PipeCarver's Nova Scotian grow den

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I rethought the cuttings now, I think I'll let the crack heal up a bit before I stress it any more. I took a couple of sm lower branches off before I paused and thought about it. I used some of the aloe on them and stuck them in some soil hope for the best.
Weekly update Oct 6. I bought some rooting gel and treated and wired the crack up and then transplanted my Cherry Bomb into a 5 gal pot and put in sm. bamboo poles for support and to spread it out. I took some cutting of her and put them in lightly fertilized peat and coir pods then into propagating dome 2 days ago.
I topped both KC 39 this week and they're both progressing nicely.
Bubba Kush is filling out and growing nice big fat fan leaves, typical of this Indica breed.
I opened up and bent a 48' ducting pipe into a reflector and attached it to the back side of my lights I'm not sure it will help much but wtf. I added another sm.fan to blow over the CB and I'm continuing to feed then half rations to what is recommended by General Hydroponics Flora system.

Oct 6 2019 009
Oct 6 2019 001
Oct 6 2019 005
Oct 6 2019 008
Oct 6 2019 010
Oct 6 2019 011
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Weekly update Oct 6. I bought some rooting gel and treated and wired the crack up and then transplanted my Cherry Bomb into a 5 gal pot and put in sm. bamboo poles for support and to spread it out. I took some cutting of her and put them in lightly fertilized peat and coir pods then into propagating dome 2 days ago.
I topped both KC 39 this week and they're both progressing nicely.
Bubba Kush is filling out and growing nice big fat fan leaves, typical of this Indica breed.
I opened up and bent a 48' ducting pipe into a reflector and attached it to the back side of my lights I'm not sure it will help much but wtf. I added another sm.fan to blow over the CB and I'm continuing to feed then half rations to what is recommended by General Hydroponics Flora system.
I topped the Cherry Bomb again today

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I topped the Cherry Bomb again today
I've had my lights on 24 hrs a day, when I took my cuttings something in my grey matter said they probably shouldn't get 24 hrs light for the first few days so I cut it back to 18/6. After 3 days now I turned them back on 24. I like the small amount of heat the lights give off, it keeps the veg. room around 75f. and gives off that warm humid vegging smell I like when I open the space up,

I know there's debate over 18/ 6 & 24 hrs and which is better but other than a few extra bucks a month I see bigger and faster growth on 24 hrs than on 18/6.

I use 4 -4ft t-8's 32w each & 1 4ft 50w t-5 + 1- 25w fan + recently added another 25w fan =
228 w x24 = 5472 w day x 30 days =164160 watts / 1000 = 164.16 kw x .15 ( price per kw) = $24.62 per month +tax
228 w x18 = 4104 w /day x 30 days =123120 watts / 1000 = 123.12 kw x .15 ( price per kw) = $18.46 per month + tax a difference of $6.16 + our 15% tax.

Less than 1 pint of beer in the pub. I believe our KW charge of .$15/ kw is one of the priciest in the country. With all that said unless I find another reason other than a couple of bucks per month I'll keep lights on 24/7 and skip the beer at the pub.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've had my lights on 24 hrs a day, when I took my cuttings something in my grey matter said they probably shouldn't get 24 hrs light for the first few days so I cut it back to 18/6. After 3 days now I turned them back on 24. I like the small amount of heat the lights give off, it keeps the veg. room around 75f. and gives off that warm humid vegging smell I like when I open the space up,

I know there's debate over 18/ 6 & 24 hrs and which is better but other than a few extra bucks a month I see bigger and faster growth on 24 hrs than on 18/6.

I use 4 -4ft t-8's 32w each & 1 4ft 50w t-5 + 1- 25w fan + recently added another 25w fan =
228 w x24 = 5472 w day x 30 days =164160 watts / 1000 = 164.16 kw x .15 ( price per kw) = $24.62 per month +tax
228 w x18 = 4104 w /day x 30 days =123120 watts / 1000 = 123.12 kw x .15 ( price per kw) = $18.46 per month + tax a difference of $6.16 + our 15% tax.

Less than 1 pint of beer in the pub. I believe our KW charge of .$15/ kw is one of the priciest in the country. With all that said unless I find another reason other than a couple of bucks per month I'll keep lights on 24/7 and skip the beer at the pub.
I added 2 CFL's a 50 w & 37w & I hope to pick up a couple more small lights tomorrow. I'm just trying to penetrate the canopy and supply more light deepr into the Cherry Bomb as it veg's over the next month or 2. It's starting to get too wide for my space already, its got nowhere to go but up until I create more space and allow her to spread out.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I added 2 CFL's a 50 w & 37w & I hope to pick up a couple more small lights tomorrow. I'm just trying to penetrate the canopy and supply more light deeper into the Cherry Bomb as it veg's over the next month or 2. It's starting to get too wide for my space already, its got nowhere to go but up until I create more space and allow her to spread out. Before the next watering on the KC39's and the Bubba Kush I will transplant them into 3 gallon pots which will give me more space in my room.
Added another light an led 65w full spectrum light over the CB just to help a bit on her larger canopy that I'm used to, I usually turn them by now and the lights I have are good enough to get them to here but over the next month or two I don't think my florescence will be enough to keep it thriving and not just existing. So the more lights the better & I can use the bit of added heat these extra few lights give off.

We went to Value village again today where I've bought most of my grow equipment
( fans,humidifiers,lights,pots, water jugs ect), picked up a clamping light fixture $4.99 for my new led light & a small oscillating fan ( can't have enough of them) for $7.99 less our seniors 30% discount taxes for under $10 in total.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Added another light an led 65w full spectrum light over the CB just to help a bit on her larger canopy that I'm used to, I usually turn them by now and the lights I have are good enough to get them to here but over the next month or two I don't think my florescence will be enough to keep it thriving and not just existing. So the more lights the better & I can use the bit of added heat these extra few lights give off.

We went to Value village again today where I've bought most of my grow equipment
( fans,humidifiers,lights,pots, water jugs ect), picked up a clamping light fixture $4.99 for my new led light & a small oscillating fan ( can't have enough of them) for $7.99 less our seniors 30% discount taxes for under $10 in total.
Oct 12 update. I transplanted the Bubba Kush and both KC39's into 3 gallon pots. I also added another 100w red light for heat and now have it a toasty 77f. and 65% humidity. Without the added light I can only get it to 72f and that's just not warm enough to go through the water in the larger pots.

It looks like 4 of my cutting are growing roots, Yeeha ! I put them in small pots and tossed the rest, I just don't have room for any more than that. I might even toss 1 or 2 of these if I get some different strains going via seed and I'll take a few cuttings off the Bubba Kush. Ultimately I'd like 1 Bubba, 1KC39,1Cherry Bomb & 1 Galiano Popcorn to fill my room in a never ending cycle.

The Cherry Bomb looks like its recovered from the split stalk and is spreading out nicely. Lots of new green under growth after the last topping, lots of new branches coming to the top.

Pic 1 - 2 KC39 & my cat Coal
Pic 2 - KC39 & Bubba Kush - Bubba is 1 week older than the KC39's
Pic 3 - Bubba Kush
Pic 4 - Cherry Bomb
Pic 5 - Cherry Bomb, 2-KC39 -Bubba
Pic 6 - 4 Cherry Bomb cuttings
Pic 7 - Full House

Oct 12 2019 002
Oct 12 2019 003
Oct 12 2019 004
Oct 12 2019 008
Oct 12 2019 010
Oct 12 2019 011
Oct 12 2019 013
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Oct 12 update. I transplanted the Bubba Kush and both KC39's into 3 gallon pots. I also added another 100w red light for heat and now have it a toasty 77f. and 65% humidity. Without the added light I can only get it to 72f and that's just not warm enough to go through the water in the larger pots.

It looks like 4 of my cutting are growing roots, Yeeha ! I put them in small pots and tossed the rest, I just don't have room for any more than that. I might even toss 1 or 2 of these if I get some different strains going via seed and I'll take a few cuttings off the Bubba Kush. Ultimately I'd like 1 Bubba, 1KC39,1Cherry Bomb & 1 Galiano Popcorn to fill my room in a never ending cycle.

The Cherry Bomb looks like its recovered from the split stalk and is spreading out nicely. Lots of new green under growth after the last topping, lots of new branches coming to the top.

Pic 1 - 2 KC39 & my cat Coal
Pic 2 - KC39 & Bubba Kush - Bubba is 1 week older than the KC39's
Pic 3 - Bubba Kush
Pic 4 - Cherry Bomb
Pic 5 - Cherry Bomb, 2-KC39 -Bubba
Pic 6 - 4 Cherry Bomb cuttings
Pic 7 - Full House
I just can't take it any longer, fk the plan to veg the CB another month, it's time to turn her. I put the Cherry Bomb, 2- KC39's and a Bubba Kush into the flower room, I'm going to go 18/6 on the 1000 watt for a few days then onto 12/12 for the Cherry Bomb only. I'll keep vegging the BK and 2 KC39's another few weeks. I had to add a humidifier to the flower room to get it up into the mid 50% range today, they were looking a bit dry at 40%. Funny fkn province yesterday 65% and today around 40% in my grow space with the light on.
Clones are growing roots out of the small pots I put them in, time for larger pots tomorrow. New growth on top, alls good under the dome.
I trimed up the lower growth today / lollypopping I guess its called on the Cherry Bomb thats about 3 months old today. So she's looking a bit naked underneath.

I just ordered a new Hortilux 1000-Watt Super HPS Spectrum Grow lamp as my old one is now about a year old. I guess I'll put her on 12/12 when amazon gets it to me.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I just can't take it any longer, fk the plan to veg the CB another month, it's time to turn her. I put the Cherry Bomb, 2- KC39's and a Bubba Kush into the flower room, I'm going to go 18/6 on the 1000 watt for a few days then onto 12/12 for the Cherry Bomb only. I'll keep vegging the BK and 2 KC39's another few weeks. I had to add a humidifier to the flower room to get it up into the mid 50% range today, they were looking a bit dry at 40%. Funny fkn province yesterday 65% and today around 40% in my grow space with the light on.
Clones are growing roots out of the small pots I put them in, time for larger pots tomorrow. New growth on top, alls good under the dome.
I trimed up the lower growth today / lollypopping I guess its called on the Cherry Bomb thats about 3 months old today. So she's looking a bit naked underneath.

I just ordered a new Hortilux 1000-Watt Super HPS Spectrum Grow lamp as my old one is now about a year old. I guess I'll put her on 12/12 when amazon gets it to me.

Cherry Bomb 3 months
Bubb KC39s
All 4
CBclones
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Very clean creative grow you got going on. And a super detailed journal too. Nice work man.

I look foward to your new bulb results. I find my horti 600’s to be degraded by 9-10 months. I used to use galaxy ballasts. I got solis tech on sale this year and they run the lamps brighter. I got my best yields ever after switching and using brand new hps bulbs. But i think at 6 months now i see the growth start to slow and leaf health suffering. It kinda looks less bright or maybe more red in the room early too.

Anyway. Sorry for the babbling post. I think a year is past their prime. And i think you will notice the improvement.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Very clean creative grow you got going on. And a super detailed journal too. Nice work man.

I look foward to your new bulb results. I find my horti 600’s to be degraded by 9-10 months. I used to use galaxy ballasts. I got solis tech on sale this year and they run the lamps brighter. I got my best yields ever after switching and using brand new hps bulbs. But i think at 6 months now i see the growth start to slow and leaf health suffering. It kinda looks less bright or maybe more red in the room early too.

Anyway. Sorry for the babbling post. I think a year is past their prime. And i think you will notice the improvement.
I have it boosted to 110% just until I get my new lamp, I'm lucky it's cool enough to be able to use the heat generated by the light at 110%. I'd have to heat my space if I had LED lights, now I vent the extra heat into my veg room because t-8 florescent just don't give off enough heat to keep that room toasty. I was able to turn off my 100W red light I was using for heat now that I've vented the extra heat from the hps to where its needed.

I was keeping a journal on a desktop calendar but the fking thing kept updating and freezing up my desktop when it did so turfed it. I need to keep things documented somewhere to keep track on what I did and when I did it.( the old brain aint what it used to be ) This site here I can keep pics attached and keep track of my progress. Just participating on this site has given me new excitement in growing. I like following along others diaries with their trial and tribulations and learning as I go.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have it boosted to 110% just until I get my new lamp, I'm lucky it's cool enough to be able to use the heat generated by the light at 110%. I'd have to heat my space if I had LED lights, now I vent the extra heat into my veg room because t-8 florescent just don't give off enough heat to keep that room toasty. I was able to turn off my 100W red light I was using for heat now that I've vented the extra heat from the hps to where its needed.

I was keeping a journal on a desktop calendar but the fking thing kept updating and freezing up my desktop when it did so turfed it. I need to keep things documented somewhere to keep track on what I did and when I did it.( the old brain aint what it used to be ) This site here I can keep pics attached and keep track of my progress. Just participating on this site has given me new excitement in growing. I like following along others diaries with their trial and tribulations and learning as I go.

Same here, I find I'm keeping better track of things by running a grow diary here. And it's awesome to have another community of growers to shoot the shit with.

I think you'll like the hortilux bulb, I've been running them for the past few years. But I will say I recently tried out cheap chinese bulbs that were $40 because I was getting tired of paying $100 a bulb every 6 months for the hortilux, and I got identical results. Cant remember the brand but I'll post it later when I get home.
They should really just be changed out after 6 months regardless. Like MiMed said I can almost see them getting redder and less intense after that.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Same here, I find I'm keeping better track of things by running a grow diary here. And it's awesome to have another community of growers to shoot the shit with.

I think you'll like the hortilux bulb, I've been running them for the past few years. But I will say I recently tried out cheap chinese bulbs that were $40 because I was getting tired of paying $100 a bulb every 6 months for the hortilux, and I got identical results. Cant remember the brand but I'll post it later when I get home.
They should really just be changed out after 6 months regardless. Like MiMed said I can almost see them getting redder and less intense after that.
I've always bought cheap bulbs in the $60-70 range and I've used the hell out of them on 100% that's was the only option on the old ballast I had. I Googled best 1000W hps for growing cannabis and this was the top pick. Amazon has it for $104cdn shipped taxes in so wtf I giver a try. I'm kicking myself for not dropping to a 600watt when my last ballast went on me. Everything just cost less and covers just about as much area as the 1000w, but then again I really like the results I can get under the 1000w

I've read a lot of comments here and some stick others just drift by. One was from a Seraphine ? I think. She said her husband calls her upgrade because of her growing style. I liked that, I've set myself to emulate that nickname . Not so much in equipment but in How can I improve my grow environment & daily and move forward with actions not just thoughts. Procrastination is a disease brought on by over consumption and age.

Now back to Breaking Bad. run3 lol then whatever ball game is on.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've always bought cheap bulbs in the $60-70 range and I've used the hell out of them on 100% that's was the only option on the old ballast I had. I Googled best 1000W hps for growing cannabis and this was the top pick. Amazon has it for $104cdn shipped taxes in so wtf I giver a try. I'm kicking myself for not dropping to a 600watt when my last ballast went on me. Everything just cost less and covers just about as much area as the 1000w, but then again I really like the results I can get under the 1000w

I've read a lot of comments here and some stick others just drift by. One was from a Seraphine ? I think. She said her husband calls her upgrade because of her growing style. I liked that, I've set myself to emulate that nickname . Not so much in equipment but in How can I improve my grow environment & daily and move forward with actions not just thoughts. Procrastination is a disease brought on by over consumption and age.
Nice looking plants! I have to turn my 1000w HPS down in the warm weather, and after a few years I didn't notice too much of a difference between running it at 600 vs. 1000 so now I run it at 600 all year

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

I've used both 600 and 1000w quite a bit and just slightly prefer the 1000's. Not much can compare to them for growing massive tops.

In my 8x8 I had the choice of running 4x600's or 2x 1000's, and the 2 thous are just cheaper to run, cheaper to setup, and cheaper to replace lamps. Around here 1000w lamps are often cheaper than 600's, though not by much.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've used both 600 and 1000w quite a bit and just slightly prefer the 1000's. Not much can compare to them for growing massive tops.

In my 8x8 I had the choice of running 4x600's or 2x 1000's, and the 2 thous are just cheaper to run, cheaper to setup, and cheaper to replace lamps. Around here 1000w lamps are often cheaper than 600's, though not by much.
Oct 16 A new issue has popped up,fk, it's always something. I've noticed some leaf curl and spots on new growth and I don't know what the problem is and I'm wondering if you know what this might be? This is the Cherry Bomb that's 3 months old.

Another unrelated issue was my room was at 89f and 35% humidity this morning. I'd noticed it dry yesterday and added a 2 gallon humidifier to the room and it ran dry overnight but I was shocked at how low the rh was. Our house has a air recovery system that controls the humidity to some extent and I had it set to 40% because of our humid weather here but wholly fk 35%! I've reset it to 50% and added another humidifier I hope that will work better.

Leaf twist spot 1
Leaf twist spots 3
Leaf twist spots
Leaf twist spots2
Leaf twist
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The first thing I do is always check for bugs; the next thing would be check runoff, or better is a slurry test.

that was from last year but I recall it, I believe it was caused by over fertilization made worse by low soil PH. This was when I started adding Dolomite to my soil and I haven't had an issue since

Are you in soil, coco or peat? Have you had any big pH fluctuations recently?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah just by looking at it I'm not sure. Need to know feed rates, slurry test or runoff readings, food inputs etc. Looks like it's either taken up something it shouldnt have, or its been damaged by a chemical spray on the young shoots or something.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It looks like too much nutes to me. I have Rh s low as 15% in the winter with no real issues once the plants get a little larger. Once they grow a little, they will provide their own increased Rh rom leaf transpiration, provided the air exchange isn't too high and the plants are leafy.
I would recommend a slurry, as mentioned earlier, as well as a PPM measurement... I thin you will find the problem with the help of those two bits of information.

Top Bottom