Pistils Turning Brown And Crusty

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
303 DUB

303 DUB

Do all of your tops look like that? Or just several?

Looks like how pistils get when they are physically disturbed; for example I'll see that on preflowers where fan leafs are repeatedly tapping/bumping against the flowers due to airflow moving things around. Or preflowers that are repeatedly touched for whatever reason... or far too close to the light with not enough airflow.

Doesn't look like pollinated pistils/calyces to me, which has a pretty distinct look IMO. But the pic quality is kind of hard to tell.

It's not even happening to several I would say I've seen this in about 10 flowers at the most through my entire 20 plant flower room. That's just 10 individual flowers throughout the garden, not ten plants. Some that it's happening to are really close to the light and some arent.

Myco

Myco

It's not even happening to several I would say I've seen this in about 10 flowers at the most through my entire 20 plant flower room. That's just 10 individual flowers throughout the garden, not ten plants. Some that it's happening to are really close to the light and some arent.
I feel you... well if there's nothing physically disturbing the pistils on the affected flowets whether it be fan leafs rubbing against them, intense airflow or intense light... I'd be worrying about pests... I really don't think they're pollinated calyces - but need better pics to say for certain.

303 DUB

303 DUB

I feel you... well if there's nothing physically disturbing the pistils on the affected flowets whether it be fan leafs rubbing against them, intense airflow or intense light... I'd be worrying about pests... I really don't think they're pollinated calyces - but need better pics to say for certain.

I went through the effected plants with a microscope for a good half hour and saw no mites (not to say that not it) so i don't THINK that's what it is. I did have a light leak that was fixed about three weeks ago so that could be causing some hemaphrodite action. The fan blowing on them could be causing it or to close to the light.. ugh I just don't know!! Drives me nutsss! I'm gonna have abother thorough look through microscope tonight and get some better photos of calyxs and of the effected flowers to maybe give you guys better info for maybe a more difinitive answer.

Myco

Myco

Well, for what it's worth after looking at the pics again... This last picture I quoted really doesn't look like pollination or damage from mites to me whatsoever... or even a nutrient thing. It looks exactly how pistils look when they get physically damaged. Have you been moving the plants around a lot? Walking through the garden and brushing up against pre-flowers? Anything like that? If they've been relatively untouched in that sense, then it's either light intensity or fan leaves bouncing around on preflowers. I wouldn't trip at the moment unless it seems to get more widespread... and watch your distance from light to canopy...

The second pic, though out of focus, looks look only one side of the preflower has brown pistils... that really narrows it down to some kind of physical damage if that be the case.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well last round I dealt with hemaphrodites in the same room but after that round was done I sprayed (drenched) the entire room with water and let it air dry for a week before putting anything else in that room. I've been looking for male sex organs everyday and havent seen anything that suggests male sex organs. Lime I said above there are some fat bases were the pistils come out from but no ball sacks any where. It just started happeneing a few days ago and only to a few plants. What should I be looking for @Seamaiden and is that normal having real fat bases where the pistils shoot out from because some are fat bases and a lot arent?
Consider other options here, has anyone else visited or have you visited someone else (who may have had a hermie/male)? Are there likely other growers in your area? Could something like a pesticide have been used recently in the area?

Right now, I feel like it's probably a one-time thing, but if it's pollination those pistils that were pollinated should be completely dried and red by now. If so, expect seeding. If not, then I personally think it's some other environmental violation as I'm suggesting above. And if that's the case, I think those ladies should continue chugging along.

303 DUB

303 DUB

Consider other options here, has anyone else visited or have you visited someone else (who may have had a hermie/male)? Are there likely other growers in your area? Could something like a pesticide have been used recently in the area?

Right now, I feel like it's probably a one-time thing, but if it's pollination those pistils that were pollinated should be completely dried and red by now. If so, expect seeding. If not, then I personally think it's some other environmental violation as I'm suggesting above. And if that's the case, I think those ladies should continue chugging along.

Ok so, my buddy had a grow that some his plants got pollinated and hermied out on him. The flower that we salvaged was brought to my house after it was hung cured and put in jars. We did open them up inside my house but upstairs. My grow is down two flights of stairs and there's a door shut and also a big piece of canvas nailed to the wall that seals the room up. I didn't let my friend down into my grow for fear of pollination and that flower from his grow never went anywhere but upstairs. You really think that could be the bed pooping culprit? I don't see any signs of male anything on these plants granted this shit just started about a week and half ago. I've been checking everyday for male looking sex organs.

303 DUB

303 DUB

Another thing I might add is that I'm noticing new growth, monsterous growth from pretty much all of these plants daily. I did have a light leak as well which leads me to lean even further towards a possible pollination. I guess there just aren't enough signs as of now to make a definitive diagnosis. I don't want to wait for ball sacks and more pollen getting around any of the other plants in the room and screwing things up worse.. dangerous game waiting to see.

Myco

Myco

I have male plants dropping their jizz in the room next door to my flower room and I never really get accidental pollination...

I suppose it's possible you carried some pollen on yourself - but again, the pistils don't look like they've been pollinated. Like Seamaiden said the pistils should be completely dried up and red at this point... and usually within a relatively short period of time the calyces have a peculiar look to them if they are forming seed.

Get some better pics and you'll get more definitive help.

And as for a "dangerous waiting game" - you should always be on the look out for male genitalia regardless. But if anything HAS been pollinated, there's nothing you can do about that, obviously.

303 DUB

303 DUB

When you say wierd
I have male plants dropping their jizz in the room next door to my flower room and I never really get accidental pollination...

I suppose it's possible you carried some pollen on yourself - but again, the pistils don't look like they've been pollinated. Like Seamaiden said the pistils should be completely dried up and red at this point... and usually within a relatively short period of time the calyces have a peculiar look to them if they are forming seed.

Get some better pics and you'll get more definitive help.

And as for a "dangerous waiting game" - you should always be on the look out for male genitalia regardless. But if anything HAS been pollinated, there's nothing you can do about that, obviously.

When you say wierd looking calyxs, could you be more specific? Pics coming next

303 DUB

303 DUB

Right above my thumb is an example of a fat base where pistils are coming out from? Is that normal?

20150530 220127
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Everything in that picture looks 100% normal.

I think @Myco may be correct, if this is present on only a few flower tops interspersed through the room with no pattern, very likely it's from you or a guest rubbing against the plant or a big fan leaf rubbing the buds. Never hurts to check plants for stamen though.

I'd suggest that unless a great number of plants begin showing the same signs, pollination can be largely ruled as unlikely.

303 DUB

303 DUB

Yes that's great news. Ok Thanks very much to all of you. I appreciate all of your help very very much. I will update this thread on how we look through the next few weeks. Thanks again everybody

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

I have been waiting for this thread.....this is not pollination... I know that much, this started showing up in one of my rooms about 8 months ago. its in both now, very sporadic... I thought at first it was as @Myco said physical damage(my room is packed w/ a lot of fans) because the plants push through it....but it infected pistils that were untouched/undisturbed.... I also suspected fertilizer salts or foliar that I was using...but I don't think that is it either..... I think its a pest, I just cant identify it... 2 reasons, 1) plants treated early on with spinosad, are less likely or don't show this.... reason 2)my girl said something is bothering them and not the "baby spiders".....to explain a bit my girl becomes very itchy when there are bugs in my room, and in some way or another something goes on between my plants and her.....you can see it physically in the plants and on her(arm hair stands straight up, goosbumps, itching, blood flow) and she has told me things about them that she couldn't possibly have known, I need to grill her on this....seriously...iv thought about starting a thread on that topic,.... but moving on.... this effects the plants the worst when I don't keep up on preventative pest management and cleanliness or try to just use bennies.... For me this usually phases out around weeks 4-6....plants finish, on to the next one... I will post some pics when the lights click on, its only effecting one plant in my room right now that I suspect was missed during spray....

303 DUB

303 DUB

I have been waiting for this thread.....this is not pollination... I know that much, this started showing up in one of my rooms about 8 months ago. its in both now, very sporadic... I thought at first it was as @Myco said physical damage(my room is packed w/ a lot of fans) because the plants push through it....but it infected pistils that were untouched/undisturbed.... I also suspected fertilizer salts or foliar that I was using...but I don't think that is it either..... I think its a pest, I just cant identify it... 2 reasons, 1) plants treated early on with spinosad, are less likely or don't show this.... reason 2)my girl said something is bothering them and not the "baby spiders".....to explain a bit my girl becomes very itchy when there are bugs in my room, and in some way or another something goes on between my plants and her.....you can see it physically in the plants and on her(arm hair stands straight up, goosbumps, itching, blood flow) and she has told me things about them that she couldn't possibly have known, I need to grill her on this....seriously...iv thought about starting a thread on that topic,.... but moving on.... this effects the plants the worst when I don't keep up on preventative pest management and cleanliness or try to just use bennies.... For me this usually phases out around weeks 4-6....plants finish, on to the next one... I will post some pics when the lights click on, its only effecting one plant in my room right now that I suspect was missed during spray....

That's interesting. I'd love to see the pics

Myco

Myco

Post from @jimmythehat is interesting, I'd like to see pics as well.

I'm still stuck on the fact that the pics show physical damage occurred to the pistils in question, however I'll stick around out of curiosity. But better pics would be great, OP @303 DUB ... I do hope it's something simple and cause no issues for you as this garden finishes out. Broad mites or any other sinister problem could be a real motherfucker.

FTR - Another thing that can cause early pistil death is the dreaded DUDDING that some people have dealt with... however, again, the pics don't look as so to me; and usually pistils dying early are the least of your concerns/problems.

BTW @303 DUB - when I mentioned that a pollinated /calyxpistil gets a "peculiar" look to it in an earlier post you asked about - I don't have any pictures that could explain what I mean, however, just days after pollination occurs, there is an obvious change in the structure of the calyx compared to others around it. Before it (pollinated calyx) actually swells as seed forms, it just has a more rigid, stout appearance due to the little proto-seed that is brewing.

First time I dealt with accidental pollination, I didn't really notice until I had big ol' fat greenish seeds... but once you deal with it a several times and purposely pollinate flowers, you get an eye for pollinated calyces/pistils pretty quick.

Good luck!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You learn it when you're trying to make beans, too. It's how I know within a day whether I've been successful or not. I, too, will be following along should @303 DUB decide to continue with the thread. I'm hoping that it was just the fans or something like that.

303 DUB

303 DUB

Here is a some better pics of two different strains that are effected the first two pics are of the same flower site and the second set of photos is a different flower site, different strain.

20150601 112425
20150601 112436
20150601 112603
20150601 112620
jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

This is how it starts....I will photograph another plant in a few hours when the lights come on....the part that confuses me about this is the plants always push through finish as usual and show no deficiencies(within reason). I use bennies often, and keep a moderately clean setup so maybe am I just keeping the broad mite at bay? Iv burnt pistils with potassium nitrate as well, could it be one of my salts? @Myco is right that this looks just like wind damage, and I have some damaged/windburnt pistils on every run, but when it's physical damage it's a little more intense then what's happening here.....

20150601 181458
303 DUB

303 DUB

This is how it starts....I will photograph another plant in a few hours when the lights come on....the part that confuses me about this is the plants always push through finish as usual and show no deficiencies(within reason). I use bennies often, and keep a moderately clean setup so maybe am I just keeping the broad mite at bay? Iv burnt pistils with potassium nitrate as well, could it be one of my salts? @Myco is right that this looks just like wind damage, and I have some damaged/windburnt pistils on every run, but when it's physical damage it's a little more intense then what's happening here.....

Looks pretty darn similar!

Latest posts

Top Bottom