Pimped-Up WaterFarm

• Thread starter Resinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Resinator

Just wanted to share what is working fwell or me. The main reason I did this was to reduce the noise. The bubblers running on three warerfarms was creating a noticible sound. It gets louder as the water level got lower and would occasionally burp too.

This will be the third run using a pimped-up GH WaterFarm. I took out the bubblers and used very small submersible pumps instead. I also added another submersible water pump in the bottom section of the backup reservoir and ran an 1/8" hose to each waterfarm unit to provide better total system circulation.

What I gained...
- 90% quieter than the bubble up method.
- I don’t have to feed each individual unit anymore
- circulation in the backup reservoir prevents yuckk'a
- I dont get the salt buildup around the drip rings
- no more salty residue on the walls from the spit the bubble method causes

The small pumps I used did not cause any noticible heat issues in the water. There were three units each with a pump and also one in the resevoir.

The bubble method is supposed to be preferred because it oxygenates the water.. I have used both methods and did not notice any real difference. I believe the bubble up method produces a small amount of highly oxygenated water but the submersible pump moves significantly more water so the end result is similar.

I used one pump in the resovior for three waterfarm units. if more than two pumps were used you would probably need to add another feed/drain line to the resevior. My other concern about the resevoir pump is for longer term grows where the roots could grow into the drain line and constrict it, causing a backup/overflow.

Globel

Globel

what pump are you using for 1/8" the only thing I have seen is the "aqua lifter" and its not submersible.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
nice man - I always thought a pump would be better too - but figured the heat was why nobody was doing it - rock on!

globel: Im pretty sure hes not using the 1/8 air line and just hooking the pump to the riser for the drip ring

R

Resinator

it was an adjustable 15-55 gph model. paid about $5 each for them. Its about 1.5 " square. Google "submersible water fountain replacement pumps" you will find a ton to pick from. At the splitter I am also reducing the connection size from the larger output of the pump. I'm sure the output the the three units is not perfectly equal, the furthest one will have the least water but even that extra little circulation is good enough.

R

Resinator

Yes, on each WF unit the pump fits perfect into the tube leading to the drip ring. It was the right height and everything. I didn’t even have to cut the tube. Get the model with the spout coming off the top, much easier.

The small flexible tubing of questionable diameter ( 1/8" or 3/16") is leading from my backup reservoir to each unit .. that is in addition to each unit having their own pump. Each unit circulates their own water AND the reservoir pump slowly rotates the water between all the units.

The reservoir pump helps even out any nutrient imbalances between the units in case one is sucking up more nutes than the others. ( i.e. I dont have to feed each unit ) It also helps the reservoir tank from getting nasty, especially if I use any organic type additives to my nutes like B vitamins or tea. I feel my reservoir water is notably cleaner and seems healthier now by having it circulated.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

I recently came across a hydro shop selling moded buckets with this idea. Nice to hear some feed back from this idea. I have to agree with the burping, doing some baby sitting in my closet till i find a home. Its not hot when the girls burp... There is another GH bucket sys out that moves all the water around your farm too. it uses more air pumps and tubes..

R

Resinator

Here are some pics I took of my spare unit

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_21591.jpg

IMG_21702.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_21691.jpg

L

lucky14

Awesome thanks for the pictures, do you find that your yield has improved since upgrading your system from standard? Do you find that the ph is pretty stable throughout an similar to each other when running three systems together or is there quite a variation from one to the next?

Great work by the way an thanks for sharing.

R

Resinator

Yield seems to be about the same as the bubbler method and PH remians pretty constant.

Top Bottom