Pipes Of The World And Their History

• Thread starter xPeacePipex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xPeacePipex

xPeacePipex

I am a Pipe Keeper/maker and with this said I feel most people sadly have no clue to the origins of mans many differing pipes and all the types found in the most ancient of times reflecting on today's new age types.Along with their history and uses from the Sacred ceremonial Pipes of my people (American Indian) to the Calabash of Africa, this thread will be covering and every pipe known to man in between the ancientest of times to the most modern. Not all cultures had pipes until the new world met the old, but long ago all pipes were sacred and revered at one time..

Their are as many different types of Pipes now as their are types of herb. But with this said they all have ancient origins and stories to tell. My oldest pipe is over 500 years old and I do smoke out of it now and then... I have pipes made of many different types of stone and I have many made of glass as well as wood and bone along with antler.

You name it and I probably have it in my collection. I even make nice pipes and bongs out of gourds and next I will be working on making my own sacred traditional Calabash...The Sherlock style pipe is a take of it and it reflects in even today's modern glass Sherlock styled pipes.

Anybody else care to talk about pipes and their history ?

*Note This is a rough time scale and only partial but it reflects and emphasizes on the Europeans beginnings with pipes more than anything else.

A brief history of the pipe
2000 BC Remains of tobacco leaves and pipes are found in Egyptian mummies. This is yet to be explained scientifically.

1500 BC Pipes are used by North American indians for ceremonial purposes and as a symbol of reconciliation.

300 AC The Greek doctor Hypocrites used smoke inhalation from herbs as a remedy

for certain female diseases.

1000 The herb "Angelikarot" is smoked in pipes in Norway.

1492 Columbus discovers (or maybe rediscovers) America and the use of tobacco.

1519 The tobacco plant reaches Europe.

1559 Jean Nicot launches the tobacco plant as a multiremedy; among the french royalties it becomes fashionable to "sneeze away the headache".

1580 Chalk pipes are mass produced - mostly for mariners.

1586 A ban on smoking is included in the ten revised commandments in Switzerland.

1600 Iron pipes are used in Norway, also among the laps.

1604 The first anti tobacco campaign is launched by Jacob the 1th of England.

1618-1648 During the 30 years war, pipe smoking gains recognition throughout Europe.

1619-1630 Christian the IVth of Denmark & Norway punishes smoking on ships by keel-hauling.

1630 The death penalty is introduced for smoking in Turkey, Russia and China. These punishments seem to disappear when the regents discover the enormous amount of income tax tobacco can generate.

1720 Meerschaum is discovered and becomes the highest regarded pipe material.

1820 The cigar becomes fashionable in western Europe.

1840 From its birthplace in Jura, France, the briar pipe gains world popularity.
Bigger and longer pipes are however in use until about 1920.

1853-1856 The war at Crime introduces the cigarette to the west from Turkey.

Canman

Canman

Have you guys ever smoked out of an "earth bong". My friend got smoked out in 1990 this way in Jamaica (he said). Have a good day.

Canman

Calixylon

Calixylon

i really wanna fashion myself a stone sebsi, its a kif pipe used in morrocco, they load up a single large hit of kif either stright up or with some tobacco mixed in. I wanna make it out of stone. Its pretty much a small L shape elbow bowl, and you use a long foot or more length of tube. In morrocco they traditionally use a long stem from the indica plants that grow there. They come out long, tall, and straight, simply push a coat hanger thru the hollow stem pith, and use that as you pipe stem.

Pipe
Brenda90

Brenda90

Wow. This thread is really informative. I didn't think that this pipes of the world actually can have a history.
Mr. Belvedere, What is that monster?

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Wow. This thread is really informative. I didn't think that this pipes of the world actually can have a history.
Mr. Belvedere, What is that monster?

It's just a water pipe with bear claws (?), has the carb In the front and the bowl is there in the middle :) the artist is a Virginia local

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I been using a Japanese kiseiru for 20years. They been around for thousands of years in japan. They are the perfect 1 hitter pipe. Easy to clean. This is how its made maybe turn the volume off if you dont wanna here Japanese lol Pretty awesome though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom