling to decide
well sounds like your stuck on either mars or spiderfarmer your not gonna go wrong on either choice really but i hear alot about mars hydro lights burning out ,i like the viparspectra its as big as tent and spreads the light out evenly plus it barely puts out any heat at all

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Mars hydro has shit customer service just saying. I wont buy from them ever again. 2 lights caught fire, 1 was only a couple months old and they wouldnt cover it under warranty.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

see i told you
Mars hydro has shit customer service just saying. I wont buy from them ever again. 2 lights caught fire, 1 was only a couple months old and they wouldnt cover it under warranty.

growsince79

growsince79

Hi, I am in the process of setting up new grow but cannot decide with the conflicting information out there about each lights quality. Can someone please give me information on the best lights??

Flexstar matrix 860w
Fluence

- Spiderfarmer and mars hydro have very high ppfd readings but there really aren’t many reviews out there explaining overall quality
AC infinity hands down.

O

octane567

Flexstar matrix 860w
Fluence

Although my first purchase was a HLG 350R in a 2x3(WAY TOO MUCH POWWAAAA), I highly recommend HLG's lights. I've being steadily doing research for months and although I almost pulled the trigger on a MarsHydro LED, HLG let me pull the trigger with there 20% off.

I would check out HLG's Scorpion Diablo! Add some IR/UV strips down the road and you will be one VERY happy camper with the results :)

GreenThumbGrower

GreenThumbGrower

I've been looking at upgrading my light in the 4x4. After months of research and tons of video reviews I finaly decided to go with the MedicGro smart 8. The price point was rite on during the 420 sale. Tunable spectrum, digital display, and 780 true watts for 500bucks shipped! It's on da way!

If anyone's in the market for a light upgrade I would totaly check this one out! Same or better hardware and electronics as the more expensive spider farmer, mars hydro, vivosun, or any other popular brands with a much more impressive par map and efficacy.

I'm not sponsored or anything, just putting out information

GreenThumbGrower

GreenThumbGrower

I've been looking at upgrading my light in the 4x4. After months of research and tons of video reviews I finaly decided to go with the MedicGro smart 8. The price point was rite on during the 420 sale. Tunable spectrum, digital display, and 780 true watts for 500bucks shipped! It's on da way!

If anyone's in the market for a light upgrade I would totaly check this one out! Same or better hardware and electronics as the more expensive spider farmer, mars hydro, vivosun, or any other popular brands with a much more impressive par map and efficacy.

I'm not sponsored or anything, just putting out information
I'll update with pictures and a full review when it comes in this week.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Although my first purchase was a HLG 350R in a 2x3(WAY TOO MUCH POWWAAAA), I highly recommend HLG's lights. I've being steadily doing research for months and although I almost pulled the trigger on a MarsHydro LED, HLG let me pull the trigger with there 20% off.

I would check out HLG's Scorpion Diablo! Add some IR/UV strips down the road and you will be one VERY happy camper with the results :)
All my lights are hlg’s. They produce and have been trouble. Highly recommend them.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would only go with AC Infinity lighting if I were wanting to use their whole UIS system.

The good news is their UIS Control System is something very much worthy of considering. The whole system is robust and made to work together. I'm using it currently in my AC Infinity 5 x 5. I have the 0-10v aftermarket light dongle to control my Nanolux 630w light, the 8" AC Infinity exhaust fan, and the UIS outlet with a small heater attached. I'll be adding their humidifier in May when stock becomes available.

AC Infinity products used with the UIS environmental control system is game changer at a reasonable price point ... but to get the most out of it, you need to commit to using the whole system. The good news is you can add pieces as your budget permits.

Edit: Stay away from Mars lighting.

E

Emeraldhigh

Yeah I see on another thread people saying the mars hydro have burned out aswell so I think I will definitely be avoiding them. Thanks guys and sorry to hear about your experience with them mate. The lights ain’t cheap so that is a piss take!!!

And bro I looked at the viparspectra but the biggest light I could see was 500w? And I am needing 840-1000w? So not sure if they are what I’m looking for.

I am leaning towards Spiderfarmer I think but have still seen many bad reviews on trust pilot. But also this brand sino-well manufactured LUXX and vivosun. But there’s not much information about them although Athena advise me to use them. They use Samsung 301h, Samsung 301b and osram chips and claim their matrix series is exactly the same as the LUXX pro series.

— also thank you everyone for sharing your opinions, it’s much appreciated.

O

octane567

All my lights are hlg’s. They produce and have been trouble. Highly recommend them.
*haven’t been trouble I presume? 🤭😂

I’m only having issues because this light is too powerful for this tent. I planned on upgrading my tent setup within the year and figured I could use this as a learning experience. I’m growing 2 babies from bag seed in living soil, so I’m not terribly stressed about them being males/not making it through there whole life, although that’s always the goal 😌

anyone have any move for Kind LED? My opinion is there no different than adding UV/IR to any other grow light 🙃 always wanted to experiment with a California Lightworks system too! Those adjustable spectrums seem complicated yet fun for experimenting

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah I see on another thread people saying the mars hydro have burned out aswell so I think I will definitely be avoiding them. Thanks guys and sorry to hear about your experience with them mate. The lights ain’t cheap so that is a piss take!!!

And bro I looked at the viparspectra but the biggest light I could see was 500w? And I am needing 840-1000w? So not sure if they are what I’m looking for.

I am leaning towards Spiderfarmer I think but have still seen many bad reviews on trust pilot. But also this brand sino-well manufactured LUXX and vivosun. But there’s not much information about them although Athena advise me to use them. They use Samsung 301h, Samsung 301b and osram chips and claim their matrix series is exactly the same as the LUXX pro series.

— also thank you everyone for sharing your opinions, it’s much appreciated.

I believe Viparspectra now has a 1000w fixture option ... but before we go barrelling forward with all that wattage, tell us more about the size of your space and how you intend to use it. A few years ago, the formula using 30 watts of lighting per square foot of space was a pretty good ballpark ... but newer lights with higher efficiency ratings have changed that somewhat.

One of the biggest rookie mistakes I see is running an over-sized high powered LED fixture thinking more light means bigger harvests. That's not the case. Bigger harvests come when everything together is finely tuned and sometimes to do that means turning down the wattage on your grow light.

Edit: I'm not finding an option from Viparspectra that's as large as some of the others. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use their KS5000 in a 4 x 4 ... or a pair of them in a 4 x 8. That light was made to fit a 48" x 48" profile and it seems to do it pretty well!

Last edited:
E

Emeraldhigh

I believe Viparspectra now has a 1000w fixture option ... but before we go barrelling forward with all that wattage, tell us more about the size of your space and how you intend to use it. A few years ago, the formula using 30 watts of lighting per square foot of space was a pretty good ballpark ... but newer lights with higher efficiency ratings have changed that somewhat.

One of the biggest rookie mistakes I see is running an over-sized high powered LED fixture thinking more light means bigger harvests. That's not the case. Bigger harvests come when everything together is finely tuned and sometimes to do that means turning down the wattage on your grow light.

Edit: I'm not finding an option from Viparspectra that's as large as some of the others. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use their KS5000 in a 4 x 4 ... or a pair of them in a 4 x 8. That light was made to fit a 48" x 48" profile and it seems to do it pretty well!
Thanks for your message but mate im not growing in a 4x4 tent, I have a facility and iv been growing for many years. I want more powerful lights with dimmable controls so as and when I want to I can increase power, if I was to just choose 500w lights then when I want to increase power I have to bring in more fixtures? It just seems counter productive. Increasing light intensity as the plants get stronger will push them to get the most out of themselves.

I will definitely check out the viparspectra and see if I can find a strong light though but so far no luck. Cheers mate

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks for your message but mate im not growing in a 4x4 tent, I have a facility and iv been growing for many years. I want more powerful lights with dimmable controls so as and when I want to I can increase power, if I was to just choose 500w lights then when I want to increase power I have to bring in more fixtures? It just seems counter productive. Increasing light intensity as the plants get stronger will push them to get the most out of themselves.

I will definitely check out the viparspectra and see if I can find a strong light though but so far no luck. Cheers mate

If you're growing in a facility, then maybe you would like the Grower's Choice ROI-E720. I have 2 of those in my 4 x 8. If you were to use their lighting master controller, you can get 800w out of each fixture. They are made for a 5 x 5 flower footprint. The problem is one of these fixtures runs about $1000 USD depending on where you source it from.

If you're interested in 1000w fixtures, then you might be interested in the Photontek 1000W pro. It's a beast of a light and it's cost reflects it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom